• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Terry Venables

a69933222d878a24f929130ac7fd995c

Really sad news, great manager for us and England.
I think the biggest compliments I can give is he was one of the very few who understood Gazza.
Thanks for the memories El Tel.

Was a great motivator and man manager, El Tel brought exciting and expansive footy wherever he went. Always had a cheeky smile, thoughts and prayers for his family in this tragic time RIP Terry, part of my footy growing up in the 80s onwards

it always amazes me that he had a deep tan even back then. I think he must have been a trail blazer for Costa Del Sol holidays.

Always liked Venables. I’m 44 so he was managing during my formative years as a fan. We were very flaky but entertaining as f**k and that cup run was magic. I never really understood at the time why he moved upstairs for Shreeves in 91/92 and what his actual role was when Livermore and Clemence coached us in 92/93.

Was raging with Sugar when he sacked Venables. Like most fans, I was firmly on El Tel’s side but time has made me appreciate that Sugar was right in what he did. Venables, for all his footballing brilliance, charisma and likeability wasn’t averse to a dodgy deal or two.

Really enjoyed his England team. I’m not English but I really think that losing him was a massive lost opportunity for you boys to really do something on the international stage.

Will always be remembered fondly I think – a great football man and someone you couldn’t help but like (from his public persona anyway).

Was such a an innovative manager. Remember being over the moon when we appointed him. Also remember the inevitable poor results such as a 2-1 loss to Port Vale in the cup. All ended abruptly just when his 92 team led by Vinny Samways and Razor Ruddock (!) were starting to look promising. I truly believe if he had focused on just the football more trophies would have followed.

And, although Sugar was right about the dodgy dealing, sacking Venables then began years of mediocrity and falling behind Man U, Arsenal etc.

Never saw him as a player, but truly one of our greatest ever managers. For anyone under about 45, that 91 FA Cup win is our greatest footballing memory

I'd heard a while ago he had alzheimers, so hopefully this is a release for him and his
I believe he was the first player to be capped at every level from schoolboy to full international.

He never really fulfilled his promise as a player. He was quick-witted, creative and inventive but not fast or industrious. A solid 7/10, I'd say.

I think when he handed over to Shreeves and then Livermore/Clemence he was getting a bit bored with coaching and was more interested in being a "manager"/CEO rather than a coach; whether that was because there was more opportunity to make a bob or two handling the transfers, we'll never know but that would be my guess.

He was one of several big-name players to emerge from the Dagenham/Barking area; others included Alf Ramsey, Jimmy Greaves, Bobby Moore and Trevor Brooking while Martin Peters was born a bit further up the road in Plaistow. I don't know whether I stopped noticing but the Essex/East End hinterland (that area was Essex before the creation of the Greater London Council) conveyor belt seemed to stop producing top players after the sixties ended, although I suppose grudgingly I have to accept that John Terry was a good centre-back (but not as good as that bloke with one leg from Bow).

His style of player suited the young Chelsea side who had plenty of pacy players and he dropped passes into space for them, Greavsie and Gilly wanted it to feet.

Last edited:
Always liked Venables. I’m 44 so he was managing during my formative years as a fan. We were very flaky but entertaining as f**k and that cup run was magic. I never really understood at the time why he moved upstairs for Shreeves in 91/92 and what his actual role was when Livermore and Clemence coached us in 92/93.

Was raging with Sugar when he sacked Venables. Like most fans, I was firmly on El Tel’s side but time has made me appreciate that Sugar was right in what he did. Venables, for all his footballing brilliance, charisma and likeability wasn’t averse to a dodgy deal or two.

Really enjoyed his England team. I’m not English but I really think that losing him was a massive lost opportunity for you boys to really do something on the international stage.

Will always be remembered fondly I think – a great football man and someone you couldn’t help but like (from his public persona anyway).
What's wrong with a dodgy deal..tax lawyers and the rest of the hypocrites do them...

Back