• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

But how do you fairly stop the game to make challenge? How quickly does the challenge have to be made?

How do you fairly restart the game if the challenge fails?

What stops using a challenge to break up a counter attack late in the game?

It's a minefield.
You don't stop play - the manager or captain signals to the video ref as play continues.

If the challenge is upheld then you bring play back.

Not sure that would work. Players would be too distracted, especially if it's a key decision like was a goal offside or not.
Maybe in the beginning, but I'm sure players will adapt quickly enough. In most instances they probably won't know if it's been contested or not.

Then of course there will be controversy the fist few times someone's denied a goal when play is brought back (it will be us, surely), but it will at least in theory be based on a more thorough refereeing decision. It will be frustrating, but not any more frustrating than a blatant handball and penalty not given because the ref didn't see it, IMO.

Not saying there aren't potential problems with this, because there's many, but I think it can work if executed the right way.

You don't stop play - the manager or captain signals to the video ref as play continues.

Im sorry but that sounds ultra pants, so you play on for a minute or so and if a decision is upheld you stop and bring it back?

The whole thing is unnecessary for me, the game is great as it is

exactly, you return to the point of the infringement and give the wronged team a FK/Pen/Throw/Corner/etc

an appropriate amount of stoppage time is added at the end of the half

What about things that end up happening in what turns out to be a dead period? If you have a pen shout not given, play goes on and one of yours breaks a Gooner's legs, and then video ref says oh actually that was a pen, do you still get your medal?

What about things that end up happening in what turns out to be a dead period? If you have a pen shout not given, play goes on and one of yours breaks a Gooner's legs, and then video ref says oh actually that was a pen, do you still get your medal?

same as any other offence committed when the ball is out of play I guess

you get a pen and a red card

The solution is obvious. Each manager starts the game wearing 4 pairs of trousers.

The inner pair are red, the next layer are orange, the next layer is green and then the outer layer is black.

If he wants to appeal a decision, he has to take off one pair of trousers and wave them over his head, before the ball leaves the endzone.

He has 3 appeals, rising in levels of intensity. If he makes the fourth appeal he goes to pink skin zone A and has to put on one of Arsene Wenger's coats and zip it all the way up to his chin.

The solution is obvious. Each manager starts the game wearing 4 pairs of trousers.

The inner pair are red, the next layer are orange, the next layer is green and then the outer layer is black.

If he wants to appeal a decision, he has to take off one pair of trousers and wave them over his head, before the ball leaves the endzone.

He has 3 appeals, rising in levels of intensity. If he makes the fourth appeal he goes to pink skin zone A and has to put on one of Arsene Wenger's coats and zip it all the way up to his chin.
It is so obvious. Why the fudge hasn't someone thought of this before.

Flow of the game won't change whether you stop the clock or not. It's just that the time won't count when the ball is out of play. You could even put a time limit of say 10 seconds to take a FK or throw in after the ref has signaled. This will get rid of blatant time wasting and controversy of goals scored in added time of added time, where no-one really knows how much time is left.

Time wasting is only part of the tactic, it helps to slow the tempo of the game and unsettle the opposition.

The game is the most popular in the world and still growing in interest and participation - there must be a reason for this even when comparing to other sports that "have moved with the times" . It is very simple and can be played almost anywhere and I think this is a big part of the popularity. I would be extremely hesitant to make any fundamental changes although I concede there have been some that have been very beneficial - Back pass / Subs

Time wasting is only part of the tactic, it helps to slow the tempo of the game and unsettle the opposition.
Wrong. Time wasting is by definition not allowed, and a punishable offence. It's the referees lack of ability or unwillingness to to follow the wording of the rules, that has lead to it becoming an (unfair and highly irritating) tactic.

Wrong. Time wasting is by definition not allowed, and a punishable offence. It's the referees lack of ability or unwillingness to to follow the wording of the rules, that has lead to it becoming an (unfair and highly irritating) tactic.

I think you misunderstand my point, it's not allowed and is unsporting, teams don't just want to waste time they want to disrupt the opponents play, get them to lose their focus, often you see they win a freekick after they've wasted time at a goal kick or throw in as players get agitated. Adding time or the odd booking is not very effective, awarding a freekick at a throw in or corner at goal kick would make teams less likely to do it as they would be allowing an opportunity to score.

Back