• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Technology And Refereeing

Fudging modern technology, ruining the beautiful game!

CXU-i0BWYAMym-g

Correct according to who? It's always an element of subjectivity. Stopping the game at every instant is NOT the solution!

Very few people are actually arguing for stopping the game at every instant so that's a bit of a straw man.

There will be a level of subjectivity. But the chance to give a video referee more information to make a decision that will have some level of subjectivity in it seems a lot closer to fair than the situation we find ourselves in right now.

A significant portion of the subjectivity of the refereeing decisions is problematic.

The biggest issue with football today, is the fudgeing constant scrutiny and endless replays in super slow-mo from 50 different angles, and commentators and pundits bitching and looking at endless replays, blaming the ref for maybe making the wrong decision , because more often than not, they can't make it out even after 50 replays! If TV-stations stopped doing that brick, there ain't much of a "problem" anymore! There isn't a single other sport where the refs get such an unfair scrutiny after every fudgeing game, despite getting 99,9% of decisions correct!Refs are part of the game. Get on with it!

Not even close to the biggest issues with football. It's relatively easy to stay away from if one doesn't like it.

Your hyperbole is getting a bit out of hand. Refs get 99,9% of decisions correct, yet more often than not pundits and commentators can't get it right even after 50 replays? I realize you're trying to make a point, but you're completely ignoring the point that more information allows one to make a better decision.

If we're talking about issues with football today simulation/diving, a lack of respect for the referee trying to crowd or otherwise influence the ref and time wasting are much bigger problems. Quite a few of those also impact referees negatively and the situation could be aided with the use of technology. Do you think a player would run around complaining about a decision knowing that if his manager used one of his challenges it would be proved incorrect and he would have spent a challenge and/or lost a sub (as Scara suggested)? Don't you think diving and outright efforts at conning the referee would diminish with the knowledge that a video referee would see the cheat punished immediately 95%+ of the time?

I realize you've been a ref, and I accept refs get treated unfairly a lot of the time. But if anyone stands to benefit from more technology it's the refs. Their authority will be raised a lot by having their decision making improved by technology. You only have to look at how goal line technology has helped the refs in this instance. Used to be a typical situation of players crowding the ref, whinging for minutes, crowd getting on the ref's back, drawn out video analysis afterwards, players and managers complaining to the press for weeks... Now the situation is resolved in a second, players instinctively complain for a second or two more and then realize it's futile and move on. The ref is in a much stronger position thanks to the technology.

At the very least the FA has very belatedly started gathering information on how technology can be used to aid the situation. Makes for a refreshing change from the "technology is bad" refrain we've been hearing for so long.

As a big fan of rugby, I genuinely think the technology has improved the game and I don't see why it can't do the same for football. Not saying it should be implemented in exactly the same way, but I definitely think a ref should be able to talk with a video official after certain incidents (at the ref's discretion - if he feels confident he saw everything, then no need to consult) and clarify exactly what happened. It should be used sparingly, but I think it should be used.

Hibernian midfielder Francis Fyvie has been handed a two-match suspension for feigning injury in a clash with Rangers.

Fyvie accepted the punishment from the Scottish Football Association after holding his face when Rangers midfielder Andy Halliday thrust his chest into Fyvie’s own chest during the home side’s 4-2 Ladbrokes Championship win at Ibrox on Monday.

Referee Bobby Madden showed a straight red card to the former Livingston, Middlesbrough and Bradford player.

The disciplinary charge stated that Fyvie had “committed an act of simulation in that you feigned that you had received a blow to the face or head from Andrew Halliday of Rangers FC”.

It continued: “That this act of simulation supported an error of judgement by the match referee that Andrew Halliday had headbutted you upon the face or head, and caused the match referee to make an incorrect decision to dismiss Andrew Halliday for the offence of violent conduct.”

The SFA confirmed it had received an appeal from Rangers for unfair dismissal, which will be heard on January 7, freeing Halliday to face Dumbarton on Saturday.

Halliday also appeared to kick out at Fyvie before moving his chest into the former Aberdeen midfielder.

Fyvie will miss the league and William Hill Scottish Cup double header against Raith Rovers.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/hibernian-player-banned-for-feigning-injury

This sort of thing could be sorted out on the spot instead.

As a big fan of rugby, I genuinely think the technology has improved the game and I don't see why it can't do the same for football. Not saying it should be implemented in exactly the same way, but I definitely think a ref should be able to talk with a video official after certain incidents (at the ref's discretion - if he feels confident he saw everything, then no need to consult) and clarify exactly what happened. It should be used sparingly, but I think it should be used.
Absolutely.

Look at the horror tackle by James McClean on Dembele. The ref clearly didn't see it properly and was reacting to the reaction of the players more. Why shouldn't he be able to say to another official over the mic "The players seem a bit upset, what happened there?"

I think the occasions where a decision needs to be made and play hasn't stopped are rare. In those occasions, how often would a problem be caused by playing on whilst the ref asks a video ref to take a look at something he may have missed? I suspect almost never - certainly less often than problems are currently caused by gutless and/or incompetent refereeing.

Mike the ref up as in Rugby Union, and start sending players off for bad language... let the fan hear the referees making their decisions and why in real time. It has improved my understanding of rugby no end, and has served to reinforce respect for the referee... and has worked hand in hand with the video ref without detracting from the flow of the game.

I really don't understand the reticence to use technology to improve the 'fairness'of the game.

I'm all for this as long as it doesn't overly impact on the flow of the game. It was only a matter of time that these things would happen so as long as they are implemented in a smart and unobtrusive way then good. We need to take the focus off the refs.

I also think all refs should be ex-pros but that is another discussion.

I generally find ex-pros be the least knowledgeable around.

I'm all for this as long as it doesn't overly impact on the flow of the game. It was only a matter of time that these things would happen so as long as they are implemented in a smart and unobtrusive way then good. We need to take the focus off the refs.

I also think all refs should be ex-pros but that is another discussion.

Yep, I think one of the massive question marks is how do you invoke the video replay for a non-decision?

I mean, if you suspect an offside or an elbow or whatever, but the ref doesn't see it; do we have challenges like in tennis?

But how quickly must the challenge come? Could a challenge be used nefariously to break up a counter attack?

If your challenge is proven wrong (no offense was committed) how do we fairly restart the game?

What happens when the decision is still split, like the recent Marcos Alonso elbow on Bellerin?

And it still won't clear up the confusion around the interpretation of the hand ball rule (I think it was Keon yesterday that thought Msn U's pen for handball was correct).

And then what happens if the ref does blow for something but then is proved to be wrong on the replay? Again, how do you fairly restart play and restore the advantage to the wronged team?

I think something needs to be done, but I fear we could be opening Pandora's box.

The most pressing need for technological improvement is a way for me to watch a game and never have to hear Owen Hargreaves's know it all ramblings.

Other than the mute button, of course.

The most pressing need for technological improvement is a way for me to watch a game and never have to hear Owen Hargreaves's know it all ramblings.

Other than the mute button, of course.
Get a Dolby surround sound system and unplug the centre speaker, that way you can hear the WHL faithful without any of the pundits commentary.

Yep, I think one of the massive question marks is how do you invoke the video replay for a non-decision?

I mean, if you suspect an offside or an elbow or whatever, but the ref doesn't see it; do we have challenges like in tennis?

But how quickly must the challenge come? Could a challenge be used nefariously to break up a counter attack?

If your challenge is proven wrong (no offense was committed) how do we fairly restart the game?

What happens when the decision is still split, like the recent Marcos Alonso elbow on Bellerin?

And it still won't clear up the confusion around the interpretation of the hand ball rule (I think it was Keon yesterday that thought Msn U's pen for handball was correct).

And then what happens if the ref does blow for something but then is proved to be wrong on the replay? Again, how do you fairly restart play and restore the advantage to the wronged team?

I think something needs to be done, but I fear we could be opening Pandora's box.
If you challenge and fail you lose a sub. If you've used all your subs then you have no challenges left.

I see that Taylor and Friend, the two most incompetent ref's this week, were both out on the tinkle for basically the whole week previously due to it being Taylor's stag week !!

Back