• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
img_550.jpg

He is waiting for us to lose? So that he himself can then sign a striker? That he knows we need... Right.

He's illustrating the 'price of everything, value of nothing' mentality.

Let's follow your wonderful hypothesis: that Levy assumes he can save x% by waiting until the final knockings. One small problem: performances on the pitch. We start brick and - guess what - his focus on the small little percentages is blown out of the water by the need of the team. Suddenly we're on the back foot, right from the off.

It's not a very good strategist who is left having to react to events all the time; the best ones foresee problems and put have ready-made solutions already in-place. If you want to take it down to a +/- level, hypothesise this: how much did Levy focusing on the percentages cause us to finish that 1pt off 3rd? Had we the resources in place, the outcome may have been very different.

It's lovely to make a profit - everyone want to do that. But, all the time? And at the expense of jeopardising team performance? Nah, sorry, I don't buy into that at all. The league is hard enough as it is to be competitive in without needlessly handicapping yourself, right from the off.

VDV plays instead of a striker.

And the rest not good enough? All I see in this thread is moaning that we're not spending on strikers. What's the point in spending more money on someone else that's not good enough just so we have strikers.

As we only have one !

So we buy the first two we can agree any kind of deal for. In three months everyone is screaming about them being brick and Levy/AVB being brick in the market.

Not saying buy any old junk but point being why leave it so late again not like we did not know we needed a front man

Ade doesnt want to lose out financially it seems, so why cant we sort out another one year loan??? right now, its better than nothing

So we buy the first two we can agree any kind of deal for. In three months everyone is screaming about them being brick and Levy/AVB being brick in the market.

And surely as a fellow supporter you must be a slight bit concerned at the fact we are lacking massively in that position

Even if you have £50+ million worth of assets that's not performing, you can't just spunk another £50 million. Unless you're Chelsea.

Bit of a strawman there.

No-one is saying £50m. Just another striker: one out, one in - if needs be.

Look, there's plenty out there from Chairman of other clubs who said our valuations of our brick strikers were laughable. Again, that's a failure of the Chairman - asking too much, being too greedy, not being able to shift out rubbish on quick enough.

He's obsessed about profit; always being the winner. Look at the team now though; heading into the opening game with only a misfiring Jermain Defoe as a striker! Lovely stuff, what a wonderful Chairman we have.

Good luck, Andre, you're gonna have fun 'strengthening' that that mug above you.

Not saying buy any old junk but point being why leave it so late again not like we did not know we needed a front man

If I knew exactly what Levy is planning, what stage deals are on, then I would have something to either moan or cheer for. I'll be disappointed if we end up with only Ade or someone lesser, but I don't know WHY that has happened.

If I knew exactly what Levy is planning, what stage deals are on, then I would have something to either moan or cheer for. I'll be disappointed if we end up with only Ade or someone lesser, but I don't know WHY that has happened.
It all comes down to the fact we are all worried.

You don't think it would anything to do with Daniel Levy making derisory bids for players?

The part where you suggest with factual certainty what happened with Ade last season based on some newspaper article and go on to question my info as ITK since I wouldn't know what's happening in the club. Righto.

I was asking because I thought you were one of those that didn't believe in any of the ITKs. And the newspapers have us linked to most players in the world at some point. So I was wondering what you were basing your statement on. I would still like to know your answer.

It was more than "some newspaper article", there were direct quotes from Adebayor in for example this article:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/934421/man-city-striker-emmanuel-adebayor-talks-up-real-madrid-return?cc=5739

"I only want to return to Real Madrid. I will wait for his call."

Yes, it was my interpretation that City would rather send him to someone who would a higher % of his wages..

He signed Vertonghen and Sigurdsson before him (we were linked with them for ages) - because we needed a CB, etc. What is so outlandish to suggest he could have also signed a quality striker prior to that - it's been on the agenda since Berbatov left, ffs. This is nothing new

Adebayor isn't difficult to get - there is only one problem and that is wages like with most mercenaries

Tell me honestly - seeing that you have constructed a convinient scenario of what is Levy presumably busy doing right now - what would be the excuse on Septmeber 1st (better yet Saudi Sportswashing Machine) if we didn't sign anyone?

Didn't we confirm AVB before those two signings? Yes we had been working on them for some time, but we had also been in talks with AVB for some time. You don't think the issue of these two players were discussed between Levy and AVB?

I find the idea that Levy should sign players without talking to the manager outlandish, for what I think are obvious reasons.

So now I've "constructed a convenient scenario"? The chairman of a football club going after the preferred players of the manager of that football club is just a convenient scenario? It doesn't seem at all like the kind of thing a competent chairman should do? It doesn't seem at all like what Levy has been doing in the past?

If we don't sign anyone by September 1st there will be no excuse.

I really want us to sign a striker before the Saudi Sportswashing Machine game, the recent posts by JJetset and the comments from AVB today seem promising. I would like to see us sign a couple more players after that one striker, but in my opinion there is no real rush to get them done by the first couple games as we can put out a very good side with the players we have now and one additional striker.

No Not waiting for us to lose, but rather when we do lose he then finally appreciates how dire our circumstancces are just as he did last season. Lets face it he had 3 months last summer to bring in a striker

Did you read my original question?

Yes, he left it late, but we ended up with Ade who was a key player for us all season. Would you have rather seen us sign an inferior striker earlier in the window?

Or other clubs asking for too much?
With regards to other clubs they all seem to think premier league big money ! We can blame the blue scum for that .. But if we want quality gotta pay the money if we can't do it or levy does not want to we will just fall further behind and it will be a shame

He's illustrating the 'price of everything, value of nothing' mentality.

Let's follow your wonderful hypothesis: that Levy assumes he can save x% by waiting until the final knockings. One small problem: performances on the pitch. We start brick and - guess what - his focus on the small little percentages is blown out of the water by the need of the team. Suddenly we're on the back foot, right from the off.

It's not a very good strategist who is left having to react to events all the time; the best ones foresee problems and put have ready-made solutions already in-place. If you want to take it down to a +/- level, hypothesise this: how much did Levy focusing on the percentages cause us to finish that 1pt off 3rd? Had we the resources in place, the outcome may have been very different.

It's lovely to make a profit - everyone want to do that. But, all the time? And at the expense of jeopardising team performance? Nah, sorry, I don't buy into that at all. The league is hard enough as it is to be competitive in without needlessly handicapping yourself, right from the off.

£5-6m per season is not "small little percentages". It's significant money. I asked already what your "tipping point" would be, but you seemed to not answer me.

There will also be a trade-off in player quality. That will have an impact all season. Signing Ade early last season quite simply wasn't an option.

Back