• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Its the slowly creeping in realisation that point 1 never took place which is the problem here - not Levy s negotiaing tactics per se

How do you know what goes on behind the scenes? Are you basing this on newspaper speculations? ITK postings? Or what?

Also - how do you know that is what 'happened' with Ade last season?

Didn't he make it clear that his preferred destination would be to go back to Real Madrid? He also surely would have rather gone to a CL club if he could, so we had to wait. We could also only pay less than half of his wages, surely City were looking around for some other taker that could pay more and so wouldn't do a deal with us early.

Preference to what? Skill, price, ability, age, wages, re sale?

But even the 10th would stengthen us so by simple logic no. 1 and 2 must be some world class players and completely unrealistic.

Here s a simple one - 10 players that would imprOve us. We are not man utd - pick one and lets begin the work. Hell, even Berbatov on paper at the time didnt improve us

Preference... The one AVB (and the scouts working on the targets) would prefer. Based on all aspects.

I reject your simple logic. Our current strikers are Defoe and Kane, listing 10 strikers that could improve us without any of them being unrealistic should be a pretty easy task without going into world class unrealistic strikers. I would expect a professional and talented football manager working with a team of scouts to come up with such a list quite comfortably and ranking them by preference quite well relatively quickly.

We can afford them if we REALLY want them, but that's for Levy and AVB to decide on. Maybe the real list contain completely different names.

time is running out, clubs dont want to sell their best players now

we have to accept that without paying big wages and offering CL football we are not going to attract the A or B class players in option 1 (unless we go down the loan route and took big club cast offs for a year)

The first choice players wouldn't have to be "A or B class players" that we can't possibly attract. You could make a ranked list of players by preference of 10 players ranking from mediocre to Rasiak, doesn't have to include Messi. I even said in my post "10 strikers that we might get".

Just as an example the top ranked players could be Ade and Damiao. The 10th ranked player could be Steven Fletcher for all I care.

The asking prices won't be coming down, no.

asking prices go up, clubs become more and more resistant to sell.....Levy should know all this by now but its the same mistake year after year, window after window

The first choice players wouldn't have to be "A or B class players" that we can't possibly attract. You could make a ranked list of players by preference of 10 players ranking from mediocre to Rasiak, doesn't have to include Messi. I even said in my post "10 strikers that we might get".

Just as an example the top ranked players could be Ade and Damiao. The 10th ranked player could be Steven Fletcher for all I care.

Then I would definitely prefer us to wait it out. Fletcher can be done in a day.

asking prices go up, clubs become more and more resistant to sell.....Levy should know all this by now but its the same mistake year after year, window after window

I think that it is Levy's preferred approach. I think that he thinks that we get a better deal by leaving it late, why else would he do it?

Arcy - you seem to be very angry today, fella. Has the transfer window thus far got you so down? Realism is one thing but cynicsm about everything quickly becomes tiring.

By the way, did Jordinho's question really need such exhaustive deconstruction and clarification? It seemed to be a perfectly valid either / or question to me.

I think that it is Levy's preferred approach. I think that he thinks that we get a better deal by leaving it late, why else would he do it?

He's a gambler; gambling that the selling club will be so keen to move a player on that, in the final knockings of the transfer window, they'll drop the price by a few quid. Because that always happens, doesn't it Daniel?

Gambling the performance of Aug - Jan...in the hope of saving a few quid.

Good plan that isn't it.

He has known we need a striker for 3 years now - I don't think for one second he needed AVB to arrive and confirm that.

Why are so many on here (not yourself) dead set on expemting DL from all responsibility around a priority which has been on the agenda for years and painting him as the victim of qunting agents and other clubs?

and the Modric situ looks like its going to wire

we will have money in the bank but no-one decent to spend it on given the time left

He has known we need a striker for 3 years now - I don't think for one second he needed AVB to arrive and confirm that.

Why are so many on here (not yourself) dead set on expemting DL from all responsibility around a priority which has been on the agenda for years and painting him as the victim of qunting agents and other clubs?

Maybe not, but he needs AVB to state who he wants to bring in surely....

what makes me laugh is that we are still scouting Damiao.....i mean, if they havent made their minds up by now then we really are fooked

It depends on the situation imo.

Last season I'm quite sure we got better deals for both Parker and Ade by waiting as the players were desperate to move and the clubs were under more pressure as the window was shortening while both players were desperate to move.

On the other hand when Liverpool signed Carrol they had to pay a premium since it was on deadline day so Saudi Sportswashing Machine didn't have the time to find a replacement. Same with Berba to United from us, they tried putting us under pressure, but Levy wouldn't budge so they ended up putting themselves under pressure instead. Similar thing with Modric last season.

If we are going for Ade time is working in our favour, both Ade and City will be under more pressure to get a deal done so they will probably accept deals that benefit us more. Damiao on the other hand might be getting more expensive later in the window as Internacional have (at least short term) sorted their financial problems by selling Oscar.

Another thing that factors in of course is if other clubs are interested, like with Sigurdsson it was now or never time and either match the bit Liverpool were making or lose out.

what makes me laugh is that we are still scouting Damiao.....i mean, if they havent made their minds up by now then we really are fooked

I don't think we're scouting him if he's a target for this window. It's either someone else or we're just keeping an eye on his form, showing him we're interested.

How do you know what goes on behind the scenes? Are you basing this on newspaper speculations? ITK postings? Or what?.

Didn't he make it clear that his preferred destination would be to go back to Real Madrid? He also surely would have rather gone to a CL club if he could, so we had to wait. We could also only pay less than half of his wages, surely City were looking around for some other taker that could pay more and so wouldn't do a deal with us early..

This is priceless, really

Preference... The one AVB (and the scouts working on the targets) would prefer. Based on all aspects.

I reject your simple logic. Our current strikers are Defoe and Kane, listing 10 strikers that could improve us without any of them being unrealistic should be a pretty easy task without going into world class unrealistic strikers. I would expect a professional and talented football manager working with a team of scouts to come up with such a list quite comfortably and ranking them by preference quite well relatively quickly.

So let me get this straight - the premise here suggests Levy had to wait for AVB (put Arry even) to realise we needed a quality striker and then presumably (this is what you have insinuated here based on nothing but your own assumption) set out on a crusade to sign the most diffcult one of all eventhough there is zero such precedent since Berbatov / Comolli and asbolutely zero links with no one other than Ade?

And then if he fails to sign anyone - it's easy to say - well he must have tried for the hardest, next time. Sorry fell, but I'm calling bs

Last edited:

Because it flatters their egos, to present the idea that they actually know more about the club - and it's not just as simple as Daniel Levy being a tightfisted prick. Ooooooooh no, that's faaaaaar too simplistic and simply must be dismissed with an needlessly patronising tone.

I find it hilarious that the blame for not sourcing a striker was - at one piont in time - laid at the feet of Redknapp. Apparently he was clueless, no plan, no direction, no perception of where the team was weak. All hail AVB - he'll see it; he's the messiah - he'll bring us our wonderful striker!

Nah, no fudging striker. Change of manager, but no fudging striker. Guess what, who's the ever-present?

KNOCK! KNOCK! Yep, it's Daniel Levy girls and boys.

Back