• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Say that AVB (and the scouts) identified around 10 strikers that we might get that would strengthen the squad, ranked by preference.

What would you prefer?

1. That Levy spent his time going for the top targets that AVB wanted the most accepting the problems with that, extended transfer fee and wage negotiations, waiting until bigger clubs are "done" with their transfers. Essentially what we have seen with Ade last season and most likely this season.

2. That Levy signed the easiest to get of those targets to get them in early.

Its the slowly creeping in realisation that point 1 never took place which is the problem here - not Levy s negotiaing tactics per se

Say that AVB (and the scouts) identified around 10 strikers that we might get that would strengthen the squad, ranked by preference.

What would you prefer?

1. That Levy spent his time going for the top targets that AVB wanted the most accepting the problems with that, extended transfer fee and wage negotiations, waiting until bigger clubs are "done" with their transfers. Essentially what we have seen with Ade last season and most likely this season.

2. That Levy signed the easiest to get of those targets to get them in early.

we have to accept that without paying big wages and offering CL football we are not going to attract the A or B class players in option 1 (unless we go down the loan route and took big club cast offs for a year)

Its the slowly creeping in realisation that point 1 never took place which is the problem here - not Levy s negotiaing tactics per se

You don't think that AVB identified his preferred transfer targets when he joined the club?

You also said that any of the 10 would strengthen us so why does it matter who it is?

Because the other 9 are better than number 10?

You start with the top 3 maybe, but the question is: When do you move on?

Or do we agree a deal for number 10 and tell him to wait till late August in case we snag someone better?

Or do we agree a deal for number 10 and tell him to wait till late August in case we snag someone better?

The other thing is that once you sign your tenth preference, you are stuck with them for at least a year. They are costing you money all of that time and that could impact on whether you can afford to sign a player that you would prefer.

He never said those 10 are arranged in asceding order and the easiest one is the brickest though

10 targets who would strengthen us

You don't think that AVB identified his preferred transfer targets when he joined the club?

Not before he assessed the squad to a reasonable level, i d imagine

Are you asking me or telling me btw, Milo? It hard to tell from the tone of your posts in general

10 strikers that we might get that would strengthen the squad, ranked by preference.

Preference to what? Skill, price, ability, age, wages, re sale?

But even the 10th would stengthen us so by simple logic no. 1 and 2 must be some world class players and completely unrealistic.

Here s a simple one - 10 players that would imprOve us. We are not man utd - pick one and lets begin the work. Hell, even Berbatov on paper at the time didnt improve us

Not before he assessed the squad to a reasonable level, i d imagine

Are you asking me or telling me btw, Milo? It hard to tell from the tone of your posts in general

It was a question.

I doubt that it took him that long to assess our options up front, we don't have any and I would have thought that he would have talked about his ideas to address this before joining us.

Or we could sign the 10th striker on the list early, intended to be back-up/competition to our main striker, while we attempt to sign someone better, meaning we actually have someone to play up front on their own who is competent doing this at PL level. We need 2 strikers anyway..

But even the 10th would stengthen us so by simple logic no. 1 and 2 must be some world class players and completely unrealistic.

Here s a simple one - 10 players that would imprOve us. We are not man utd - pick one and lets begin the work. Hell, even Berbatov on paper at the time didnt improve us

Lots of strikers would improve us, but we would still probably finish outside the top 4. If we want to get in the CL, which is very important for us irrespective of how unrealistic it might be, we need to sign the best we possibly can, it would be irresponsible not to.

It was a question.

I doubt that it took him that long to assess our options up front, we don't have any and I would have thought that he would have talked about his ideas to address this before joining us.

So basically you want me to accept that your assumption of what might have happened is 'righter' than mine eventhough the ONLY realistic target we ve been linked with all summer has been Ade who looks 50:50 at this stage.

Call me negativist, but i think we are heading for yet another disappointmet this window and this time there is no Arry to blame

Initially ranked by skill/ability/suitability to our team.

We make informal enquiries about all of them and get quoted a price or told to fudge off. We then consider our options and proceed with the targets we'd most like to sign that aren't completely out of our reach while keeping in touch about others.

My imaginary list:

Falcao
Cavani
Lewandowski
Adebayor
Llorente
Damiao

We might have some fallback options as well if everything fails, someone that won't cost a fortune and can do the job for one season.

Lots of strikers would improve us, but we would still probably finish outside the top 4. If we want to get in the CL, which is very important for us irrespective of how unrealistic it might be, we need to sign the best we possibly can, it would be irresponsible not to.

The premise here indicates this is what was supposedly meant to happen in the last 7-8 windows.

At this point - i rather keep my expectations realistic - this mythical striker might never come, so lets rather work with whats possible but still an improvement

Initially ranked by skill/ability/suitability to our team.

We make informal enquiries about all of them and get quoted a price or told to fudge off. We then consider our options and proceed with the targets we'd most like to sign that aren't completely out of our reach while keeping in touch about others.

My imaginary list:

Falcao
Cavani

Lewandowski
Adebayor
Llorente
Damiao

We might have some fallback options as well if everything fails, someone that won't cost a fortune and can do the job for one season.

wouldnt take long to move on from them

Back