• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I did suggest we went after Fletcher in the January transfer window and was totally ignored. It's as a few have said here if he was a South American or European who noboby without FM would know, they would be screaming for him. He's looked good in teams that have struggled and most importantly he make good decision on the field and holds the ball. A very good team player, he's not Messi but he would bring something to the table. But I do hear there is this 18 year old Ghanian playing in Holland who got 86 goals in 22 games last year and he would be a good investement.

not really sure whats wrong with fletcher.

as far as the necessary skills needed to play a striker position he ticks all the boxes save for excellent technical ability and physical / athletic prowess

he is positionally good, a good finisher, attacks crosses ...and consistently works hard up front and runs the line.

in a team that supplies loads of chances you dont need a world class player...you just need a particular skill set up front

Are you suggesting here we should have 2 top class players for every position?

While Ill agree its an ideal, in reality I just dont think it possible for the club we are right now

That's what we should strive for, but that's rather a tangent discussion.

I guess the nub of it is that you see Fletcher as adequate backup for Ade and I don't. Lets disagree on this.

Ferdinand charged
Monday, 30 July, 2012
Manchester United defender charged over Twitter comments.

The FA has today charged Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand with improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or bought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

Ferdinand has until 4pm on 2 August 2012 to respond to the charge.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2012/rio-ferdinand-charged-july.aspx

It's almost worth starting an 'improper conduct' thread the rate at which they are occurring..

The FA need to stop this IMO, at this rate no players are going to want to tweet anything and it is a great bridge between the players and the fans

Modric? Very unlikely. I'd be very very surprised if he went to a PL club this summer, it would take at least £40m, probably closer to 45.

Emirates Marketing Project and Man Utd, perhaps even Chelsea. We'd be lucky to get £40m, there's a year less on his contract now and if Modric gets a sniff that any of those are interested he will kick up a fuss and we will probably release him this time and rightly so. Two seasons of this saga is just too much and not in our interests at all....

That's what we should strive for, but that's rather a tangent discussion.

I guess the nub of it is that you see Fletcher as adequate backup for Ade and I don't. Lets disagree on this.

It fair enough. Though I am interested that you have no alternative in mind, if you can certainly say he isnt good enough I would have thought you should have an idea of who is as well. Would be interesting to see the comparison.

as far as the necessary skills needed to play a striker position he ticks all the boxes save for excellent technical ability and physical / athletic prowess

he is positionally good, a good finisher, attacks crosses ...and consistently works hard up front and runs the line.

in a team that supplies loads of chances you dont need a world class player...you just need a particular skill set up front

I wouldn't mind him but I've only seen snippets of him scoring goals. Has he actually proved he can lead a line on his own? I'd imagine Wolves play two up front, or is that not the case?

While I agree he isnt EXCELLENT technically I actually think he is pretty decent. I would say his weakest attribute has to be his athletesism. he is strong but neither quick or agile from what I have seen. His strongest attribute would be his movement/positioning - he ALWAYS seems to be in the right place.

I would keep Luka, qualifying for the CL is worth more than £35m.

Luka Modric
I want you to stayyyyy

If it was that simple I'd want him to stay, he's worth more to us than the money.

But I don't think he'd be as professional as last season, I think he'd kick up more of a stink and drag the squad down. He's already showed signs of this by going AWOL....

While I agree he isnt EXCELLENT technically I actually think he is pretty decent. I would say his weakest attribute has to be his athletesism. he is strong but neither quick or agile from what I have seen. His strongest attribute would be his movement/positioning - he ALWAYS seems to be in the right place.

i wouldnt even give him 'pretty decent' technical ability...that kind of level you would reserve for guys that are just below good technical ability...and fletcher hasnt come across like that mainly cause an attack doesnt always maintain the same momentum most of the time when he receives the ball....dont get me wrong...he isnt the equivalent of a brick walll that applies the laws of physics of equal reaction when you pass it the ball....he just isnt the kind of technical ability i would make a case to say that its one of his "qualities"

all that means in short is that hie technical ability is average IMO

Well, good luck to Brendan if he thinks the likes of Dempsey, Allen, Borini and that level of player are going to get the job done. Maybe they will, but those signings also have a distinct whiff of mediocrity to them.

I like Dempsey a lot - he has a great attitude as most professional American soccer players seem to have - but we've seen it a zillion times that a player can look class in a mid-table team but ordinary after a move to a big one. Charlie Adam is a good example. Danny Murphy too to an extent.

Interesting that Skybet also have Stephane Sessegnon @ 8/13 to join us???? Any thoughts on that one guys??

Before we signed Sig he would have been a player on my radar, however i doubt we'll buy a third that can play behind the striker..

Back