• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That's a bit silly, because i could rate one higher then the other, and why would that have anything to do with their names?

So if i thought Damio was a better player then Fletcher it MUST be down to the names?

Crazy talk.

Edit: For the record, I've not seen enough of Damio to pass judgement.

i just think the general feeling amongst Spurs fans would be a sense of disappointment if we signed Fletcher instead of Damiao, and a lot would be simply down to missing out on Brazil's number 9 and ending up with a striker from relegated Wolves

im not saying this about you in particular, just pointing out that there is a level of snobbery amongst us. The same applies to someone like Joe Allen, if he was instead Josep Alenic, and was a 22 year old Croatian international, i think the majority of fans would be licking their lips in anticipation of attracting him to WHL for around 12-15 mill.

hardly any of us have seen Damiao in regular action, for club or country, but i bet over 80% would take him as one of our forwards

Honestly I dont know. He is a man who is deeply knowledgeable about Premiership players, and will have a finite budget to play with. It is possible he could see someone like Fletcher as a pragmatic buy, who knows?

Aim higher for a squad option? Like who? Especially at the price quoted.

And I disagree that we wouldnt progress with a player of Fletchers ability. Im imagining him in the squad, not as a best 11 pick. Imagine though we have the team set up and playing well, and Adebayor gets injured - would the team continue to play well with Defoe coming in to replace him, or Fletcher? I think he could add a dimension of consistency to the side, which in itself is improvement.

Such as getting able cover to the wings would be improvement, even if the players werent as good as Bale or Lennon - being able to play cosistently would be a massive win IMO. Instead of having to change shape as soon as someone is injured.

Transfer snobbery? Its the case when people make judgements based on a players circumstance rather than the player. "Yuk! He plays for Blackburn! One thinks he is certainly not good enough for posh o spurs what what" :lol:

It's my opinion that Fletcher isn't all that. Nothing more or less. It's nothing to do with which team team he came for I just don't think he's very good. Although I hate trotting out this cliché, which other of the top English teams have been seriously linked with him? None as far as I know. Sunderland have reportedly bid 10mil for Fletcher and that for me is his level. Spurs are a top 4 team and we can do better with our money IMHO.

Assuming the Ade deal goes ahead, which I'm pretty sure it will, we are talking about an able backup to Ade and I don't think Fletcher is that player. I'm not even counting Defoe to be perfectly honest I don't think he's the same type of player as Ade. Defoe is plan B.

I wont say that Fletcher is a bad player, neither was Crouch. For 10m he is not a bad deal, and would prob bang in about 10 in the league, maybe 15 in all comps...

I just think we should be aiming higher, going all out on a 20+ goal striker

edit: and there are maybe better striker that we can buy for under 10m,

Hannover´s Mohammed Abdellaoue for example

Last edited:
Ahh yes the good old Carlos Kickaball theory, wait for it, we'll get the football manager line next.

England is just one country, there are many other countries out there so basic math would tell you that if there's a choice of player then they'll more than likely be foreign, not to mention the national side showing just how average they are and the ridiculous fees teams pay to sign them - Johnson, Milner, Downing, Henderson, Carroll.

I rate some of our British players highly(Walker, Lennon, Bale), I think others are decent enough(Dawson, Hudd, Defoe) and some I don't(Bentley, Jenas). I'm sure most feel the same way but it won't stop the same old tired cliche being posted on here. Oh and I'm aware that Fletcher is Scottish before someone points it out.

I wont say that Fletcher is a bad player, neither was Crouch. For 10m he is not a bad deal, and would prob bang in about 10 in the league, maybe 15 in all comps...

I just think we should be aiming higher, going all out on a 20+ goal striker

edit: and there are maybe better striker that we can buy for under 10m,

Hannover´s Mohammed Abdellaoue for example

He's managed 12 each of last 3 seasons in some awful teams I am confident if he came to us and played regularly he would score 20+

It's my opinion that Fletcher isn't all that. Nothing more or less. It's nothing to do with which team team he came for I just don't think he's very good.

Which is fair enough, I like him but I dont expect everyone will

Although I hate trotting out this cliché, which other of the top English teams have been seriously linked with him? None as far as I know.

Honestly I think that is a lazy argument. It presupposes "top teams" are all looking for the same thing, with the same requirements, the same budget... and collectively ignoring him. Its simply not the case is it? At different times different teams are looking for different things.

That said Im sure I recall Utd being linked to him at some point a few years ago, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

Sunderland have reportedly bid 10mil for Fletcher and that for me is his level. Spurs are a top 4 team and we can do better with our money IMHO.

Like who? Give us some options.

Also, Sunderland are a team desperate for a regular goalscorer and have (apparently) chosen him as their front man. They are a team with I expect outside ambitions on a EUROPA spot or Carling Cup win. He is the best they think they can get.

Not bad for a "squad option" for us heh!?

Assuming the Ade deal goes ahead, which I'm pretty sure it will, we are talking about an able backup to Ade and I don't think Fletcher is that player. I'm not even counting Defoe to be perfectly honest I don't think he's the same type of player as Ade. Defoe is plan B.

Once again then, what better options do you ahve in mind?

I don't think we need to replace him. In midfield we already have Parker, Sandro, Modric (for now), Bale, Lennon, VDV, Sigurdssen and Huddlestone as senior players with Townsend, Carroll and Falque as emerging youngsters for cups, emergencies etc. That's not even mentioning Bentley and Jenas! I think we should re-invest that money in strikers and a long term goalkeeping solution.

I disagree. We've shipped out two senior pros, Krancjar and Pienaar who were effectively wing cover and we should be in the market again for someone who can cover out wide. Someone like Dembele is versatile enough to cover in numerous positions accross the middle and even as a number 10 if required and for me would fit the bill.

I think the general consensus is two senior pros (and a youngster) in each position to fill out the 25man squad, with maybe one extra in midfield and a spare CB. I think we are light on the wings. Townsend looks promising but is a little raw still. Falque is not good enough from what I've seen of him. Bently would really have to have an amazing u turn in his spurs career also, but I haven't seen any signs in pre-season so far.

Honestly I think that is a lazy argument. It presupposes "top teams" are all looking for the same thing, with the same requirements, the same budget... and collectively ignoring him. Its simply not the case is it? At different times different teams are looking for different things.

That said Im sure I recall Utd being linked to him at some point a few years ago, unless my memory is playing tricks on me.

It is a lazy argument to be fair which is why I said I don't like using it it. But if the only link to a top team in years is a link to Utd (which frankly would never happen) then it does make a point that no top club has considered him even good enough for their squad really. And there must have been a few vacancies over the years. I think it is more logical to conclude that these clubs don't see Fletcher as good enough for where they want to be.

Like who? Give us some options.

I don't have anyone in mind really. That's why I come on here. To be told who I like :)

Also, Sunderland are a team desperate for a regular goalscorer and have (apparently) chosen him as their front man. They are a team with I expect outside ambitions on a EUROPA spot or Carling Cup win. He is the best they think they can get.

Not bad for a "squad option" for us heh!?
We'll that's my point. He's a mid table striker not for a team with CL ambitions.

The Football Man @intheknow99
Not ground breaking, but have been told #MCFC, #THFC and @Sheyiadebayor have finally agreed a deal to suit all parties.

Tom Kundert @portugoaldotnet

Portuguese daily says Axel Witsel's move to Real Madrid for €40 million is imminent. This transfer has been rumoured for months.

BackPage. @BackPage

Tottenham & Arsenal sent scouts to watch Honduras' DC United star Andy Najar yesterday.

Tom Kundert @portugoaldotnet

Portuguese daily says Axel Witsel's move to Real Madrid for €40 million is imminent. This transfer has been rumoured for months.

An attempt to pressure Levy or an actual move for a signing?

Anyone on here seen much of Witsel?

My guess would be Witsel's agent trying to create interest. Two weeks ago it was United that were close to signing him.

I wouldn't get our hopes up either way. If he doesn't end up Madrid he will

1) Be extremely annoyed
2) Go to one of the PL big guns, or ideally PSG

Ferdinand charged
Monday, 30 July, 2012
Manchester United defender charged over Twitter comments.

The FA has today charged Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand with improper conduct in relation to comments posted on Twitter.

The allegation is that the player acted in a way which was improper and/or bought the game into disrepute by making comments which included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race.

Ferdinand has until 4pm on 2 August 2012 to respond to the charge.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/Disciplinary/NewsAndFeatures/2012/rio-ferdinand-charged-july.aspx

It's almost worth starting an 'improper conduct' thread the rate at which they are occurring..

I wouldn't get our hopes up either way. If he doesn't end up Madrid he will

1) Be extremely annoyed
2) Go to one of the PL big guns, or ideally PSG

Modric? Very unlikely. I'd be very very surprised if he went to a PL club this summer, it would take at least £40m, probably closer to 45.

Back