• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
At least it's an opportunity to bring back the Midweek & Weekend Football thread.

Where else would I post that someone broke into the Dutch team's hotel in Lausanne and robbed Nigel de Jong's room?

Posted this in the other ITK thread a few days ago!

Dear Admin - In starting a poll at 22:48 last night and closing it at 09:21 this morning, I am reminded of a quotation that allegedly came from Thomas Jefferson:

"A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine." (Only 40 votes!?)

I hate to say "I told you so", but...............!!

How about merging the two? Unless there are plans to reopen the other one.

What a fudging load of trash, he never said anything about arsenal in that fudging interview.

Except the part where he says "But Arsenal want me too. They remain a possibility if my Spurs move falls through, as Ajax are asking €15m for me."

So basically we are haggling over price of the player and risk missing out on him. Unless we are prepared to wait another season and try and nab him on a free. Risky strategy as he may go elsewhere on a free, especially if he has a blinding final season with Ajax.

I don't know anything about the player but if he ends up signing for Arsenal, after clearly wanting us, turns out to be absolute brilliant then I will not be happy that we've fudged about again and missed out on a player over a couple of million.

The Sun

• Liverpool will have to pay Wigan ?ú3m if they want Roberto Martinez as their new manager.
  • England's Euro 2012 glory charge will rest on the shoulders of Andy Carroll.
  • It will cost QPR ?ú11m if they want to boot out bad-boy Joey Barton.
  • West Brom have held secret interviews and want Birmingham manager Chris Hughton as their new boss.
  • Meanwhile, Albion striker Peter Odemwingie wants to leave The Hawthorns and join a "bigger club".
  • Steve Bruce is being lined up as Championship side Hull City's new manager.

Daily Mirror

• England boss Roy Hodgson fears he could lose Glen Johnson, Scott Parker and Danny Welbeck for Euro 2012.
  • Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has urged Roberto boss Martinez to think carefully about joining Liverpool to work under a football director.
  • Chelsea striker Fernando Torres has admitted he lost faith in himself last season.
  • Steve Bruce is wanted by Hull City - but he will not make any decision yet as he eyes a third return to Wigan, should Martinez leave.
  • Arsenal are set to make a ?ú6.5m bid for Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud.
  • Everton want to sign ?ú6m-rated FC Copenhagen striker Dame N'Doye, 27, but will have to sell in order to bid.
  • Winger Scott Sinclair is stalling over a new deal at Swansea.
  • Southampton and Cardiff are set to battle it out for the services of Burnley's England U21 striker Jay Rodriguez who is rated at ?ú8m by the Clarets.

Daily Star

• Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain's family will not travel to Euro 2012 due to racism fears.
  • Chelsea have agreed personal terms with Porto striker Hulk, 25, but will only offer ?ú30m with the Portugal side wanting ?ú40m.
  • QPR are lining up ?ú4m Jermaine Jenas to replace shamed skipper Joey Barton.
  • Stoke boss Tony Pulis wants to sign Chelsea striker Romelu Lukaku.
  • Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen has warned Spurs to hurry up and sign him - or he will join Arsenal instead.

Daily Mail

• Fabio Capello is the latest high-profile manager to snub the chance to succeed Kenny Dalglish as Liverpool boss.
  • Manchester United are set to make an improved offer of ?ú13m for Shinji Kagawa, 23, from Borussia Dortmund.
  • Everton, Sunderland, Reading, Fulham and Ipswich are all tracking 21-year-old Lillestrom striker Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson.
  • QPR are planning a ?ú6m move for Birmingham City's England U21 goalkeeper Jack Butland that could lead to current No 1 Paddy Kenny joining Leeds.

The Guardian

• Tottenham are close to signing central defender Jan Vertonghen, 25, from Ajax for a fee of ?ú9.6m.
  • Racist abuse will become a sackable offence for professional footballers next season, as part of significant changes being made to every Premier League and Football League player's contract.

Daily Express

• Fulham's ?ú3.5 bid for striker Jordan Rhodes has been laughed off by League One side Huddersfield Town.
  • Lille's ?ú32m-rated star Eden Hazard has warned Chelsea and the two Manchester clubs that the decision on who he decides to join could be based on how much game time and what position they can guarantee him.

DailyRecord.co.uk

• Defender Carlos Bocanegra will return to crisis-hit Rangers next season - but will not take another pay cut.
  • Celtic are in the race to sign 21-year-old Lillestrom striker Bjorn Bergmann Sigurdarson, along with a host of English clubs.
  • Manager Paulo Sergio will meet Hearts owner Vladimir Romanov next week in a bid to thrash out his future.

• Chelsea have agreed personal terms with Porto striker Hulk, 25, but will only offer ?ú30m with the Portugal side wanting ?ú40m.

Sorry but what the fudge is this? :ross:

How can they possibly agree personal terms with a player without given permission by the 'selling' club to approach him - obviously they're yet to agree his transfer fee! Surely that is beyond illegal? Who writes this brick!

Clubs often sort things out with the agent before even approaching the club. Obviously you want to sound a potential target before making a bid, but it often goes a lot further than that.

ÔÇó Chelsea have agreed personal terms with Porto striker Hulk, 25, but will only offer ?ú30m with the Portugal side wanting ?ú40m.

Sorry but what the fudge is this? :ross:

How can they possibly agree personal terms with a player without given permission by the 'selling' club to approach him - obviously they're yet to agree his transfer fee! Surely that is beyond illegal? Who writes this brick!

Haven't we agreed personal terms with Vertonghen?

Peter Odemwingie has cast doubt over his West Brom future by revealing he wants to play for a club challenging for silverware.

"It is time for me to struggle for silverware not just for survival in the Premier League," Odemwingie is quoted as saying in The Sun.

"I hope I will leave West Brom keeping warm relations with everybody.

"I would consider any proposals - even from Russia. But my aim is to stay in England."

West Bromwich is as big as you can hope for in England. Either wants more money or if he's actually serious about winning stuff will have to go to a smaller league.

Yes but we approached Ajax before approaching Vertonghen.

Anyway why would Porto sell Hulk for ?ú40m when the buyout clause in his contract is reportedly ?ú100m.

Buyout clauses are seldom activated. Besides his agent said Porto would be willing to comprimise whatever that amount ends up being who knows....

It's not uncommon for clubs, especially of the selling variety, to allow prospective clubs and player to discuss terms while the clubs are doing their dance as well. Ajax wouldn't like to spend so much time negotiating a deal with spurs only for Vert to say no thanks once everyone else is agreed.

It's not uncommon for clubs, especially of the selling variety, to allow prospective clubs and player to discuss terms while the clubs are doing their dance as well. Ajax wouldn't like to spend so much time negotiating a deal with spurs only for Vert to say no thanks once everyone else is agreed.

It also helps strengthen the selling clubs hand given that, if you're the buyer and you know that you've agreed terms with the player, the deal feels a lot closer and you're more likely to think 'sod it' and offer the extra million or two just to get the deal done

Or does it just give you a really tinkled off player when the deal doesn't go through ....so possibly weakening your hand?

Jjetset was alright back in January giving out loads of info seems he's turning into a typical itk clown shoe with all cryptic clues and 'you don't know who else we're close to signing'

Buying Club approaches Selling Club and enquires as to the availability of a certain player

SC - indicates they would be prepared to listen to the 'right' offers
SC - queries player/agent whether would be prepared to deal with BC - i.e. there is interest

If yes - transfer fee is negotiatied. Once finalised SC gives BC permission to finalise personal terms

Speaking under correction, of course

Last edited:
Vertonghen told Goal.com on Thursday night that he is in limbo while Spurs chairman Daniel Levy continues to negotiate a fee with Ajax.

ÔÇ£IÔÇÖm just waiting for it to be done,ÔÇØ said Vertonghen. ÔÇ£I understand the situation and I have to be patient. I am not at the Euros but I hope it will be done soon after.

ÔÇ£There are still other clubs interested but I will wait. Tottenham is an amazing club and are the team I like to join the most.ÔÇØ *

The Belgian centre-back has already agreed personal terms with Spurs after a trip to London in which he was shown around the clubÔÇÖs new training centre in Enfield and was a guest at their last match of the season, a 2-0 home win over Fulham.

However, the transfer has hit a snag over the Dutch clubÔÇÖs ?ú12.1 million (Ôé¼15m) asking price, with Tottenham unwilling to offer more than ?ú9.6m (Ôé¼12m) for the defender who has just a year remaining on his contract.

ÔÇ£I am not aware if Ajax are asking too much or not,ÔÇØ added Vertonghen. ÔÇ£I donÔÇÖt know what they are asking. I am not part of the negotiation.

ÔÇ£Mr Levy was in Amsterdam on Monday and is talking to Ajax and my manager. When they have an agreement they will let me know and I can move.ÔÇØ

The 25-year-old, who was named Eredivisie Player of the Year for his contribution to AjaxÔÇÖs title triumph, says his desire to move to White Hart Lane has not been changed by events in Munich on Saturday night, when ChelseaÔÇÖs Champions League triumph relegated Spurs to the Europa League next season.

ÔÇ£Does it matter that Tottenham are in the Europa League? No, not that much,ÔÇØ said Vertonghen. ÔÇ£You donÔÇÖt just join for one season.ÔÇØ

Spurs made an official move for the Belgian at the start of this month, having failed with an attempt to sign him in January. Vertonghen has chosen Spurs as his preferred destination ahead of other suitors, including Arsenal and Saudi Sportswashing Machine.

The centre-back is preparing to captain Belgium in a friendly against Montenegro on Friday night and will then make the trip to Wembley to face England in a friendly eight days later.

HAVE THAT ARSENAL

Jjetset was alright back in January giving out loads of info seems he's turning into a typical itk clown shoe with all cryptic clues and 'you don't know who else we're close to signing'

It's all in the wording. Some just love intimating that they've got info. He could say 'We're working on several deals, some of which haven't been mentioned by anyone yet, but I can't divulge names out of concern for my source'. He'd still get abuse though. Keep quiet and everyone goes into a frenzy over nothing happening. Can't win really. Everyone's just so impatient these days.

Back