• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are you all mad how can we sell Defoe now? We would be left with Harry Kane, we don't even appear to be close to signing any other strikers and even if we do we need JD for depth

I dont think we should sell him. He will score you goals whatever team you put him in, and actually surprised none of the big boys ever went for him.

I'm conflicted myself, but the price quoted if accurate is very good and Defoe isn't getting any younger. His price is only going one way now and that's south. If he stays so be it.

For me Sturridge is a very similar player to Defoe, greedy streak and all. I wonder would Chelsea sell to begin with and what price they would put on him.

Most frustrating thing about Defoe is that, based on the potential which he showed when he started his career, you would have hoped that he would have had a far better career that he has had. However he's never established himself at international level and never had the established top 4 teams looking to sign him (apart from SAF in Defoe's early days). As we've progressed, he's also not developed meaning that whereas he was a first choice around the time when Kanoute was at WHL, Defoe can no longer command a first choice spot as we've more on more than him.

Like all players, there'll be those who love and those who hate him. He's done ok/well at Spurs but not really any better and, given his age, I would cash in on him if we get any offers of over say £7m for him

In today's market I'd hope to get more for him than that, regardless of his age....

I'm conflicted myself, but the price quoted if accurate is very good and Defoe isn't getting any younger. His price is only going one way now and that's south. If he stays so be it.

For me Sturridge is a very similar player to Defoe, greedy streak and all. I wonder would Chelsea sell to begin with and what price they would put on him.

I agree it is a tempting price for Defoe, as his value is only going to wane. I do think he is a good player, Im just not at all convinced he fits with us any more.

I disagree RE Sturridge though, I think he has already shown a much greater versatility than Defoe.

Did you not see Sturridge's finish last night? Sublime. think he would fit into our system very well and will be a very good player.

I think Struridge shows moments of real class, but I also think he's very selfish and would cost a fair bit. But he does show flashes of quality, like the goal last night.

I think Struridge shows moments of real class, but I also think he's very selfish and would cost a fair bit. But he does show flashes of quality, like the goal last night.

He's a much better 'overall' player than Defoe, imv - besides the obvious advantages of his young age and great potential - if at all possible (unlikely) should be a no brainer really. Very useful player, imv

He's a much better 'overall' player than Defoe, imv - besides the obvious advantages of his young age and great potential - if at all possible (unlikely) should be a no brainer really. Very useful player, imv

The fact that he has shown the ability to play and score on the right should count for him too. Not entirely consistently, however as noted above he's got time on his side..

[h=1]Steven Fletcher: Sunderland bid £10m for Wolves striker[/h]By Ben Smith BBC Sport Comments (22)

Sunderland have made a £10m bid for Wolves striker Steven Fletcher.
Continue reading the main story
“Our best players are not for sale”
Jez Moxey Wolves chief executive

The offer is understood to be under consideration, with Wolves waiting to see whether Aston Villa decide to firm up their interest in the 25-year-old.
Fletcher's former club Burnley will be due 15% of any profit Wolves make on a player they paid £7m for in 2010.
Sunderland are short of attacking options following the departures of Asamoah Gyan and Nicolas Bendtner. Fulham and Stoke are also interested.
"We are not getting drawn on offers for players in or out," Wolves chief executive Jez Moxey told the Express and Star.
"Our best players are not for sale; we want to keep them and build the strongest possible team for the season ahead. We will do everything we can to retain the players we want to keep and continue to look to strengthen with new signings."
Sunderland suffered defeat by Hartlepool on Friday, with none of manager Martin O'Neill's three strikers - Fraizer Campbell, Connor Wickham and Ryan Noble - able to find the net.
[h=2]Fletcher by the numbers[/h]
  • 7 - Steven Fletcher scored the most headed goals in the 2011-12 Premier League
  • 12 - Premier League goals Fletcher scored for Wolves last season.

Fletcher has two years remaining on his contract at Molineux, leaving chief executive Jez Moxey in a strong position to negotiate the best possible deal.
No Sunderland striker reached double figures in the goal tally last season, with Bendtner and Stephane Sessegnon the top-scorers with eight.
"We know where the problem is. You just need to look at our scoring record last season," O'Neill said last week. "This puts pressure on other players to score, either from set-pieces or midfield.
"Eventually centre-forwards have to weigh in and, at the moment, you would want to know who and when someone is going to score 15 goals in a Premier League season."
For £10m and at 25 (I thought he was 30+!) I dont think thats a bad deal in the slightest.

It's unlikely i agree.

However unlikely things seem to happen far more often when players only have a year left on their contracts..

And when the player is at the same club as Marin, Lukaku, Torres, Mata, Hazard x 2, Oscar, and potentially Victor Moses

Makes me laugh all the Defoe-hate on here.
The fella is 10th top-scorer for the club in its history.
7 more goals & he moves up to eigth above Keane & Sheringham.
Not too shabby for a brick player really.

Yet he has been with us for the best part of a decade and never established himself as first choice. He's a poor man's Chris Armstrong who has just hung around a long time.

Back