• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Vertonghen has been saying his goodbyes to fans at the Ajax training ground [-o<

rumour

Right but means not many starts for someone. If you exclude the back 4 and say that Kagawa isnt one of two CMs, then there are 4 attacking positions. 38 league games plus CL...say that there are 50 big games for them, that means 4 * 50 = 200 starting positions for attacking players in big games. Wellbeck, Hernandez, Rooney, Kagawa, Young, Nani, Valencia - 7 top players excluding Berbatov.

That means <30 starts each (200/7=28 ) but realistically someone like Rooney will start 40-45 as will a couple others....so unless they play Kagawa in CM, someone wont be starting much

Okay, it may make sense purely in terms of numbers, but I honestly think we're more likely to see Rooney at CM than Kagawa next season. Don't ask me how it will work out, but I am 99% positive that he won't be playing at CM. I've seen him many times for Dortmund and there's just no way that United signed him to play in a withdrawn role, I can't imagine it. Maybe someone will leave, maybe there'll just be a lot of rotation, but I will be shocked if Fergie puts a slight attacking midfielder whose talents lie in dribbling and short and incisive passing, and who IIRC he described as having 'an eye for goal' when the signing was confirmed, at CM in a formation where traditionally the CMs have played pretty deep.

Okay, it may make sense purely in terms of numbers, but I honestly think we're more likely to see Rooney at CM than Kagawa next season. Don't ask me how it will work out, but I am 99% positive that he won't be playing at CM. I've seen him many times for Dortmund and there's just no way that United signed him to play in a withdrawn role, I can't imagine it. Maybe someone will leave, maybe there'll just be a lot of rotation, but I will be shocked if Fergie puts a slight attacking midfielder whose talents lie in dribbling and short and incisive passing, and who IIRC he described as having 'an eye for goal' when the signing was confirmed, at CM in a formation where traditionally the CMs have played pretty deep.

I would definitely be shocked if they went the whole season wihout suffering at least one long term absense.

How many headed opportunities did he get? :-k

Personally I imagine with support from wide forwards he will not need to move across the width of the pitch, rather operate more centrally (though I like having in Ade the option to change tactics as well) with the other forwards occupying the spaces he did so often last season.

Also, with a midfield 3 there *should* be a runner form deep (someone like Sigurdsson) occupying those areas - so broadly I think his field of play will be a lot smaller, and his role a lot more focused on scoring than playing the "total forward" like he did previously.

Thinking back to his Arsenal days (when he was in a similar position) I think he could do very well.

And as I say, he also offers the extra bonus of allowing us to change it up comlpletely without subs...

He moved all over the place for Arsenal, his position should be by no means rigid, but fair enough, I see where you're coming from. On the heading thing, I don't remember who was providing the crosses, just that he kept putting what I thought were simple headed chances wide/over. Wigan early on in the season is one that stands out IIRC, he also missed 2 or 3 other sitters in that game. Maybe it is just because of a lack of quality aerial deliveries but heading certainly isn't his strength, even if it isn't a massive weakness.

where's this from?

spurs community....ajax fans have been saying that he is off. This pic is from this morning

7R1Tr.jpg

Not to put a downer on it or anything...

But that could just be him signing autographs for the Ajax fans..

A few points from last few pages

- Re TT, liked him as a player, was made of glass when he played for us, and either that side was a lot poorer than current version, or he has really dipped in form after us, because he's brick in MLS

- Re Ruddy, not interested, never been impressed other than the usual one off keeper performance against Spurs. Vorm is still the keeper I'm most impressed by in the PL from lower level club.

- Re Ade, or anyone with headers, Spurs has a chicken/egg issue with crosses and headed goals. Right now if we played a game and someone put the pefect cross in for a header, likelyhood is, no one will be there to meet it. We need to build a game where our wingers can be confident that if they put it in, someone will be there trying to score. It's no rocket science that Lennon got more effective when he changed most of his crosses to pull backs on floor to edge of box, far more likely to get a Spurs player there (e.g. JD)

Not to put a downer on it or anything...

But that could just be him signing autographs for the Ajax fans..

the fans who were there are also on twitter and they have been spreading the news that he was telling everyone he is leaving

Does anyone think AVB will be able to talk Modric into giving him one season ?

i think they have already talked and Modric has made it clear he would like to join Real

after all, Sigurdsson said he spoke to AVB, Caulker said he spoke to AVB, id guess that Bale spoke to AVB before signing his new deal, so why wouldnt AVB want to chat with Modric to see how he feels

Back