• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don't see Kagawa playing in a typical 4-4-2. Think Fergie might be planning some tactical changes again.

Again? Pretty much throughout his time at Manure he's played 4-4-2, aside from in the odd CL game such as the final against Barca when he went 4-3-3

He also has three decent wingers plus decent 3 CFs (and Berbs!) so needs to keep them happy - I dont see how thats feasible with Kagawa playing in one of the wide positions or upfront

Inter have completed the transfer of Samir Handanovic from Udinese &also announcing the capture of Matias Silvestre from Palermo.

Again? Pretty much throughout his time at Manure he's played 4-4-2, aside from in the odd CL game such as the final against Barca when he went 4-3-3

He also has three decent wingers plus decent 3 CFs (and Berbs!) so needs to keep them happy - I dont see how thats feasible with Kagawa playing in one of the wide positions or upfront

It depends on how he intends to use Rooney, but Kagawa could be a key to get the best out of Welbeck and Hernandez.

I certainly wouldn't agree with that, Rooney was playing in the hole with Chicharito in front of him the season before last and often played quite deep last year, they haven't strictly played a 4-4-2 for a while. Perhaps he wants to be able to play Rooney up front with someone else behind him and doesn't see young as fit for that role.

It depends on how he intends to use Rooney, but Kagawa could be a key to get the best out of Welbeck and Hernandez.

Rooney will only play as a CF so if Kagawa does as well (ie as a deep CF / off a CF) then either Wellbeck or Hernandez wont get many starts. And cant see any of them playing out wide much given they have Young, nani and Valencia

I certainly wouldn't agree with that, Rooney was playing in the hole with Chicharito in front of him the season before last and often played quite deep last year, they haven't strictly played a 4-4-2 for a while. Perhaps he wants to be able to play Rooney up front with someone else behind him and doesn't see young as fit for that role.

BY 4-4-2, I mean 4-4-2 or also 4-4-1-1. Same thing players-wise. They still have 3 top CFs already and 3 top wingers

Rooney will only play as a CF so if Kagawa does as well (ie as a deep CF / off a CF) then either Wellbeck or Hernandez wont get many starts. And cant see any of them playing out wide much given they have Young, nani and Valencia

Welbeck/Hernandez/Rooney/(Berbs?) up front.

2 of Kagawa/Nani/Young/Valencia on the wings.

Rooney/Kagawa/Young in the hole.

Gives them a lot of scope to mix it up, each of those players offers something different in different positions IMO.

BY 4-4-2, I mean 4-4-2 or also 4-4-1-1. Same thing players-wise. They still have 3 top CFs already and 3 top wingers

I think they may have been a bit short on players to play in the hole, hence the constant links to Sneijder, playing off a main striker is not the same as playing with another striker personnel-wise IMO.

Who: Roger Morgan
Where: SO
When: 06/07/12

Roger Morgan said:

Fryers in next week I think
Everton can have Pienaar if they come up with £4.5m. At mo they can't
Arse have bid £12m for Lloris but we're in too
United think Moutinho too inconsistent for them.

Re: Luka
Was told it was done to Real. Would love him to stay but don't think his heart is in it any more

Welbeck/Hernandez/Rooney/(Berbs?) up front.

2 of Kagawa/Nani/Young/Valencia on the wings.

Rooney/Kagawa/Young in the hole.

Gives them a lot of scope to mix it up, each of those players offers something different in different positions IMO.

Right but means not many starts for someone. If you exclude the back 4 and say that Kagawa isnt one of two CMs, then there are 4 attacking positions. 38 league games plus CL...say that there are 50 big games for them, that means 4 * 50 = 200 starting positions for attacking players in big games. Wellbeck, Hernandez, Rooney, Kagawa, Young, Nani, Valencia - 7 top players excluding Berbatov.

That means <30 starts each (200/7=28 ) but realistically someone like Rooney will start 40-45 as will a couple others....so unless they play Kagawa in CM, someone wont be starting much

Talking of goalkeepers. Why go for Butland at £7m, when you could probably get John Ruddy from Norwich for that much or less and I think he is a brilliant goalkeeper. Only 25 too.

Right but means not many starts for someone. If you exclude the back 4 and say that Kagawa isnt one of two CMs, then there are 4 attacking positions. 38 league games plus CL...say that there are 50 big games for them, that means 4 * 50 = 200 starting positions for attacking players in big games. Wellbeck, Hernandez, Rooney, Kagawa, Young, Nani, Valencia - 7 top players excluding Berbatov.

That means <30 starts each (200/7=28 ) but realistically someone like Rooney will start 40-45 as will a couple others....so unless they play Kagawa in CM, someone wont be starting much

Player revolt?

Who: Roger Morgan
Where: SO
When: 06/07/12

Roger Morgan said:

Fryers in next week I think
Everton can have Pienaar if they come up with £4.5m. At mo they can't
Arse have bid £12m for Lloris but we're in too
United think Moutinho too inconsistent for them.

Re: Luka
Was told it was done to Real. Would love him to stay but don't think his heart is in it any more

Thanks for the info we've all read in the tabloids Roger.

Talking of goalkeepers. Why go for Butland at £7m, when you could probably get John Ruddy from Norwich for that much or less and I think he is a brilliant goalkeeper. Only 25 too.

Birmingham are championship. Norwich are Premiership.

Ruddy would cost more than 7m.

I'm just haunted by memories of the many sitters he missed for us last season! Obviously he can score good headers, it's just a matter of doing it consistently, which he simply did not do for us last season IMO.

Okay, we'll be changing a successful formula in terms of team tactic but I think overall Adebayor's role will (or should) be pretty similar, lots of lateral movement to drag CBs about in order to create space from runners from deep and the wingers cutting in, dropping deep to draw them out of position and link play, while also providing a presence in the box. Maybe he'll be told to get in the box more but I don't think that's where his skills are best utilised and I'm not sure how rigidly he would stick to that anyway, so I don't think there'll be much of a radical change in what he does. Playing him strictly as a poacher in the mould of Falcao for Porto would be a mistake IMO... (that's if we even sign him!)

How many headed opportunities did he get? :-k

Personally I imagine with support from wide forwards he will not need to move across the width of the pitch, rather operate more centrally (though I like having in Ade the option to change tactics as well) with the other forwards occupying the spaces he did so often last season.

Also, with a midfield 3 there *should* be a runner form deep (someone like Sigurdsson) occupying those areas - so broadly I think his field of play will be a lot smaller, and his role a lot more focused on scoring than playing the "total forward" like he did previously.

Thinking back to his Arsenal days (when he was in a similar position) I think he could do very well.

And as I say, he also offers the extra bonus of allowing us to change it up comlpletely without subs...

How many headed opportunities did he get? :-kPersonally I imagine with support from wide forwards he will not need to move across the width of the pitch, rather operate more centrally (though I like having in Ade the option to change tactics as well) with the other forwards occupying the spaces he did so often last season.

Also, with a midfield 3 there *should* be a runner form deep (someone like Sigurdsson) occupying those areas - so broadly I think his field of play will be a lot smaller, and his role a lot more focused on scoring than playing the "total forward" like he did previously.

Thinking back to his Arsenal days (when he was in a similar position) I think he could do very well.

And as I say, he also offers the extra bonus of allowing us to change it up comlpletely without subs...

Exactly. People go on about how good Bale's crosses are but I can't recall him ever putting in a cross that wasn't below around knee height?

Back