• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Meh...

Sorry to be a bit of a Victor Meldrew but I have to concur with what Sheikh and Crawley said a day or two ago.....

Far too much tactical discussion in here and chat about formations and players' ideal positions.

Please understand that some of us find 90% of that kind of chat incredibly boring. But we still, unfortunately, have to plough through it because we are interested in reading about and discussing what this thread is supposed to be about - transfer rumours and ITK.

I can understand how the thread can be derailed by tactical chat but can I ask, please, that those who wish to discuss such things exercise a modicum of self control and take the discussion to another thread. Perhaps start a tactics / formation / player position thread?

Many thanks.

Redknapp said yesterday that whilst watching Ajax, Eriksen was not a player he was looking at. So Vertonghen and brick de Jong it is then
I think this is the reason I'd prefer a Director of Football. I know a lot of you will respond negatively but the American style of sports with a General Manager is better for the team long term as they build the team for the future regardless of who is coaching/managing it. Who gives a brick if Harry doesn't want Eriksen right now - he could be gone in a year if something better comes along or Levy tires of him. Those kind of decisions should be made by someone who is thinking longer than the term of their contract.

Redknapp said yesterday that whilst watching Ajax, Eriksen was not a player he was looking at. So Vertonghen and brick de Jong it is then

I took it that Redknapp quickly back tracked so he didn't let the cat out the bag. I thought he dropped bit of a clanger to be honest.

The way I watched it was that Redknapp said he has watched the lad (meaning Eriksen) a few times, then he quickly made it clear he meant Ajax and not Eriksen.

Who knows though?

I think this is the reason I'd prefer a Director of Football. I know a lot of you will respond negatively but the American style of sports with a General Manager is better for the team long term as they build the team for the future regardless of who is coaching/managing it. Who gives a brick if Harry doesn't want Eriksen right now - he could be gone in a year if something better comes along or Levy tires of him. Those kind of decisions should be made by someone who is thinking longer than the term of their contract.

This does not always work either. A head coach can come in with different systems and formations and suddenly the personnel does not suit the new coach's system either. Then they have to trade and draft and sigh Free agents to get it the way he wants it. Then we he fires they start again. It happens just as much in American Sports as it does in football.

The only way that the system you are talking about really works if is you have a coaching system that works from the bottom up, with all teams playing the same system. And when the coach moves on you promote from within so as to keep the same structure, formation and beliefs. Barca is a good example of course, they did much better promoting Pep than getting Mourinhio in, even though i rate Jose as the best around. He would not have suited Barca at all.

Last edited:
This does not always work either. A head coach can come in with different systems and formations and suddenly the personnel does not suit the new coache's system either. Then they have to trade and draft and sigh Free agents to get it the way he wants it. Then we he fires they start again. It happens just as much in American Sports as it does in football.

You have to make sure the head coach fits in with how the club wants to do things.

You have to make sure the head coach fits in with how the club wants to do things.

agreed. But this rarely happens. new ideas come along and they let the new coach rip up the old team and start over. I Follow American Sports a lot, and it happens all the time with my teams. They rarely find or promote a like minded coach. And the new one ends up changing it all.

Word is Chelsea are handing Di Matteo a 1-year contract. Will be unveiled when he comes back from holiday.

I can't stand the north American system. The coach is always the first one to go but he's making do with someone else's players. The only way it works is if you get a manager and a DOF who know and trust each other.

Or that Roman has learnt his lesson in not offering long term deals to coaches he's not sure will be there long term....

I have some genuine itk!\o/ redknapp's is definitely leaving:x
I was at the christening of a friends son today, and one of our mutual friends, who is a lawyer and whose wife is also a lawyer told me that one of her colleagues ad told that spurs had asked us to act on their behalf in drawing up an agreement for us and redknapp to terminate his contract with mutual consent! Basically there are two people within the firm who have got the same name, one who is dealing with this case, and the other guy who is a friend of hers, anyway apparently all the details were sent to the wrong guy (her friend) initially by mistake, which is how she came to know about it. Make of that what you will, my friend seemed to think it was genuine!

Tottenham Hotspur anticipate that if they do decide to sell midfielder Luka Modric this summer it will not be to a Premier League team and not for less than ?ú40m. However, unlike 12 months ago, there is a greater possibility that the Croatian could be permitted to leave for the right price.

The issue of Modric's future is once again the subject of discussion, with Manchester United reported to be among the interested parties. But the four years left on Modric's deal mean that Daniel Levy, the Spurs chairman, holds all the cards and he will not countenance selling one of the most sought-after midfielders in the world for less than a premium fee.

It is understood that Spurs rate the chances of an agreement to sell Modric this summer at around 50-50 but there is no deal currently in place with United. If they were to sell Modric, it would be Levy and Spurs' preference that he go to Spain, Italy or even the Qatari-owned Paris St-Germain in France's Ligue 1. Levy considers next season's target to be a place in the Champions League and he does not see the sense in selling his best players to competitors.

Modric lobbied hard for a move to Chelsea last summer, to the extent that he willingly gave interviews expressing his desire to leave the club but found Levy unyielding. Spurs' policy of either renewing contracts or selling players when they come to the final two years on their deal has placed Levy in a strong position with Modric, who signed a six year deal in May 2010.

It has been suggested that if one of the two major Spanish teams came in with a serious offer for Modric, and he wanted to go, Levy could be persuaded that a player who had given four years' service should be allowed to leave. It is indicative of their ambition that they are no longer prepared simply to sell their best players to traditionally bigger Premier League clubs, as they once did with Michael Carrick and Dimitar Berbatov to Manchester United.

Spurs are mindful of the situation that Arsenal found themselves in last summer with Cesc Fabregas and Barcelona when the player had four years left on his contract and was agitating to leave. Eventually Bar?ºa were able to buy him for ?ú30m, a relatively low price for such an elite-level player. Spurs are determined that they will not be pushed into a corner in the same way.

In the meantime, there has been no offer by Spurs to manager Harry Redknapp of a new contract. It is a high-risk strategy by Levy who considers Champions League qualification to be Redknapp's target next season, an achievement which would be rewarded with a new deal. However, there are potential problems with that approach, not least the likelihood of the uncertainty affecting Redknapp over the course of the season.

I'm resigned to him leaving so that would obviously be preferable, I don't have a great deal of faith in us replacinh him adequately though.

Back