• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You want to sell our best player, when fit, for ?ú12m?

Modric's usually always fit, wouldn't want to sell him, not for ?ú12,000,000.

Eh? 12 million for one of our best payers over the last few seasons and one of a very few who genuinely seem to give a fudge about the club? Sorry mate, you're a mentalist!!!

He wasn't even in the top three of our best players last year. Two years ago? Probably but even still, he was 2 years younger.

A better player?

I think you need to take some time and re-cap on his achievements, abilities, passion, experience for the club and then tell me if you think we could get a better player than him

You want to sell our best player on the assumption we'd buy 2 strikers or some unproven kid from Ajax? No, thanks

We aren't going to get a better player than him at the moment. Just like we won't get a player than Adebayor, won't get a better player than Bale if we sold him, Modric if we sold him, hell we won't even get a better player than Lennon if we sold him, or King if he retired but we will be BUILDING towards something better in a different system where players fit.

Unproven kid? He's about as unproven as Vertonghen ffs.

We aren't going to get a better player than him at the moment. Just like we won't get a player than Adebayor, won't get a better player than Bale if we sold him, Modric if we sold him, hell we won't even get a better player than Lennon if we sold him, or King if he retired but we will be BUILDING towards something better in a different system where players fit.

So you want to sell our best player knowing that we won't be able to replace him all on the assumption of building for some hypothetical system which might not work eventhough the current one is just fine?

Okay then

So you want to sell our best player knowing that we won't be able to replace him all on the assumption of building for some hypothetical system which might not work eventhough the current one is just fine?

Okay then

He isn't our best player, fudging hell. So many times we tried 4-3-3/4-5-1 and it probably would have worked if we didn't have VDV on the right side. Van der Vaart WORKS in a 4-4-1-1. Simple as that. Our best performances/results come last season with VDV out of the team. To fit VDV in to these systems, Lennon would have to be dropped, our second most important player last year behind Adebayor.

Mumorn, if he wasn't in the top three then he was definitely in the top four, VDV, Bale, Modric, and Adebayor. He scored numerous crucial match winning goals for us and, although he had a dip in form, like the rest of our players, there were times when he was genuinely carrying the team. You don't want to lose that kind of player! Especially not for silly money!

He isn't our best player, fudging hell. So many times we tried 4-3-3/4-5-1 and it probably would have worked if we didn't have VDV on the right side. Van der Vaart WORKS in a 4-4-1-1. Simple as that. Our best performances/results come last season with VDV out of the team. To fit VDV in to these systems, Lennon would have to be dropped, our second most important player last year behind Adebayor.

VdV can play in a 4-4-1-1, 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3 as a central midfielder and 4-3-3 wide right.

For VdV like with all players there is a fee where it would be better for us to sell him than to keep him, considering that he is 29 and has had fitness problems he is entering the last years where we could get any substantial fee for him. However ?ú12m is nowhere near that cut off number for me at least.

Selling van der Vaart for anything less than ?ú20m would be insanity.

Which sadly no one in there right mind would ever pay.

Mumorn, if he wasn't in the top three then he was definitely in the top four, VDV, Bale, Modric, and Adebayor. He scored numerous crucial match winning goals for us and, although he had a dip in form, like the rest of our players, there were times when he was genuinely carrying the team. You don't want to lose that kind of player! Especially not for silly money!

What goals did he score that "won" us a game?.. I remember one game, Blackburn away.

4-3-3/4-5-1 does not work with our squad as we dont have a goalscoring midfielder like Scholes, Lumpard etc who will get 15 goals per year. We're toothless when we play that formation. If we want to play it 3 times per year ie away at ManC, Manure and cheatski then fine but it should be a rarity.

I'm not going to comment on the VdV comment as I am assuming its a wind up

Laughing because it's true I imagine

Are you acually being serious?

I'll take away his goals from the various games and adjust the points accordingly - ridiculous way to analyise the player btw -

Arsenal (2:1) - 2 points dropped

Wigan (2:1) - 2 points dropped

Saudi Sportswashing Machine (2:2) - 1 point dropped

Blackburn (2:1) - 3 points dropped

Swansea (1:1) - 1 point dropped

Watfrod - FA Cup - winning goal

Stoke (1:1) - 1 point dropped

Crucial opening goals against Swansea and Blackburn. Few others in 'larger' scores have not been included

So that equals to 10 points alone from his 'crucial goals' - and would have us down in 6th place on 59 points, 3 above Everton.

Not to mention his assits and unrivaled creativity in the final 3rd coupled with his astonishing work rate

Yes, - he clearly contribitues nothing :rolleyes:

Last edited:
4-3-3/4-5-1 does not work with our squad as we dont have a goalscoring midfielder like Scholes, Lumpard etc who will get 15 goals per year. We're toothless when we play that formation. If we want to play it 3 times per year ie away at ManC, Manure and cheatski then fine but it should be a rarity.

I'm not going to comment on the VdV comment as I am assuming its a wind up

Which is why we spend the money on a goalscoring midfielder.. Something we've needed. In all honesty, I've said, if we play 4-5-1. We need to be playing VDV in central midfield next to Modric and not the Modric/Sandro/Parker trio that Redknapp insists of playing.

Unless we poach someone like Allardyce, what manager would NEED to rebuild the squad? Its a quality squad, any new manager need only strengthen in certain areas.

It was of a response to those that think that we're currently pursuing Harry's choices and would have to start all over with different targets if we changed manager.

In all honesty, I don't listen to many things you say since you said Sturridge was better than Welbeck :ross:

Sturridge is better than Welbeck, but still not very good. They're English, so people will obviously overrate them both

Back