• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The summer transfer thread, Dembele pg 1277 #Levytime

Lampard actually is a great passer of the ball and has a vision! But I agree he is a similar type of player. From what I have seen Sigurdsson reminds me an awful lot of Allan Nielsen and probably has a similar ability level as well.

Sigurdsson has much more ability/talent with the ball, Nielsen had more of an engine/workrate

I think that MLK is right, key to AVB's system is closing down the opposition quickly from the front. This system requires athletic, quick players, I think that it is no coincidence that many of the players being linked with moves away do not fit this requirement.

Dont forget though - the key to that is having condensed play into their half/last third of the pitch.

How athletic is Vertonghen? Sigurdsson isnt typically athletic.

Players being linked with moves? Hudd, a loan with intent to return - not athletic. Defoe and Lennon = Athletic.

It doesnt stack up IMO.

Against WBA how essential was athleticism? We pressed them easily because they had no room to work with as we were camped on top of them - that was the key - not athletism IMO.

I think that MLK is right, key to AVB's system is closing down the opposition quickly from the front. This system requires athletic, quick players, I think that it is no coincidence that many of the players being linked with moves away do not fit this requirement.

Yep. It's a different formation, a different more direct playing style, a different way of playing defensively, a different way of pressing when we don't have the ball and increasingly it's going to be different playing personnel (when you think last season we had Modric/Parker with VDV in front of them in the engine room and it looks we'll have complete new players there this year). How anyone can say we aren't in revolution is beyond me. The team is unrecognisable from last season except on the flanks.....and even they are playing differently!

It's clear that AVB wants pace in the side and, for now anyway, is willing to sacrifice technique and ability for athleticism.

I disagree

We've gone for Vertonghen, Dembele, Siggurdsson and are looking at Affelay, Willian, Moutinho

These are not pure pace/athletic merchants, they are also technique players

Sigurdsson has much more ability/talent with the ball, Nielsen had more of an engine/workrate

Don't get me wrong, it's not a critque. I rated Nielsen! Nielsen was a goal threat from midfield, and I think Sigurdsson is too. But in terms of first touch, picking out a pass etc, I don't think Sigurdsson is top draw. He is all about supporting the lone striker and getting into the goals.

I thought Sig was more a Lampard style player i.e. arrive late in the box, pick it up outside the box etc.

I havent seen any evidence that he possesses great vision or passing ability, hes not bad at them but you need to be great to knit the play like you are suggesting in a top team.
Read my post again mate.

I disagree

We've gone for Vertonghen, Dembele, Siggurdsson and are looking at Affelay, Willian, Moutinho

These are not pure pace/athletic merchants, they are also technique players

Was he AVB's? I don't think so personally. And the fact he was left out against Saudi Sportswashing Machine was very telling for me. Maybe it was because AVB was worried about Saudi Sportswashing Machine's pace up top, but Kaboul/Gallas is likely to be the first choice pairing this year IMO when all are fit.

Dembele is a beast! I like him a lot as a player. He reminds me a lot of Vieira.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a critque. I rated Nielsen! Nielsen was a goal threat from midfield, and I think Sigurdsson is too. But in terms of first touch, picking out a pass etc, I don't think Sigurdsson is top draw. He is all about supporting the lone striker and getting into the goals.

give it time, the ability is there

My view is AVB does seek a quicker, more athletic and dynamic system of play. But more than suggesting this is simply about 'athleticism' Isee AVB as someone who analyzes what he gets out of each player in their respective areas of the pitch. It is for this reason, for instance, that I think Lennon could become vulnerable to future displacement. But at the moment it is still to early to say what AVB wants. I would only say Siggy and Dembele are AVB signings, but even then it is hard to tell.

Yep. It's a different formation, a different more direct playing style, a different way of playing defensively, a different way of pressing when we don't have the ball and increasingly it's going to be different playing personnel (when you think last season we had Modric/Parker with VDV in front of them in the engine room and it looks we'll have complete new players there this year). How anyone can say we aren't in revolution is beyond me. The team is unrecognisable from last season except on the flanks.....and even they are playing differently!

It is adjustements to what we had previously, and aside from enforced changes is by and large the same set of players currently.

CB pairing with a ball player? Check
Full backs getting forward? Check
Midfield pair as base/foundation? Check
One playmaking, one more defensive covering CBs? Check
Wingers using the width of the pitch? Check
Single striker? Check
AM/Second striker (whatever) playing in between the lines? Check...

AQll the ingredients of Harrys team then. Differences are, IMO, tweaks to the shape and more of a framework being put on top of Harrys set up. Basically Redknapp was an alchemist who could make gold out of random items, and AVB is working out the formula so he can do it more reliably.

Huddlestone - Has been clarified as going out on loan to get up to speed. Reports have it the deal broke down because Stoke didnt want us to have a Jan release clause, so Im inclined to think it is exactly as we said. Getting Huddlestone up to speed - TO RETURN...

Don't know if there was any truth in it but heard earlier that the loan to Stoke broke down as a chronic ankle problem showed up in the medical. Stoke still want Hudd but at a reduced loan fee.

Jan Vertonghen ‏@Jan_Vertonghen
10 years after our last game togheter at Germinal Beerschot, we're playing togheter again! @mousadembele #greatplayer #greatman

Was he AVB's? I don't think so personally. And the fact he was left out against Saudi Sportswashing Machine was very telling for me. Maybe it was because AVB was worried about Saudi Sportswashing Machine's pace up top, but Kaboul/Gallas is likely to be the first choice pairing this year IMO when all are fit.

Dembele is a beast! I like him a lot as a player. He reminds me a lot of Vieira.

You think Levy signed a player for around 10m just days after signing his new manager without the manager wanting him?

AVB has been said to have scouted plenty of players in between getting sacked at Chelsea and getting the Spurs job, AVB and Levy surely discussed things like transfers in the time leading up to AVB signing. You don't think the subject of signing Vertonghen might have come up?

Central defenders struggling to adjust to the Premiership at first seems to be more the rule than the exception to me, I think AVB just wanted to start with a centre back pair that knew each other in a tough away game and bed Vertonghen in slightly slower.

Jan Vertonghen ‏@Jan_Vertonghen
10 years after our last game togheter at Germinal Beerschot, we're playing togheter again! @mousadembele #greatplayer #greatman

Have they not played together for the Dutch since then?

James Horncastle @JamesHorncastle 2m
Oh my word “@tancredipalmeri: JUST IN:Berbatov rejects Juventus bid to join Fulham!”

Don't know if there was any truth in it but heard earlier that the loan to Stoke broke down as a chronic ankle problem showed up in the medical. Stoke still want Hudd but at a reduced loan fee.

I heard this too. Either way, why let a player strengthen a rival to get him up to speed? He is better off being at Spurs and the player himself already says he is fully fit. So clearly something awry.

Was he AVB's? I don't think so personally.

You were the one staunchly defending Harrys right to be credited with all signings under him, shouting down those who stated "Sandro was a Levy buy" and such.

Vertonghen came in on AVBs watch. Like Harry and Sandro, while he might not have done the scouting I am sure he had the power to veto.

And the fact he was left out against Saudi Sportswashing Machine was very telling for me. Maybe it was because AVB was worried about Saudi Sportswashing Machine's pace up top, but Kaboul/Gallas is likely to be the first choice pairing this year IMO when all are fit.

Or, instead of conspiracy, it could be that Vertonghen had played international football a few days earlier and was rested - or (more likely IMO) AVB didnt see it as necessary to throw him in at the premiership deep end.

I see no bearing on who is the starting pair going forward at all.

Absolutely, especially the way he eats up the yards in midfield with the ball in seconds

Re: The 1060 pages and finally a striker summer transfer thread

Jetset says on 26th Aug

- No Damiao this window (implying he's staying with Inter for the rest of their season)
- AVB doesn't want Dembele
- Willian v.close
- No Llorente
- No Lloris
- No M'Vila
- Doesn't think there's much chance of Nani but didn't dismiss it entirely

quick change of mind:-k

First I heard of that. The ankle injury is well known so I cant imagine it being a sudden issue.

It was reported that we wanted them to pay £500k for the loan, pay his wages (both they agreed) but also allow us a Jan recall option which they werent interested in

Back