• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer transfer thread, AvB window wrap up pg 1527

Which player would you like to see take over from Luka Modric?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
3-1 now. Hmmm, Llorente definitely off then in my eyes, but to who, that is the question we want answers to!

Because Levy has no history of signing older players on free transfers? Just because our fans make unfounded assumptions, doesn't mean they are right. The free transfers we've made have all made financial sense, so Levy would have been more than happy with them. Saha and Nelson, for example, would have been ideal Levy transfers, as they were stop gaps on short term deals and given the clubs they joined us from we can assume relatively low wages. They cost us very little and meant we didn't have spend money in the Jan window, when little is on offer and when he was obviously planning a change of manager in the summer. So they were clearly hugely "Levy" signings and made a lot of sense. Other than that we signed Gallas and Friedal, who again fit in perfectly with the profile of player Levy likes to sign.

It's about math and not simply a question on age. As long as the a players depreciation and wages and below a certain figure, they fit into the transfer policy. Levy is not adverse to signing older players, but on the right terms and hence he likes free transfers, as they don't depreciate in value. What he hates to do is pay a decent fee for an older player. Parker is absolutely an example of a signing Levy wouldn't have liked to make. But if AVB wanted Owen and he'd be on a reasonable wage, then Levy would have no problem at all. The "Harry" signing argument was just another example of our fans misunderstanding things and assuming they were right as it was popular opinion.

All players signed while Harry was at the club. ;)

You're absolutely right to say that Levy was fine with these signings because, as you say, they weren't especially costly and all could do a job in the short term. But he tolerates rather than relishes such signings, I believe.

One further, small point - while the likes of Gallas and Friedel were, despite their age, still at the top of their game at the time that they joined Spurs, Owen most certainly is not.

Agent_IDK ‏@Agent_IDK_

Modric in attendance at Real Madrid v Valencia game. Been advised his appearance can help force through his transfer.

Andre Mitrovski ‏@AaronLennon10

Modric in the stands watching Madrid - Valencia?

Getting in some practice for when he is watching from the bench??

So Sahin, did we not fancy him or did he just want CL football. Seems like the first if reports he was happy to join Liverpool were true. We should have made it part of the Modric deal that they cant loan him to Arsenal or something. If we did want him we should have made them loan him to us, I'm sure they could force him if they want him to.

Agent_IDK ‏@Agent_IDK_

Modric in attendance at Real Madrid v Valencia game. Been advised his appearance can help force through his transfer.

Andre Mitrovski ‏@AaronLennon10

Modric in the stands watching Madrid - Valencia?

:ross:

Have to laugh at Modric's advisors. They've concocted so many failed hair-brained schemes thinking 'No, THIS will DEFINITELY force Levy to sell you Luka!' that it doesn't surprise me they'd try this.

I don't care mind, I want it over as much as anyone. I just find the thought of them thinking they can bully Levy using these kind of tactics to be quite hilarious.

Have to laugh at Modric's advisors. They've concocted so many failed hair-brained schemes thinking 'No, THIS will DEFINITELY force Levy to sell you Luka!' that it doesn't surprise me they'd try this.

I don't care mind, I want it over as much as anyone. I just find the thought of them thinking they can bully Levy using these kind of tactics to be quite hilarious.

If we werent so damn dependent on this cash (which everyone knows we are hence the lowball offers) I would love it if Levy rejects everyone and shoves the **** in the reserves

All players signed while Harry was at the club. ;)

You're absolutely right to say that Levy was fine with these signings because, as you say, they weren't especially costly and all could do a job in the short term. But he tolerates rather than relishes such signings, I believe.

One further, small point - while the likes of Gallas and Friedel were, despite their age, still at the top of their game at the time that they joined Spurs, Owen most certainly is not.

I think this is a unlikely to be true, but again it's become the common opinion. I'd imagine free transfers are those which cause him the least stress. In the last 8 years have we made a free transfer that proved a bad deal? I don't think we've ever ended up being lumbered with a player we didn't want or need to a few years. We've always either easily got rid of our free transfers or got good service from them. We had no problems getting rid of Redknapp, Davids and Naybet, so all is well there. Saha and Nelson were brought in on short deals as cover, did their jobs and left. So no problems there. Cudicini did well enough to earn an extension so again happy days. Friedal and Gallas have been good signings and are in our first team. So again, against the popular opinion of Spurs fans, I suspect Levy is pretty happy to do do these type of deals, as long as the numbers are right. It wouldn't make sense for him to feel as if he's "tolerating" them, as they've proven very fruitful and incredibly stress free for him. It's paying money for older players he hates and occasionally tolerates. Losing money on Woodgate, Gilberto and Keane is what he hates and why he "tolerated" signing Parker. Free transfers are fine by him.

Who says it got anything to do with his advisors? It's quite obvious he's joining them, maybe he was invited or just fancied watching the team he's about to join? Hardly the outrageous manoeuvre the Twitter media would like to make out....

Last time that happened, Harry opened his present and it had Rafa Van Der Vaart inside!

True although I still didnt understand that transfer - from what I understand it kinda fell in our laps rather than us pursuing it. Although like I say I dont know.

I am hoping Llorente is AVBs gift along with Moutinho and Ade.

It was strange watching MotD earlier.

Teams had changed quite a bit, lots of new signings.

There were new strikers creating and scoring goals.

Some guy called Petric, another called Pogrebnyak, two guys for Swansea that Laudrup got from Spain.

Quite strange seeing all these new players all over the place, especially those playing for teams that aren't in the CL.

Ah well, we will get Kaka and Pele soon...

During the game the bench were stating they were 'cautiously optimistic'..

But there needs to be a scan in 2 days so they can wait for swelling to go down and that kind of crap..

If he played for Arsenal he'd be available for the weekend.
If he played for Spurs our physios would say out for 3 months but we would not see him for the rest of the season

Joking apart, wouldnt surprise me if he returns after the international break and just misses a few games

Back