• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Talk was he has already been to the training ground and stadium earlier this summer. But who knows might (probably) gonads

I laugh when that stuff is mentioned. I would love to know why Martial would be bothered to go and visit the new stadium site, let alone go through a visit without being spotted by one of the 3000+ workers reportedly on site!

I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Our first eleven is good in some areas, lacking in others.

Areas of strength - striker (Harry), attacking midfielders (Eriksen/Alli/Son or Lucas), CB (Sanchez + Verts), in goal (Hugo). There are still a couple of weak-ish spots here, mind (Son's availability and form might seriously fluctuate this year, and Sanchez is still a bit raw and needs a rest after three straight years of football without a break).

Passable areas - right-back (Trippier or Aurier). Both can be superb on their day, although with Aurier those days haven't yet been frequent, and in Trippier's case, those days have been balanced out with days where he's been skinned and left for dead by wingers with pace and skill (Sane, Martial, Sanchez et al).

Weak areas - left back, central midfield.

Left back - Davies is solid, but not superb. Rose was superb in 16/17, but has had an annus horribilis, England exploits aside.

Central midfield - Dier is a dependable (if unspectacular) defensive midfielder, but Wanyama looked well off the pace upon his return back in March/April. It's even worse with the other two options - Dembele started showing his age at multiple points last season, and Winks isn't ready yet given the stalling of his progress due to that injury he's been nursing for eight-odd months.

Thus, I don't think we're quite as strong as to necessitate this sort of surgical precision in our signings. Our first eleven has definite spaces for improvement.

The problem isn't whether you're right or wrong Dubai, it is how you convince CL quality that you're right. Because trust me on this, the single biggest issue we've had in the past has been convincing top talent that they can fight for -and win- a place in that starting 11. We are in a very, very tough spot. We have a first eleven which (to the outside at any rate) is a top 4, CL established side of great talent and irreplaceable stars, which means that when a top player that Poch wants comes along (think Isco) they simply are not convinced that they won't be fighting for their place. It is an issue for us IMO...

The problem isn't whether you're right or wrong Dubai, it is how you convince CL quality that you're right. Because trust me on this, the single biggest issue we've had in the past has been convincing top talent that they can fight for -and win- a place in that starting 11. We are in a very, very tough spot. We have a first eleven which (to the outside at any rate) is a top 4, CL established side of great talent and irreplaceable stars, which means that when a top player that Poch wants comes along (think Isco) they simply are not convinced that they won't be fighting for their place. It is an issue for us IMO...
Thats a fair point Steff (I actually agreed with Dubai). But you mention Isco, I'd hope that a player like him would believe he would get into our team?! Because otherwise it would literally require a player of Messi/Ronaldo level for us to acquire....

BREAKING NEWS

Chelsea have made initial contact with Juventus with the hope of signing Gonzalo Higuain, according to Sky in Italy.

After Juve completed the £105m signing of Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid last week, the Serie A club need to sell some players due to UEFA's FFP rules.

New Chelsea boss Maurizio Sarri worked with Higuain at Napoli before the striker joined Juventus in 2016, and Sky in Italy believe Sarri is keen to link up with the 30-year-old again at Stamford Bridge.

I have no idea why we are pursuing zaha. He does not fit into any of the 3 categories we should be looking at in order to win the league and CL.

He is also massively overpriced and Lucas is better than him.

Also if we are a serious club with said aims, sissoko should never play for the club again.

Zaha is a player that can start and be affective and change a game from the bench.

Also helpfully he can play anywhere across the front - a much better option than a striker.

You are of course spot on about Sissoko

Even if we are getting a few specific players it would be good to get them earlier than later. It's more the timing than the quantity of transfers that is making me worried about our decisiveness in the transfer market. Look at arsenal... No CL and uncertainty with the new boss.... Still on time and ahead of us.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app
Yeah, but look at who they signed. We could have gotten these type of signings in ourselves, if we deemed them to be at the level we want. We're aiming higher, though.

Central midfield - Dier is a dependable (if unspectacular) defensive midfielder, but Wanyama looked well off the pace upon his return back in March/April. It's even worse with the other two options - Dembele started showing his age at multiple points last season, and Winks isn't ready yet given the stalling of his progress due to that injury he's been nursing for eight-odd months.

I rate Dier much higher than you, however I agree that CM is a concern. Seems like Dembele is leaving, Winks injury is very concerning (anyone know if he's started pre-season training?) whilst there were rumours about Wanyama being touted around (might obviously be untrue). Feels like we might need at least one signing over the next 20 days

Back