• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Yeah, I think Liverpool's business has been very good so far. It's obviously been expensive, but they have gotten a load of players who look like they SHOULD be good. Obviously, it's a lot of change and none of their signings has Prem experience, so I don't think it guarantees anything.

I think short of them, there's nobody else who has blown me away. City scored 100 points last season, so they obviously didn't need much. United hasn't done much, and the only player who Arsenal signed who would make our matchday squad is Torriera. Jorginho is meant to be really good, but Courtois is almost definitely leaving, and Hazard and Kante could still leave. That's a downgrade.

Honestly, Liverpool's the only team that feels like they look much better on paper, and they paid top dollar for all of their signings. They're still not as good as City for me, and I think we should be right in there in the Top 4 hunt again.

ITK now saying Martial is no longer an option.

With Mourinho mentioning how tough preseason is with the world cup players still missing i guess it makes sense. I wonder if a lot of clubs will be reluctant to sell fringe players now if their stars are gonna be returning late for preseason
I don’t think Martial was ever an option, we wanted him three years ago there’s been nothing to suggest we are interested in him now bar some tentative speculation because of our previous interest and some on here fancying a swap for Toby....

I don’t think Martial was ever an option, we wanted him three years ago there’s been nothing to suggest we are interested in him now bar some tentative speculation because of our previous interest and some on here fancying a swap for Toby....

Talk was he has already been to the training ground and stadium earlier this summer. But who knows might (probably) gonad*s

I don't think there's much of a point to be made here really (though i do appreciate you collating the transfers) - whether the specific players our rivals are buying would improve us or not is not the issue, the issue is that they are improving their team (or at least are hoping to)

We don't need a new/better goalkeeper, for example, to improve as a team but a side like Liverpool who finished close to us in the table do and so that is ground they have potentially made up on us (if you throw in their other signings you'd have to say they have probably over taken us)

Hey, collating the transfers was a copy and paste from the PL website link, no biggie :)

I think the fact that we've not signed any of the players listed or signed by anyone in the EPL is very much a valid point. The transfers completed so far probably didn't interest us, or we couldn't pay the players salary demands, or we couldn't guarantee fist team football, or players didn't fancy trying to oust our existing 1st team, etc.

Every club seeks to strengthen their teams in the summer, it's a given and yes, Victim'pool have done really well given Can left on a Free to Juve and Milner is on his last legs. Fabinho and Keita look like excellent additions who I expect to do well in the EPL and if they also sign Alisson then they have addressed their own gaps and are indeed going to threaten the top 4, cup challenges and our decent record of finishing above them.

I believe we are seeking very specific players identified as an improvement over existing players, (can we even use the term Marque signing at Spurs?), that have the hunger and mentality. It's probable those players are only now returning from the world cup and discussing options with their agents and clubs.

For me, the most successful window we can have is to keep Toby, Dembele and Rose, get rid of the fringe and downright unwanted, (looking at N'koudou and Vinny), bring in a promising young humble striker willing to learn and bring the Marque signing of Bale.

I know most of that is not going to happen but I'm certainly not going to stress and worry about something completely outside of my control and in the hands of professionals who are in negotiations for new Spurs players as we type... :)

Probably Fred given we need someone to replace Dembele, though we obviously dont have to limit ourselves to this pool of players
Good shout but I'd like to see Dembele stay with us and play the big games and mentor Josh who I'm hoping does enough during the upcoming matches to warrant first team action.

Even if we are getting a few specific players it would be good to get them earlier than later. It's more the timing than the quantity of transfers that is making me worried about our decisiveness in the transfer market. Look at arsenal... No CL and uncertainty with the new boss.... Still on time and ahead of us.

Sent from my SM-T819Y using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Was thinking about him earlier
Bayern are hawking him around and he is IMO a brilliant player who would suit us perfectly to replace Moussa (yes he plays differently)
Yes, more an Eriksen type player than Dembele I would say. I think he is fantastic and I am a little surprised he would up for transfer at all. In saying that I do not watch enough of Bayern to comment why that would be. Maybe he is underperforming.

I would be over the moon if we managed to snaffle him up. IMO he fits into that category of flawed genius that we seem to attract (and can actually afford). Go for it Danny.

people forget what a superb first 11 we have, and as such, squad assembly is a very, very specific science in our case...

I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Our first eleven is good in some areas, lacking in others.

Areas of strength - striker (Harry), attacking midfielders (Eriksen/Alli/Son or Lucas), CB (Sanchez + Verts), in goal (Hugo). There are still a couple of weak-ish spots here, mind (Son's availability and form might seriously fluctuate this year, and Sanchez is still a bit raw and needs a rest after three straight years of football without a break).

Passable areas - right-back (Trippier or Aurier). Both can be superb on their day, although with Aurier those days haven't yet been frequent, and in Trippier's case, those days have been balanced out with days where he's been skinned and left for dead by wingers with pace and skill (Sane, Martial, Sanchez et al).

Weak areas - left back, central midfield.

Left back - Davies is solid, but not superb. Rose was superb in 16/17, but has had an annus horribilis, England exploits aside.

Central midfield - Dier is a dependable (if unspectacular) defensive midfielder, but Wanyama looked well off the pace upon his return back in March/April. It's even worse with the other two options - Dembele started showing his age at multiple points last season, and Winks isn't ready yet given the stalling of his progress due to that injury he's been nursing for eight-odd months.

Thus, I don't think we're quite as strong as to necessitate this sort of surgical precision in our signings. Our first eleven has definite spaces for improvement.

I'm not entirely convinced this is true. Our first eleven is good in some areas, lacking in others.

Areas of strength - striker (Harry), attacking midfielders (Eriksen/Alli/Son or Lucas), CB (Sanchez + Verts), in goal (Hugo). There are still a couple of weak-ish spots here, mind (Son's availability and form might seriously fluctuate this year, and Sanchez is still a bit raw and needs a rest after three straight years of football without a break).

Passable areas - right-back (Trippier or Aurier). Both can be superb on their day, although with Aurier those days haven't yet been frequent, and in Trippier's case, those days have been balanced out with days where he's been skinned and left for dead by wingers with pace and skill (Sane, Martial, Sanchez et al).

Weak areas - left back, central midfield.

Left back - Davies is solid, but not superb. Rose was superb in 16/17, but has had an annus horribilis, England exploits aside.

Central midfield - Dier is a dependable (if unspectacular) defensive midfielder, but Wanyama looked well off the pace upon his return back in March/April. It's even worse with the other two options - Dembele started showing his age at multiple points last season, and Winks isn't ready yet given the stalling of his progress due to that injury he's been nursing for eight-odd months.

Thus, I don't think we're quite as strong as to necessitate this sort of surgical precision in our signings. Our first eleven has definite spaces for improvement.
Indeed, we do have a very good first XI but could definitely improve on. Also the nucleus of this squad has been here a while now, so could probably do with a shake up or two regardless.....

Yes, more an Eriksen type player than Dembele I would say. I think he is fantastic and I am a little surprised he would up for transfer at all. In saying that I do not watch enough of Bayern to comment why that would be. Maybe he is underperforming.

I would be over the moon if we managed to snaffle him up. IMO he fits into that category of flawed genius that we seem to attract (and can actually afford). Go for it Danny.

I read Bayern are having similar issues to us on their quota for non country players

There’s talk of James going back to Madrid because of it

Back