• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Agree with all except Stambouli. I thought he looked decent, and was surprised Poch got rid of him so quickly. Also if youre putting N'Jie and N'Koudou as no harm no foul buys then surely the same applies to Stambouli who only cost approx 5m.....

Stambouli was a tidy player, clearly quite well rounded - went off to PSG didnt he*? And yet he always looked out of his depth with us, too slow physically and mentally IMO.

He was 24, highly regarded, and managed just 12 appearances.

Its not that he was bad, especially, just that he didnt work out. And he came, for me, with an added bit of expectation being that bit older and more experienced. He was vice captain at Montpellier having just won the title with them.

*Had a look, he is at Shalke now after one season in Paris.

NDombele sounds really exciting to me.
I liked Capoue, and he has done well at Watford.
While the Jury is out on Moura/Aurier Im actually quite a fan of both.
Sissoko was bought from the PL, doesnt apply.
Njie/Nkoudou were punts, no harm no foul type buys.
Stambouli obviously didnt work out, bit of a flop

I did say French players/market so he does apply. So the criteria is to be French or to have been signed from Ligue1. He is French isn't he?:confused::) plus we were close to signing him from Toulouse under Redknapp so there was always a long standing interest

I liked all those players I mentioned but for whatever reasons they didn't quite work out for us. Compare this to the big successes we've had from the Dutch and German leagues, Belgians, as well as buying domestically.

We've also had a low success rate with the Spanish players/market

Just curious that's all

I did say French players/market so he does apply. So the criteria is to be French or to have been signed from Ligue1. He is French isn't he?:confused::) plus we were close to signing him from Toulouse under Redknapp so there was always a long standing interest

I liked all those players I mentioned but for whatever reasons they didn't quite work out for us. Compare this to the big successes we've had from the Dutch and German leagues, Belgians, as well as buying domestically.

Just curious that's all

Every one of your examples was a buy from France, Sissoko stood out as very much a known quantity as a high profile domestic buy - didnt fit the way I read your point. There was a definite theme holding all the other examples together.

In general I think players come from Germany, France and Holland and adapt well to the premier league. More so than Spain and particularly Italy (though the Spanish transition seems to be improving).

Specifically Spurs you are right, we dont do great from France - maybe its a scouting thing?

Every one of your examples was a buy from France, Sissoko stood out as very much a known quantity as a high profile domestic buy - didnt fit the way I read your point. There was a definite theme holding all the other examples together.

In general I think players come from Germany, France and Holland and adapt well to the premier league. More so than Spain and particularly Italy (though the Spanish transition seems to be improving).

Specifically Spurs you are right, we dont do great from France - maybe its a scouting thing?
I think it was more a couple of punts that we didnt win or lose from as we recouped our money on them pretty much. Aurier and Moura are still established quality buys who should be judged on this season, and I think both will prove to be decent signings....

Do you remember internet transfer rumours before clubs had communication policies.Forums were built on the tit bits that percolated through. Now it's the reverse, transfers seem one of the least interesting things about Spurs. The team is better, the stadium is the biggie and twitter nonsense has replaced forums for tit bits but its 99% agents hyping clients. I tend not to bother looking up rumored players now.

I'm sure I will be hooked again after the World Cup.

Last edited:

Just curious that's all

Yet France have the strongest squad at the tournament (possibly joint with Belgium) and have players who didn't make the squad who would easily be in ours (Koman, Rabiot, Martial and maybe Payet and Digne). There's also Koscielny who is a top defender but got injured.

France is absolutely a good place to be looking for players at the moment.

Wolves eye ambitious Juan Quintero move after Colombian playmaker's starring role at World Cup 2018
Quintero is owned by Porto but has spent the last three years on loan at Rennes, Independiente Medellín and recently River Plate

By
James Nursey

Ambitious Wolves are trying to pull off a major transfer coup with a move for Colombia star Juan Quintero.

Wolves boss Nuno Espirito Santo, who used to play and boss Porto, knows Quintero from his connections there
Quintero, 25, is still owned by the Portuguese club but has been loaned out the last three years to Rennes, Independiente Medellín and most recently River Plate.

The attacking midfielder has now caught the eye at the World Cup with one goal and two assists after playing in all three of Colombia’s matches.

Quintero is now in line to start against England in Tuesday's last 16 tie.
Wolves face stiff competition for Quintero from Spanish giants Real Madrid and Premier League rivals Spurs.

But Mirror Sport understands Jorge Mendes is working behind the scenes to try and get it done.

Superagent Mendes has close ties to Molineux as owners wealthy Chinese owners Fosun have a stake in his agency.

Their strong links have seen the likes of midfielder Ruben Neves and forward Diogo Jota join the Molineux club

Neves was a key player in Santo’s title-winning campaign last year in the Championship and Wolves want to keep him on a new five-year contract

Neves, 21, was Wolves’s player of the season last year and was named in the PFA Championship team of the year.

There's so many things wrong with that sentence

Such as? Youtube makes a lot of players look better than they actually are. Or is is the Scottish bit? He is Scottish, or at least he plays for them (according to Wiki he moved there when 10 months old)

Back