• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Id prefer a CF, I think the rest of the team needs to be Barca/Spain 2010 style levels for a false no 9 to work properly. We don't have the guile for that even though we have a very strong midfield and we're also not set up to play like that either.
The advantage of someone like Son is that they can play regularly in other positions. Meaning match fitness when needed to perform. Most centre forwards would struggle to perform lacking game time and finding someone that's happy as a backup and good enough to be better than Son isn't easy.

Quickly becomes a revolving door role at many clubs.

The advantage of someone like Son is that they can play regularly in other positions. Meaning match fitness when needed to perform. Most centre forwards would struggle to perform lacking game time and finding someone that's happy as a backup and good enough to be better than Son isn't easy.

Quickly becomes a revolving door role at many clubs.

Agreed but it's something that needs to be sorted. We need someone who can play regularly and even Son will get burnt out playing too many games with his high energy play.

Id be interested in someone to come in and develop more.

I understand the logic of Llorente, and old, experienced head who should be able to come in and impact, but its entirely short term in its nature. And in this instance hasnt worked either.

The lad Ben Brereton at Forest looks a good prospect. Only 18, very strong, very rounded game, aggressive - could be the sort of player Poch could get more out of.

Of course there is the argument for development opportunities/games and I accept that, I just like the idea of grooming a successor more than patching the position with an old player.

I don't mind the old heads tbh and i don't see the issue in there being a short term approach for a back up to Kane tbh - what does it matter if we churn through them every couple of seasons?

The key is getting someone who can do the job well - i don't think there's anything that suggests younger players would fare better than older ones for this particular squad role.

Which is fair, its just personal preference.

We have a policy of developing players, I really enjoy it.

Id prefer to see younger players coming in and developing, than older players "doing a job".

Of course I appreciate the need for experience and what it can offer, so Im not totally against it.

I just don't see a young forward getting the game time to develop tbh

Not whilst Kanes here at least, it'll be drips and drabs - someone like Giroud without the Arsenal link would be my personal preference

Not a bad shout. I do understand the doubts, its just where my preference lays. Ultimately we have done pretty damn well out of developing players just like that.

What is the situation with Jannsen? is he still our player if so i would like to see him come back. I still think he could work out for us.

Yeah, he's back in the squad, just injured.

I think like Nkoudou, Njie, Sissoko, Stambouli and others, he's just been written off as bad scouting and will quietly depart to a 3rd tier league.

I think like Nkoudou, Njie, Sissoko, Stambouli and others, he's just been written off as bad scouting and will quietly depart to a 3rd tier league.

Not sure he has been written off as he has shown far more ( imo) then the others you have mentioned. He is still young and i guess its how Poch see's his future that counts. We will see, but as others have mentioned we are not going to get a established player to sit on the bench most of the time.

Where did you see he was back in the squad? I thought he was injured in Turkey.

Wait surely we know that we cannot find a player that is happy to play second fiddle to kane.

Get players that can play am/st.

I love the teams flexibility with formation and personnel.

Not sure he has been written off as he has shown far more ( imo) then the others you have mentioned. He is still young and i guess its how Poch see's his future that counts. We will see, but as others have mentioned we are not going to get a established player to sit on the bench most of the time.

The big problem I have with Janssen is that the style of his play doesnt suit us. He's a hold up guy - the sort of CF who is useful for a bottom half of the table team who get a minority of possession but instead can play it up to him on the half way line when they're pinned back and he can hold it up and bring others in to play.

I dont think he suits the sort of team who dominates possession - we need someone who makes clever runs who our creative players can pick out. Kane can do that as well as hold the ball up, but we'll never get another Kane so having someone who has the movement etc would be the key thing I think we need in a back-up CF, rather than a hold-up CF

The big problem I have with Janssen is that the style of his play doesnt suit us. He's a hold up guy - the sort of CF who is useful for a bottom half of the table team who get a minority of possession but instead can play it up to him on the half way line when they're pinned back and he can hold it up and bring others in to play.

I dont think he suits the sort of team who dominates possession - we need someone who makes clever runs who our creative players can pick out. Kane can do that as well as hold the ball up, but we'll never get another Kane so having someone who has the movement etc would be the key thing I think we need in a back-up CF, rather than a hold-up CF

That’s the exact opposite of how he played in and for Holland

He was a true 9, not a hold up player

That’s the exact opposite of how he played in and for Holland

He was a true 9, not a hold up player

I can't say that I've watched much Dutch football so will take your word for it....but maybe that says more about defences in the Dutch league than Janssen?!?

I can't say that I've watched much Dutch football so will take your word for it....but maybe that says more about defences in the Dutch league than Janssen?!?

I’d argue the opposite

Holding up against bigger and stronger defenders like we have is harder than the Dutch game

He also plays as 9 at international level

As Bedford has already said he is not just a hold up player ( although he is very good at that), he does make runs and its something that will improve the more he plays. I think its hard for a 21/22 aged player ( which i believe was his age when he came here) to settle into a much faster game then he was used to in Holland, but i still believe there is a very good player in him.

Back