• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

Just because hes old doesnt mean he's not a good signing. He's a good player, him coming on for Juve changed the game against us....

Or sometimes it's just a step too far. Nicola Berti for example was a tremendous player, but he just didn't have the legs left for moving to a fast-paced league like England at the age he did.

Remember Dembele, Alder and Rose are already starting to struggle with the intensity of our play, and they are 28-30 YO.

Nothing substantial was ever going to happen till after the WC. There will just be a mad 2 week window for everyone this year.

I had hoped moves for players not at the WC could have been done, but then I wonder if they will end up waiting anyway.

Say Martial - no reason we shouldnt get him, except that maybe HE is waiting out to see how the market goes, or UTD are not willing to sell until they get their target, who is at the Cup...

Except for the couple of teams who have already bought players, like the South London team from down the road.

"Couple" being the key word. There has been but a few moves in the market, none of any real substance, its not like we are getting left behind right now is it? Dont worry mate, relax, transferitis catches us all eventually - take a couple of asprin and have a lay down, youll be fine ;O)

Danny Rose no longer prime target for Manchester United as Jose Mourinho turns focus away from Spurs

by Matt Law, football news correspondent
12 JUNE 2018 • 10:30PM

Danny Rose is facing disappointment over his dream move to Manchester United after Jose Mourinho shelved plans to sign another full-back.

Tottenham Hotspur defender Rose had been hoping to clinch a £50 million switch to Old Trafford after the World Cup, which kicks off on Thursday.

Rose travelled out to Russia with the rest of the England squad on Tuesday, but will return to find out he may have to stay at Spurs.

It is understood United manager Mourinho has suspended a move for Rose after adding full-back Diogo Dalot to his list of options at left-back, behind Ashley Young and Luke Shaw.

The Portuguese has told vice chairman Ed Woodward not to pursue Rose at the moment and to focus his attention elsewhere, with a central defender a greater priority.

Interest in Rose could be revisited if Shaw leaves or if United fail in moves for other players, but the 27-year-old, who last season battled with depression, may have to get used to the idea of starting next season with Tottenham.

Everton have shown an interest in Rose, but it would be a surprise if the Goodison Park club matched Tottenham’s £55m valuation of the player. There have also been reports of Juventus and Borussia Dortmund looking at the player.

Keeping Rose for another season would solve a potential problem for Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino, following Fulham’s promotion to the Premier League.

Tottenham had been confident of replacing Rose with Fulham’s Ryan Sessegnon if the Cottagers remained in the Championship, but the 18-year-old is now expected to stay put for another year.

Rose and Pochettino patched up their differences after the former Leeds United youngster expressed a desire to leave Tottenham last summer. He has a contract that runs to 2021.

Southgate is expected to start with Rose, ahead of Young, in England’s first World Cup game against Tunisia next week and a good tournament could spark interest from elsewhere.

Clearly just filler. Or Mourinho doing Mourinho things, because he is a clam like that. I wouldnt be against him briefing this kind of thing.

The article forgets Dalot is a RB (I think!) and Shaw is persona non grata.

Just because hes old doesnt mean he's not a good signing. He's a good player, him coming on for Juve changed the game against us....
I agree he was a good player, I said similar in the Goon thread... But I don’t think he really improves them much (at his age) and certainly don’t think it’s a transfer we should be jealous of and highlighting as how things should be done at this stage of the transfer market!?!

I agree he was a good player, I said similar in the Goon thread... But I don’t think he really improves them much (at his age) and certainly don’t think it’s a transfer we should be jealous of and highlighting as how things should be done at this stage of the transfer market!?!
Well I think he improves them defensively, but the rest of your post I agree with....

Well I think he improves them defensively, but the rest of your post I agree with....

Im in two minds. If he is a Naybet type, then yes - big improvement for the short term.

However, adjusting to this league at his age? Well thats a massive "IF" for me, who is to say if he will or wont? But the odds have to lean more toward "wont"... IMO

Real shame, seems theres too much smoke without fire for this not to be true....

Im actually kind of happy for him.

I think the EPL takes its toll on him, his injury record is testament to that, and I think Italy (particularly the Milan clubs) are excellent at nurturing older players.

He might have a year or two top level over here, over there could be four or five.

I think the EPL takes its toll on him, his injury record is testament to that, and I think Italy (particularly the Milan clubs) are excellent at nurturing older players.

He might have a year or two top level over here, over there could be four or five.
Yeah I agree its a good move for him, I meant its a shame from a personal POV. Hes one of my favourite players to watch when on form, the way he dominates the centre of the pitch consistently is nothing Ive seen before from a Spurs player (Im sure there are older fans who can say different, but Ive been bought up from the likes of Gross, Graham teams etc).
But yes, Im sure Ill enjoy see him doing well for one of the Italian teams - he's earnt a rest of sorts by going to a less intense league.....

Im in two minds. If he is a Naybet type, then yes - big improvement for the short term.

However, adjusting to this league at his age? Well thats a massive "IF" for me, who is to say if he will or wont? But the odds have to lean more toward "wont"... IMO

That's my thoughts too.

It's the thing Alan Mullery talked about the other day that Bill Nich was so good at - knowing exactly when it was time to let a waning stalwart go.

We might get a dozen brilliant games out of him, another dozen he'll coast through, and many that his hip will keep him out of. It suits all parties to let him go to a slower-paced league and for us to have a first choice CM who will play 40-50 games.

Yeah I agree its a good move for him, I meant its a shame from a personal POV. Hes one of my favourite players to watch when on form, the way he dominates the centre of the pitch consistently is nothing Ive seen before from a Spurs player (Im sure there are older fans who can say different, but Ive been bought up from the likes of Gross, Graham teams etc).
But yes, Im sure Ill enjoy see him doing well for one of the Italian teams - he's earnt a rest of sorts by going to a less intense league.....

Im fairly happy about it, to be honest.

Id rather see him leave and succeed than stay and slowly fade out, as much as I enjoy watching him here.

And, honestly, I think its inevitable we will need to replace him - and from a Spurs POV I think now is the time. If we keep him from here on I suspect he will be less and less reliable, which could cost us.

Shouldn't be getting rid of Dembele if its true, its no loss If we don't get much money for him. We should rotate him more next season if we brought in a similar level player. I think we will find it hard to replace him that's for sure.

We need to feel confident that when we rotate we don't get weaker. Eg when we rotate Trippier with Aurier we are weakened. Demele with Winks, we are weakened.

Back