• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Summer 2018 transfer thread

I would be really careful about going for a bargain here as I am sure this will be appealed and drag on for ages in courts... depending upon the outcome could still be left paying a heafty fee for a player we didn't really want but just got for the freebie.

Considering the one month time frame etc - seems to me like its pretty cut and dried.

The club seem to be a real mess right now, I dont know how competently they could appeal - and thats if they actually can/have a basis to do so.

Ultimately this is an employment situation, there are fairly straightforward laws arent they?

Can you imagine being assaulted in your work place, and your company raising a law suit against your decision to leave?

I would be really careful about going for a bargain here as I am sure this will be appealed and drag on for ages in courts... depending upon the outcome could still be left paying a heafty fee for a player we didn't really want but just got for the freebie.
Well wasnt Carvalho being quoted at around 40m not long ago? Even if had to pay, Im sure it wouldnt be anywhere near market value....

Considering the one month time frame etc - seems to me like its pretty cut and dried.

The club seem to be a real mess right now, I dont know how competently they could appeal - and thats if they actually can/have a basis to do so.

Ultimately this is an employment situation, there are fairly straightforward laws arent they?

Can you imagine being assaulted in your work place, and your company raising a law suit against your decision to leave?
Most people can leave their workplace when ever they want regardless of whether they are assaulted - Footballers are already a special case in employment law.

A contract is a contract, entered into by both parties with rights and obligations on each side. I would not be surprised if it was much simpler than you anticipate.

As I said, the club will have a duty of care for the player. In allowing a 50 strong mob to break into the training ground and assault the players, that duty of care has been broken. The club has (by negligence, most likely) allowed physical and emotional harm/distress upon the players when they are supposed to care for them.

Its not that complicated really, is it?

The players appear to have the right to terminate the contract based upon this, and have acted upon it. As I said, I doubt they did this without having their own legal teams confirm its validity.

And, as is currently reported, there is no sign of recourse from the club. Not "Sporting to face fight to keep players", rather, "the club is a mess and this is what the players are doing"

Waste of time leaving him at Ajax for one more year to develop. Poor poor league

Its not that poor ( have a look at some of the players who we already have from there), we may yet keep Toby and IF that is the case he may not get that many games anyway. Toby, Jan, Sanchez and its obvious Poch rates Foyth so that is already four CB's for two/three positions.

Had a little scan around, and not one single thing I can find even mentions Sporting being able to fight or appeal the players leaving. Could be yet to unfold, but I find it odd that there is no sign of it at all. As its reported its a cut and dried situation.

The keeper (and captain) handed his in 2 weeks ago, no mention of them coming back at him.

A contract is a contract, entered into by both parties with rights and obligations on each side. I would not be surprised if it was much simpler than you anticipate.

As I said, the club will have a duty of care for the player. In allowing a 50 strong mob to break into the training ground and assault the players, that duty of care has been broken. The club has (by negligence, most likely) allowed physical and emotional harm/distress upon the players when they are supposed to care for them.

Its not that complicated really, is it?

The players appear to have the right to terminate the contract based upon this, and have acted upon it. As I said, I doubt they did this without having their own legal teams confirm its validity.

And, as is currently reported, there is no sign of recourse from the club. Not "Sporting to face fight to keep players", rather, "the club is a mess and this is what the players are doing"

"As I said, the club will have a duty of care for the player. In allowing a 50 strong mob to break into the training ground and assault the players, that duty of care has been broken. The club has (by negligence, most likely) allowed physical and emotional harm/distress upon the players when they are supposed to care for them."

this bit is the bit that there will be contention around I imagine would have to be proved in order for the termination to be valid. I am sure their legal team confirm the validity we will see but I predict the club to refuse / appeal and this would have been based on their own legal teams we will see in due course.

I will be very surprised if the players are allowed to terminate their contract without a fee going to Sporting.

Cant see many cases of players being able to unilaterally end their contracts so I am guessing this is a test case that will be used as precedent.

Last edited:
Well wasnt Carvalho being quoted at around 40m not long ago? Even if had to pay, Im sure it wouldnt be anywhere near market value....

He's kind of become this decade's Miguel Veloso or Massimo Maccarone though - devastating at international youth level/initial breakthrough, but then gone south very quickly.

"As I said, the club will have a duty of care for the player. In allowing a 50 strong mob to break into the training ground and assault the players, that duty of care has been broken. The club has (by negligence, most likely) allowed physical and emotional harm/distress upon the players when they are supposed to care for them."

this bit is the bit that there will be contention around I imagine would have to be proved in order for the termination to be valid. I am sure their legal team confirm the validity we will see but I predict the club to refuse / appeal and this would have been based on their own legal teams we will see in due course.

I will be very surprised if the players are allowed to terminate their contract without a fee going to Sporting.

Time will tell. Given this falls (Im guessing) under employment law I suspect it will be quite cut and dried.

Im not sure intent needs to be proven on Sportings part, simply the fact it happened will be enough.

The chairman hasnt helped by being a complete psycho as well, there is a catalogue of flimflam supporting the players "mentally distressed" side of the argument - without the obvious physical danger as well.

Clearly Im no expert, but I dont really see the club have a leg to stand on - and as I said Im yet to see a single mention of the club reacting/responding/appealing - seems very cut and dried.

Clearly Im no expert, but I dont really see the club have a leg to stand on - and as I said Im yet to see a single mention of the club reacting/responding/appealing - seems very cut and dried.
you right I hope to quote this in 1 month and "I told you so" ;) - I am no expert either but will be very surprised if it ends there - especially with the access the Italian teams give their Ultras and the threats they have historically made to players.

He's kind of become this decade's Miguel Veloso or Massimo Maccarone though - devastating at international youth level/initial breakthrough, but then gone south very quickly.
He was just an example, admittedly I know nothing about their players but Im assuming there are some technically gifted players who could be potentially available on the cheap....

Its not that poor ( have a look at some of the players who we already have from there), we may yet keep Toby and IF that is the case he may not get that many games anyway. Toby, Jan, Sanchez and its obvious Poch rates Foyth so that is already four CB's for two/three positions.

It is possible to have a generally poor standard league but for there to be a sprinkling of good players too. I'm not questioning DeLigt or the players we have signed from Holland. I simply disagreed with the point that if he stayed there one more year he could somehow develop further.

Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord are nowhere near the forces they used to be. The conveyor belt of talent no longer exists, those teams no longer do well in European competitions, and all this reflects badly on the league itself.

Of course if Toby signs a new deal and stays then there is no urgency to being in DeLigt now. Actually I doubt we will even attempt to sign him if Toby extends his contract.

BREAKING NEWS

Cardiff have confirmed the signing of Josh Murphy from Norwich.

The 23-year-old has joined the Premier League club for an undisclosed fee.

His has signed a deal until the summer of 2022.

Surprised at this one, thought he could do better to be honest.

The keeper (and captain) handed his in 2 weeks ago, no mention of them coming back at him.

If the club feel hard done by then usual convention in the Iberian peninsular is to wait ages before doing anything. Partly to be annoying and also to show how relaxed you are (doing nothing is how you show strength).

If they prove they've upgraded security I don't see how the players can say there's no duty of care, surely 50 fans attacking on the training ground is unexpected?

However, I wouldn't put it past levy to offer 15m euros for each of them and then sell them on at a profit :)

If the club feel hard done by then usual convention in the Iberian peninsular is to wait ages before doing anything. Partly to be annoying and also to show how relaxed you are (doing nothing is how you show strength).

If the club prove they've upgraded security I don't see how the players can complain, surely 50 fans attacking on the training ground is unexpected?

However, I wouldn't put it past levy to offer 15m euros for each of them and then sell them on :)

I dont think bumping security is enough, it simply shouldnt have been able to happen in the first place.

Aside from the lack of physical security, there has been an ongoing campaign from the chairman adding undue stress etc as well.

The damage has already been done, and as I say this falls more into employment law (human rights type stuff?) than simple contract dispute.

It is possible to have a generally poor standard league but for there to be a sprinkling of good players too. I'm not questioning DeLigt or the players we have signed from Holland. I simply disagreed with the point that if he stayed there one more year he could somehow develop further.

Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord are nowhere near the forces they used to be. The conveyor belt of talent no longer exists, those teams no longer do well in European competitions, and all this reflects badly on the league itself.

Of course if Toby signs a new deal and stays then there is no urgency to being in DeLigt now. Actually I doubt we will even attempt to sign him if Toby extends his contract.

I agree with most of that especially about them being a force in European football, however there is still a conveyor belt of talent to be found in the Dutch league ( maybe not as many as there once was). And imo he would progress by playing ( if he stays for a year) then he would sitting on our bench and alternating with Foyth, Jan, Toby, Sanchez.

But we shall see.

I dont think bumping security is enough, it simply shouldnt have been able to happen in the first place.

I know more about Spain really, where there's very little security at "open" training sessions in general.

However, that's a good point that the club have shown neglect / undue consideration in general.

Just thinking if some idiots did that to Spurs I would be pretty tinkled off if the players left!

Back