• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Successful campaign

Mumorn

Vic Buckingham
We reached the highest point tally in the clubs history when it comes to the Premier League.

We got more wins and points away from home this season than we have in any previous Premier League season.

We beat Manchester United at Old Trafford for the first time in Premier League history.

We became a team that were tricky to beat, scoring numerous goals late in games to either earn a point or all three points.

We did this without one of the best centre halves of his generation in Ledley King, and our creative duo of van der Vaart and Modric, all of which left the club in the summer. We also did it without the form of Adebayor which helped us gratefully last year topping our goalscoring and assist charts last season.

--

Next season we'll go into the campaign with one of the best goalkeepers in the world in Hugo Lloris, one of the best centre backs in the league in Jan Vertonghen, we will have one of the best footballers in the world in Gareth Bale in attack, we'll have Sandro beasting in the centre of the field, I have no doubt we'll also see some Kaboul too, the passion and heart of Michael Dawson, as well as some new faces who will hopefully help us move forward and try and better this season.

We've said it numerous times in the past but I feel like it's REALLY true when I say it this time. The future is bright!

We need a striker, and a central midfielder capable of playing the sorts of passes Cazorla and Mata pulled off without so much as thinking about them this season.

The difference in creative ability cost us, and yet we finished only one point behind Arsenal and three behind Chelsea, hanging on to their coat-tails all the way like some grimly determined street urchin.

With the returning Townsend, we will have cover on the wings. With the imminent return from injury of Kaboul and Dembele, we will have a solid midfield and (hopefully) a more mobile and effective defensive than we did at times this season.

A striker and a creative midfielder. Get on it, Levy: two players are all that are keeping us from finally smashing down the gate keeping us from the rich boys' club.

2 losses in 22 games, not bad form too.

The best second half of a season that we have had in a LONG time, I think. We were pipped to the post by an Arsenal team who have been on incredible form lately and had to be to stay above us.

True, the end of the season is frustrating to have missed out on top 4 but let that not fool us in to thinking that we've had a poor season.

Now for the team to enjoy a summer off, her physically fit, with a few new players added to the mix and then lets push on from here!! No reason why we can't push for a place in the top 3, rather than the top 4 and make it count!!

Martin Jol's Fulham fcuked us up ....karma Levy, karma :)

the future is bright, with or without the flying Welshman

if any game cost us, it was the 5-2 arsenal game which we looked like we would win before going down to 10, a +6 swing potentially. Still that's bye the bye now, onwards and upwards.

Thing is, we could have beaten Arsenal there and fudged up elsewhere. We can't worry about the past, it's happened, just push on and do all that we can as a side to improve.

Depends on perception I guess. Personally I'm satisfied with how the season went, I voted top 6 with a good cup run in the poll at the start of the season. The club's and the players' goal however, was CL qualification. That way we have "failed". Our point tally doesn't matter except for statistical use. Beating Man Utd was magnificent.

I for one does not see 4th as an all out aim, but the harsh reality is that the top players want to play in the Champions' League, and not participating in said tournament hampers our ability to attract and hold on to the best player material. We can bitch and whine (and rightly so) about oil billionaires spending out their arse leaving the others feeding off the scraps, but that's reality and nothing we can do anything about.

What we can do however, is preparing our squad, doing our homework before the transfer windows to maximize our chances of reaching our goals. Assembling a squad of hungry players wanting to win every game, not relying upon journeymen and mercenaries performing whenever it suits them. Identify weak areas, making targeted replacements. Having backups for positions, I'd rather have motivation and mentality before extreme ability. Go after skillsets and types, not names or statistics, or even YouTube clips (shudder). Build the mindset of winners, not players shutting off after getting an early goal thinking about the Ferrari ride home. Players with "to the limit", not "sufficient".

We have done a good job so far, but there's still a journey ahead. Actually doing preparations before the transfer window opens would be a good start.

I believe it's been more of a success than a failed season. Credit must go to AVB who obviously wants to succeed with us with a passion. Onwards and upwards....

Definitely feel less gutted than after the CL final last year.

hope AVB drills into everyone, chairman and players, that we have to go for the title next season...if we aim as high as possible, we might just get close and it will be enough to finish in the top 4

If the season had have started on the 1st of September we would have finished 4th ahead of chelsea!
We need to have transfer business done before the start of next season.
Only 4 of the players that started the first game of the season started for us today.

We have spent more than arsenal for 5 consecutive seasons but our improved squad has just about met their average squad. Hopefully they will get rid of wenger, arsenal fans are dumb anyways

Am I right in saying we lost ONE game in the league all season when Dembele was on the pitch (Liverpool away) ?

This team has been learning how to win games over the course of the season. We had a stronger second half of the season, despite missing some key players.

Our record after the disastrous defeats v Liverpool and Fulham... Won 5 drew 3. Strong way to end the season.

I would have predicted we'd easily have qualified if someone offered me tat after the Fulham game. Unreal.

Freak season.

Just been unfortunate to my mind. You have to credit Arsenal and Chelsea for differing reasons on how they have finished the season really and just say that we didn't quite have enough to get over the line in the end which is no disgrace. We have been very consistent generally in terms of league finishes since 2006 aside from an 11th and 8th place finish which saw two cup finals in those seasons too.

Three or Four good signings and early in the window will do wonders. It would be fantastic to have most of our signings in the squad and bedding in during a pre season tour wherever it may be. Add into that Sandro and Kaboul coming back and we can really push. I don't care what signings Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and City make - they will have their own problems and we can take advantage if we all stick together.

Last edited:
Back