• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Squad

Don't care.
We are getting players to fit our system, and I would rather than than a 'better player' who doesn't.

They can keep under estimating us for as long as possible

Liverpool (got some great signings this window). Arsenal and city have better squads.

Utd on paper should have. (Played on grass though).

Other than that? Dunno.
Even on paper i think Regullion is United's best player. Maybe tied with Casimero anyway

Liverpool (got some great signings this window). Arsenal and city have better squads.

Utd on paper should have. (Played on grass though).

Other than that? Dunno.
Liverpools signings were a mess imo
They didn’t get the dM they needed and spent more on the players they weren’t sure about than they could have spent ti get Bellingham. I really rate Szoblosai. Wanted him here
They have t signed poor players but haven’t signed the ones that fix their Achilles heel imo
And they still need to replace VVD

Liverpools signings were a mess imo
They didn’t get the dM they needed and spent more on the players they weren’t sure about than they could have spent ti get Bellingham. I really rate Szoblosai. Wanted him here
They have t signed poor players but haven’t signed the ones that fix their Achilles heel imo
And they still need to replace VVD

Szoblosai, mac allister and gravenberch are 3 quality signings and an upgrade on the likes of milner and henderson.

Szoblosai, mac allister and gravenberch are 3 quality signings and an upgrade on the likes of milner and henderson.
I don’t rate gravenbach myself
Will be interesting to see how he plays in a tougher league and if I’m wrong
Macalkister is good, just not as good as the hype
Szoboslai is class but they are okaying him in midfield which isn’t a great fit for him once the volume of games kicks in
But none of them give them a base to play off and all are more creative
They have gone full reverse on what they had and it’s why they conceding goals and plenty of opportunities. Wolves should have been out of sight at half time

I don’t rate gravenbach myself
Will be interesting to see how he plays in a tougher league and if I’m wrong
Macalkister is good, just not as good as the hype
Szoboslai is class but they are okaying him in midfield which isn’t a great fit for him once the volume of games kicks in
But none of them give them a base to play off and all are more creative
They have gone full reverse on what they had and it’s why they conceding goals and plenty of opportunities. Wolves should have been out of sight at half time

The question was which teams had a better squad than us? Are you saying our squad is better than liverpools?

The question was which teams had a better squad than us? Are you saying our squad is better than liverpools?
I think we have a more balanced team and possibly squad
They don’t have any quality dms and their cbs seem shot
They are still relaying on trent for creativity so who is back up there?
But you can’t judge us or them after 5 games. It’s stupid
Just seen their line up and bench vs wolves
Using Trent and VVD
It doesn’t look great to me

Ok rethinking this…
Has there been a better keeper than vicario this season so far? Not imo
There isn’t a Jeff back near to being as good as Ndogie
Our CBS have been outstanding
Maddison won POTM so by that recognition has been the best player in the division
And Bissouma has been the best in his role in the league imo

But it’s very very early days and things will change

Too much thought put into individual players. What we're watching so far this season is a team, stronger than the sum of its parts. That's where football teams become successful, similar to Arsenal last season.
It's what made the Poch era work and I always said it's why us as fans didn't quite appreciate what was happening at the time. We never had the BEST players , but we had players who fitted together well and made the totaled sum greater than the individual parts.

This team is feeling similar although I think actually with some higher quality players. We have so many players who are truly comfortable on the ball it's actually confusing. Where are all the poor first touches and then second and third touches to finally get the ball under control? [emoji28]

The creativity is spread more because of course we have Maddison, but Sarr is also a passer and plays line breaking passes fairly regularly, Bissouma has good range and execution. Romero is a great passer, VDV can play too and not forgetting Udogie who in any situation so far has always had complete mastery of the ball.

It's feels like a strange place to be, the base level of technical ability is the highest I've ever seen at Spurs.

But it's still about how well they are meshing. The individual attributes of the three midfielders match so well. For once they actually complement each other, rather than duplicating the same weaknesses (looking at Sissoko and Winks[emoji35]), what one lacks the others have.

For years we've played midfields that all lacked passing ability, or press resistance or creativity, or defensive positioning. If you think of a spider graph and plotted the three midfielders attributes every part would be covered, I don't think we've ever had that before. Even when we played the Modric, Huddlestone and Van De Vaart trio.

Early days but the squad is starting to finally make sense. When we bring on subs they actually offer something different while still fitting into the greater picture. Absolutely excellent squad building over the last few windows by Paratici/Ange and even Levy for finally buying into the model and supporting it.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

It's what made the Poch era work and I always said it's why us as fans didn't quite appreciate what was happening at the time. We never had the BEST players , but we had players who fitted together well and made the totaled sum greater than the individual parts.

This team is feeling similar although I think actually with some higher quality players. We have so many players who are truly comfortable on the ball it's actually confusing. Where are all the poor first touches and then second and third touches to finally get the ball under control? [emoji28]

The creativity is spread more because of course we have Maddison, but Sarr is also a passer and plays line breaking passes fairly regularly, Bissouma has good range and execution. Romero is a great passer, VDV can play too and not forgetting Udogie who in any situation so far has always had complete mastery of the ball.

It's feels like a strange place to be, the base level of technical ability is the highest I've ever seen at Spurs.

But it's still about how well they are meshing. The individual attributes of the three midfielders match so well. For once they actually complement each other, rather than duplicating the same weaknesses (looking at Sissoko and Winks[emoji35]), what one lacks the others have.

For years we've played midfields that all lacked passing ability, or press resistance or creativity, or defensive positioning. If you think of a spider graph and plotted the three midfielders attributes every part would be covered, I don't think we've ever had that before. Even when we played the Modric, Huddlestone and Van De Vaart trio.

Early days but the squad is starting to finally make sense. When we bring on subs they actually offer something different while still fitting into the greater picture. Absolutely excellent squad building over the last few windows by Paratici/Ange and even Levy for finally buying into the model and supporting it.

We did have great players under Poch
Just that none had reached their potential

Talks about the value of adding press resistant players to the team

Does the term mean players who don't get tackled a lot? It's a funny new fangled term, ball retention is more important to some game plans but I don't think any club was actively on the look out for players who would regularly give the ball away.

Does the term mean players who don't get tackled a lot? It's a funny new fangled term, ball retention is more important to some game plans but I don't think any club was actively on the look out for players who would regularly give the ball away.

Yes, in a way.
Bissouma is a great example of a press resistant player. He can take take ball while having one or more opposing players in close proximity to him and still be able to find a pass or turn the player.

Is is about players being able to play in a smaller space

Yes, in a way.
Bissouma is a great example of a press resistant player. He can take take ball while having one or more opposing players in close proximity to him and still be able to find a pass or turn the player.

Is is about players being able to play in a smaller space

Team mates creating options helps aswell. Creating space to receive a pass.

Its become more common in football fan vocabulary but its not a new thing. The best midfielders have always been more press resistant, they've tended to be the higher quality players and they've always tended to play in midfield as its a great attribute to have in that space.

I wouldn't say teams were looking for non press resistant players its just now rather than just looking at a player and getting a feeling for their quality in possession we now have a searchable stat that can you infer this quality from. Its passed into the football parlance and so you see more mention of it, but its something thats always been noticed.

Its become more common in football fan vocabulary but its not a new thing. The best midfielders have always been more press resistant, they've tended to be the higher quality players and they've always tended to play in midfield as its a great attribute to have in that space.

I wouldn't say teams were looking for non press resistant players its just now rather than just looking at a player and getting a feeling for their quality in possession we now have a searchable stat that can you infer this quality from. Its passed into the football parlance and so you see more mention of it, but its something thats always been noticed.

The explanation makes sense, it's just a bit of a hipster-y term imo, always got to come up with new words to describe age old concepts, languages gotta language I suppose.

What's the searchable stat to qualify how press resistant a player is you mentioned, ball retention?

Not sure the passing backwards goes against being press resistant @billyiddo - not if it goes to one of your players at least but yes, always hoofing it or getting dispossessed aren't good for game plans, however we choose to label it....

The explanation makes sense, it's just a bit of a hipster-y term imo, always got to come up with new words to describe age old concepts, languages gotta language I suppose.

What's the searchable stat to qualify how press resistant a player is you mentioned, ball retention?

Not sure the passing backwards goes against being press resistant @billyiddo - not if it goes to one of your players at least but yes, always hoofing it or getting dispossessed aren't good for game plans, however we choose to label it....
Passing backwards is not being press resistant, it is being scared and bullied and shifting the problem backwards onto someone else. Being press resistant is not panicking, not passing the buck backwards, but turning your man and moving forwards or playing a progressive pass or generally doing something beneficial.

I'm not sure if it's a single stat tbh, I think a combination of few. I can't recall their names exactly and I don't have access to the higher gain statistical info other than what sometimes gets released.

One of them is something like % of times the ball after a player has possession it stays with their team in combination with more obvious stats like tackles evaded, pressures evaded, distance travelled under pressure, progressive carries and miscontrols along with I'm sure some others I haven't seen. The idea is probably to look at how a player who fits your templates scores in those categories and then search the database for other players who also rank highly in your selected categories. Essential creating a profile of a player type that fits attributes wise.

Markstats on twitter sometimes has them when he makes his statistical comparisons but it's not a regular thing. You kind have to wait until someone who has access decides to create a chart comparing these factors.

Back