• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Spurs vs. Aston Villa - ratings..

I'm still not sure about AVB's subs, I think he got a little lucky yesterday. When the game is in the balance, you make subs to change the flow/shape of the game, at 0-1 Villa were on top and were looking at least semi-threatening, Lennon for Sigurdsson doesn't alleviate any of that pressure, it's a bit of a nothing sub and he seems to have a habit of these, fortunately we then scored somewhat against the run of play so we got away with it but he then makes the sub(Dembele for Holtby) which was the one we really needed at 0-1. Yes it didn't cost us but it doesn't mean it won't in the future, he also leaves making changes until quite late a lot of the time, especially in games where we're chasing a goal.

Don't really understand the low ratings that Holtby is getting, thought he played well.

I think he is the sort of player they you really notice when he is not there because he is constantly putting opponents under-pressure and generally making life difficult but it isn't immediately noticeable that he is doing anything. Great pass to Paulinho for Soldado's goal as well.

Outstanding: Townsend, Sandro

Above par: Vertonghen, Dawson, Paulinho, Soldado

Par: Lloris, Chiriches, Walker

Below par: Holtby, Siggy

Bad: n/a

Lennon & Dembele both excellent as subs.

I thought Verts was a bit casual yesterday with his passing. AVB did right keeping Holtby on but I woulda subbed him.

Dembele is a powerful man. I loved him taking the ball off Benteke and I suspect he loved it too being a fellow Dutchman.

Last edited:
Don't be alarmed, It's the sign of Spurs becoming a big team, fans want more, coach wants more, the boss wants more, WELCOME TO THE BIG LEAGUE ! PRESSURE PRESSURE AND MORE PRESSURE ! Like Mourinho had in his 1st Real Madrid game finished a draw away at Mallorca, everybody asking him how did this happen and he was shocked, what we drew away from home what is the problem? Later he found out that a run of at least 10 wins in a row with 2 goals margin is required before getting a draw at a big club !
Great post!

Don't really understand the low ratings that Holtby is getting, thought he played well.

I think he is the sort of player they you really notice when he is not there because he is constantly putting opponents under-pressure and generally making life difficult but it isn't immediately noticeable that he is doing anything. Great pass to Paulinho for Soldado's goal as well.

Gary Neville called it right. He said we needed more movement from him and Soldado. They got there in the end but it was not working early on.

I'm still not sure about AVB's subs, I think he got a little lucky yesterday. When the game is in the balance, you make subs to change the flow/shape of the game, at 0-1 Villa were on top and were looking at least semi-threatening, Lennon for Sigurdsson doesn't alleviate any of that pressure, it's a bit of a nothing sub and he seems to have a habit of these, fortunately we then scored somewhat against the run of play so we got away with it but he then makes the sub(Dembele for Holtby) which was the one we really needed at 0-1. Yes it didn't cost us but it doesn't mean it won't in the future, he also leaves making changes until quite late a lot of the time, especially in games where we're chasing a goal.

I disagree. Benteke needs service and Lennon on the left kept their full back honest and our left protected.

I was paraphrasing and using his logic that if you are critical and want more than 5th, you can't be a real fan. [ paraphrasing again ]

His original point about me not being a real fan was silly, I was replying in kind.

I asked you earlier:
Colin, what is your best Spurs memory?
Tell us about your favourite Spurs player.
They are not trick questions.

Also foxed the keeper for Townsend's fluked goal by dummying under the cross. He'd obviously already calculated it was goal-bound and didn't need a touch.

Clever lad!

I disagree. Benteke needs service and Lennon on the left kept their full back honest and our left protected.

I agree with you. AVB made the substitutions I wanted. Siggy was fairly anonymous. Moussa added a bit of steel to our midfield and Azza kept them pinned back.

Just to let you know, I remember from a good fe years back my dad would ALWAYS watch corrie. Colin Fishwick is the name some character used as a fake name to help him gain jobs etc.

Wouldn't that be a good name for a WUM/ troll to use? Someone who's not who they make out to be.

Give this colin fishwick a "woolwich wanderer" tag or at least a "troll" or "potential wum" tag next to his name and we'll just ignore him from now on!

Funny how he has nothing better to do with his life other than sit around trying to wind up people.

(to the tune of "oh teddy teddy"
"Ohhhhhhh Colin Fishwick! The girls won't go near him and he has no mates.:lol:

I agree with you. AVB made the substitutions I wanted. Siggy was fairly anonymous. Moussa added a bit of steel to our midfield and Azza kept them pinned back.

I agree too. Lennon adds a lot more defensively than Siggy and his pace also constitutes a threat to a side pushing for an equalizer.

Just to let you know, I remember from a good fe years back my dad would ALWAYS watch corrie. Colin Fishwick is the name some character used as a fake name to help him gain jobs etc.

Wouldn't that be a good name for a WUM/ troll to use? Someone who's not who they make out to be.

Give this colin fishwick a "woolwich wanderer" tag or at least a "troll" or "potential wum" tag next to his name and we'll just ignore him from now on!

Funny how he has nothing better to do with his life other than sit around trying to wind up people.

(to the tune of "oh teddy teddy"
"Ohhhhhhh Colin Fishwick! The girls won't go near him and he has no mates.:lol:

I thought this some time back, however I didnt have the bottle to admit I watched Corrie on here. Maybe I should have gone for the 'my dad' watched it line too....

But Villa did nothing except

a) make sure Soldado was isolated from supporting midfield runners as much as possible and
b) crunch the space between the halfway line and edge of their own box, forcing us to use players like Dawson as a quick back-to-front outlet, which is never ever going to work.

It required patience and concentration today, for players to keep working hard until a crack appeared. It did. We made it happen. Sides such as Emirates Marketing Project are not going to play like this. I am delighted we have found a way to beat sides who do this to us (forgetting the abberition which was WHU at home)...
That's exactly why Villa did a very good job and was hanging on to that 0-0 with no obvious threat. I don't know if you saw the game but in the 1st half we did not have any major chances and the goal was scored out of accident really... The matches against Emirates Marketing Project and other teams like that are 1 every 5 games, I agree they will not play the same as villa aaand let's say west ham, and that an AM is needed to play against bigger teams. But when you play the likes of villa and west ham you need a CF behind the ST to put more pressure on the other's team goal. We need another goal scorer on the field, it is simply bothering when you play a relegation team and "fans here say 2-0 win for us, 2 goals soldado". Yes 2 goals Soldado because we do not have anyone else who can score regularly, ok others MIGHT score, wingers or the assist minded AM we have but that is just might... If Soldado has a bad day, we will not score many against weaker teams, look at our Goals scored column in the PL it is not that impressive, we are tied with Cardiff City...

That's exactly why Villa did a very good job and was hanging on to that 0-0 with no obvious threat. I don't know if you saw the game but in the 1st half we did not have any major chances and the goal was scored out of accident really... The matches against Emirates Marketing Project and other teams like that are 1 every 5 games, I agree they will not play the same as villa aaand let's say west ham, and that an AM is needed to play against bigger teams. But when you play the likes of villa and west ham you need a CF behind the ST to put more pressure on the other's team goal. We need another goal scorer on the field, it is simply bothering when you play a relegation team and "fans here say 2-0 win for us, 2 goals soldado". Yes 2 goals Soldado because we do not have anyone else who can score regularly, ok others MIGHT score, wingers or the assist minded AM we have but that is just might... If Soldado has a bad day, we will not score many against weaker teams, look at our Goals scored column in the PL it is not that impressive, we are tied with Cardiff City...

First off, I'd think by my observations it was obvious I watched the match.

Secondly, yes, correct, and that's why i think Erikson will shine a little brighter in games against more attacking sides who do not devise ways to stifle our play.

Thirdly, I think you will see Adebayor come into the side in some of these types of games precisely because he can be a supporting striker and drop off into wide positions.I actually think the movement between Ade and Soldado could be an excellent option...

Spurs have had the least number of offsides against us in the Premier League this season - just 8, mainly against West Ham.

And Spurs & Emirates Marketing Project share the most possession this season.

disagree with that.

firstly Lennon works harder and tracks back a lot better than Sig

secondly, the oppo know Lennons pace will kill them on the counter attack if their attack breaks down, meaning they will commit slightly less going forwards (ie not push up quite so high or leave an extra man back) - so it has a "defend from the front" impact on the game

you could throw on a defender - but you then risk the ball just constantly being in and around our areas and the oppo camped in our half. this is more likely to allow them to force a goal.

Back