• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

**** Sporting Clube de Portugal v Tottenham Hotspur FC ****

It can be. If the stronger team. Attacking forces the opposition to retreat and sit deeper.

Which in itself makes me question whether Conte uses these non direct tactics in part to open up the opponents, get them to go forward and not ‘park the bus’.

the best form of attack being defence

It can be. If the stronger team. Attacking forces the opposition to retreat and sit deeper.

Which in itself makes me question whether Conte uses these non direct tactics in part to open up the opponents, get them to go forward and not ‘park the bus’.

Almost certainly imo.

And also sit back a bit, defend, knowing that when on our game we're a really good counter attacking team.

If only this were true! Kulu prob will but not sure re Spence unfortunately.

Agreed. Wouldn't be shocked if Conte left out Kulusevski again to be honest, but I really hope he does start.

Would be surprised to see Doherty or Spence thrown in, but would definitely like it if it happens.

They scored off a corner kick and a piece of individual brilliance from Arthur. And their other big chance also cam from a piece of individual brilliance by Edwards. Other than that, they did nothing. Which is where our strength is: not allowing teams to create any decent chances. People seem to forget that and focus only on the fact we don't play razzle dazzle offensive football. Fair enough, but we create more quality chances than our opponents and limit them to peanuts, for the most part. Which is how you win games. You're not going to win all of them and there will be the occasional one, like tonight, where the other team gets the rub of the green. It's a long season and, if we continue to do what we are doing, we will end up much higher than last year. It's not pleasing on the eyes, but it is effective. This was a one-off.

no doubt. to be honest i had very mixed feelings about that game.

we matched them pretty much overall - while they played better football we denied them chances. we did get more chances in the later game too.

then i remember this is sporting lisbon, conte's assistant, a recently assembled small budget team. and we I cannot remember a single piece of razzle dazzle against them.

lets hope its a one-off.

They scored off a corner kick and a piece of individual brilliance from Arthur. And their other big chance also cam from a piece of individual brilliance by Edwards. Other than that, they did nothing. Which is where our strength is: not allowing teams to create any decent chances. People seem to forget that and focus only on the fact we don't play razzle dazzle offensive football. Fair enough, but we create more quality chances than our opponents and limit them to peanuts, for the most part. Which is how you win games. You're not going to win all of them and there will be the occasional one, like tonight, where the other team gets the rub of the green. It's a long season and, if we continue to do what we are doing, we will end up much higher than last year. It's not pleasing on the eyes, but it is effective. This was a one-off.

Very good post.

Personally, I think it's one of those cliches that doesn't stand up well to any scrutiny. The logic is "if we have the ball, they don't and can't score". It's flawed because you will never have the ball for the entire game and by attacking, you leave yourself open to some degree. We've had a lot of attacking teams and they've been largely poor defensively.

I've been supporting this club for 40 years and I think, system-wise, we're more solid now than I've ever seen us. Poch's team rivalled Conte's but that had as much to do with personnel as the system.

Work in progress, and i would say one defeat in 17 is a good sign of it heading in the right direction. But of course fans will be fans and love to bitch. Because lets be honest fans always believe they can do a better job. :D
Of course one defeat in 17 is going in the right direction and we are a work in progress but you'd think with a proper preseason under this squad's belt they would be looking better than what they have shown so far?
Laboured performances in most games, Fulham being the big exception and the 2nd half v Saints. Got away with it big time v Chelsea, were comfortable v West Ham and yet could easily have lost it. The other games bar perhaps Forest could have gone either way, I just find it strange we're not as fluid as we were at the end of last season.
Not here to 'bitch' as you would call it, just want to see us performing much better. :p

Of course one defeat in 17 is going in the right direction and we are a work in progress but you'd think with a proper preseason under this squad's belt they would be looking better than what they have shown so far?
Laboured performances in most games, Fulham being the big exception and the 2nd half v Saints. Got away with it big time v Chelsea, were comfortable v West Ham and yet could easily have lost it. The other games bar perhaps Forest could have gone either way, I just find it strange we're not as fluid as we were at the end of last season.
Not here to 'bitch' as you would call it, just want to see us performing much better. :p
It’s a results business and that’s what Conte gets
He has never been about great football. He is all about effective football

Back