• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Son Heung-Min

but zero pace at all in attacking areas. Jamie Carragher made his first ever intelligent observation last night on SSN saying that lack of pace (aside from full backs) is likely a reason why we've dropped a lot of points away from home. Liverpool have less of a problem with that as they have Mane and he's the sort of player we need

As others have mentioned, Son is quick.

I wouldn't disagree that without Walker/Rose in side, there is considerably less physical pace in side. That said, we counter that two ways, Kane, Eriksen, Dele all have decent acceleration without being speed merchants, and when we are quick, it's because our passing is quick, the tempo of game is raised.

People always want some kind of reason to explain stuff, why did Spurs not win the title? nothing to do with our performances (Cheat$ki got it right on a season with no European distractions and lucky with injury), right now our points would have won the PL in 8 seasons (including last), win the last game and it would have been enough in 10 seasons.

but zero pace at all in attacking areas. Jamie Carragher made his first ever intelligent observation last night on SSN saying that lack of pace (aside from full backs) is likely a reason why we've dropped a lot of points away from home. Liverpool have less of a problem with that as they have Mane and he's the sort of player we need

Son is pretty damn quick. But he's not *as* fast over long distances, which makes him appear slower than he actually is.

Perfect summary.

Danke. :)

Love him, but also imagine if he could turn those extra chances he has every match into goals. Missed a sitter yesterday, and I remember vividly the one against Watford for his hat trick.

What a crying shame someone with his talent will lose a few years of his career to military service.

Love him, but also imagine if he could turn those extra chances he has every match into goals. Missed a sitter yesterday, and I remember vividly the one against Watford for his hat trick.

What a crying shame someone with his talent will lose a few years of his career to military service.
Yeah, but what if he didn't put away the worldies? You can't have both! Not without Son booking the next flight to Madrid, anyway.

He has the technical ability to warrant a shoot on sight decision, however the difference between him and world class players is knowing when to pass.

Ofcourse he will miss a few but if he didn't gamble he wouldn't have scored as many.

Can we put doubts behind us now after his amazing season scoring some amazing and important goals. Even when he misses I think he has earned the right.

That is a good point, however he is still only 24 and could/will learn when to shoot and when to pass.

As others have mentioned, Son is quick.

I wouldn't disagree that without Walker/Rose in side, there is considerably less physical pace in side. That said, we counter that two ways, Kane, Eriksen, Dele all have decent acceleration without being speed merchants, and when we are quick, it's because our passing is quick, the tempo of game is raised.

People always want some kind of reason to explain stuff, why did Spurs not win the title? nothing to do with our performances (Cheat$ki got it right on a season with no European distractions and lucky with injury), right now our points would have won the PL in 8 seasons (including last), win the last game and it would have been enough in 10 seasons.

He doesnt have explosive pace though. QUick over a few yards, though I'd put that as much down to his size and agility rather than natural speed

My point remains that the main way I see us progressing from an attacking perspective is to bring in some genuine pace or x-factor trickery into attacking areas....ideally both in the same player, but we dont have that kind of money! So if we're after someone like that Bruma chap, thats great as he seems to have pace and some skills, or Mahrez as he brings the x-factor but not the pace.

An attacker like that, plus another decent CB and some more cover for Dembele....that would be a good summer in my mind

That is a good point, however he is still only 24 and could/will learn when to shoot and when to pass.
I've long since felt that when it comes to top strikers it's often better to be greedy, not only do you get more goals that way but so does the team. Kane and Ronaldo being two prime examples.

I've long since felt that when it comes to top strikers it's often better to be greedy, not only do you get more goals that way but so does the team. Kane and Ronaldo being two prime examples.

We are kind of blessed and cursed at the same time having players like Kane, Son and Dele - all have shown selfish instincts and scored. All have shown selfish instincts and missed opportunities that others might have converted. I'd take the chance with the selfishness as it shows confidence. I also like (a little bit) seeing them get annoyed with each other when the pass isn't played in. They are all hungry to score.

Very true all top strikers are greedy, but the best ones know when its time to play in another player who is better placed. My main point was that Son will improve as he gets older.

Can at times be selfish, but most of the time he seems pretty selfless. I can't blame him for shooting if he's on a hot streak, even with Kane in the team next to him, but his first assist for Kane was very generous of him as he had every right to take that shot.

Very true all top strikers are greedy, but the best ones know when its time to play in another player who is better placed. My main point was that Son will improve as he gets older.
I tend to feel that it's only if you miss that you were greedy and should have passed instead.

Son is the gonad*s, in terms of output and net result.
If he misses one sitter, hang in there with him, he will deliver.
Love him more than anything this season.
Has grabbed is so many goals at vital times.

All of our attacking forwards have missed sitters this season. Eriksen, Dele, Kane... and of course it sucks but at least we're creating enough chances that we'll eventually make up for it.
I think AVB would've loved Son because he brings so much "vertical penetration" to the team.

All of our attacking forwards have missed sitters this season. Eriksen, Dele, Kane... and of course it sucks but at least we're creating enough chances that we'll eventually make up for it.
I think AVB would've loved Son because he brings so much "vertical penetration" to the team.

Well I say

That is a fair point, but as players get older and gain experience they will tend to see the bigger picture of what and who is around them. Which is what my point was about Son.
Okay I get where you're coming from. It certainly seemed like Son the got the message Thursday night when he laid on Kane's first.

But it's also possible to overdo the unselfishness thing and that can be even more frustrating. At least with the likes of Kane and Son you rarely find yourself shouting at them to 'SHOOT THE BLOODY THING.' And their goals tally these days suggests they're getting it right more often than not.

Overall when it comes to top strikers I'd generally rather they err on the side of shooting first and thinking later, even if that does mean they get it embarrassingly wrong from time to time.

Back