• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Siggy

Actually though, considering we got £8m for Livermore and Siggy is homegrown too, perhaps it's not so great.

Might it actually be a ploy to try and force Swansea into finalising the Davies deal (as they want Siggy too)?

We have players coming through that I'd imagine will step up to be used in the cup squad

I'd rather sell 'dead-end' Dembele before either of them.

I'll go one up and say we should sell Paulinho, Dembele AND Siggy. We could get over 40 million quid for the three of them, and that's being conservative. Could help finance a move for Lovren and Schneiderlin, whose prices are doubtless being inflated by Southampton's unwillingness to sell 'em.

I'd be happy to not sell or buy anybody and let a manager who knows what he's doing* have a crack at it with these players.

*hopefully this is Poch, as opposed to the nerd AVB or the gimp Sherwood.

I'll go one up and say we should sell Paulinho, Dembele AND Siggy. We could get over 40 million quid for the three of them, and that's being conservative. Could help finance a move for Lovren and Schneiderlin, whose prices are doubtless being inflated by Southampton's unwillingness to sell 'em.

Do not want us going anywhere near Southampton for players as they will screw us on the price, would rather we used our scouts to go and find new targets. Though like a lot of others I am not sure we need to buy many players.

Do not want us going anywhere near Southampton for players as they will screw us on the price, would rather we used our scouts to go and find new targets. Though like a lot of others I am not sure we need to buy many players.

That is undoubtedly true, but perhaps for once we can overlook the price (or at least, try to overlook it as much as possible) when it comes to backing the manager with the players he wants? We tried to skimp on the price when it came to backing AVB (Moutinho, Hulk, et al) and we paid for it when AVB proved unable to integrate the players he received (which apparently weren't the ones he asked for) and failed after a season and a half. We failed to back Harry in 2012 (January, when we signed Nelsen and Saha) and paid the price come May. I even think we failed to back Ramos to an extent.

Now, there are a lot of good reasons why we didn't do so, and I'm not going to suggest we were wrong in keeping our stocks dry during these managers' tenures. But for once, can we not try something different? If, as is apparently the case, Poch wants Lovren and Schneiderlin, why don't we try to get them regardless of the price and make room by selling players he's deemed unnecessary? I find it impossible that Lovren and Schneiderlin will go for anything above 45 million at most: selling Paulinho, Dembele and Siggy would probably give us that money. Let's try something different.

And as for not buying a lot of players, again, I'd disagree: if we really are committed to giving Pochettino time (I mean in a real, genuine sense: letting him see out at least three years, for example), then it's better to have a full overhaul at the start of his regime, take the season's instabilities as they come, and then look forward to stability and gradual improvement next summer and the season beyond. So, by all means, have a radical squad revamp, and damn what the rest of the football world says: once that's been done, settle in for the long haul and look for a stable summer next year and the years beyond. That would be real backing for the manager, I think.

I think I'd like to see Poch have a shot with Dembele and see if he can coach out the player I believe is in there. We have seen in glimpses of the monster player he can be, but one that is visibly regressing to the point where he 2nd guesses almost everything he is doing on the pitch. If you watch early vids of Dembele that self doubt is not evident and while now he is physically superior to the young player in those videos his decision making now seems to be about retaining possession at all costs, something maybe AVB had a big part in changing in him. Players that have the physical tools are the ones a good coach can bring on, whereas Siggy is sort of the opposite in my mind.

Why? For me Dembele has shown real quality in games but has then been asked to plug gaps and fill in defensive roles to cover folk hero Sandros numerous absences

I'd say raw talent wise in terms of a player I want to see be given a chance under a proper manager I def want Dembele to stay and see what Poch can do as all the attributes are there.

Paulinho IMO is weak mentally and has poor technique for someone of his standing while with Sig he has the technique its just the physical side (pace/athletisism) that lets him down

I would go with this.

However I think Poch might turn dembele into our version of jay Rodriguez.
Start him wide of a forward line, run a players and get into the box.

From there he can get shots away or play simple passes- doesn't need anything too fancy.

And he will defend from the front

Why? For me Dembele has shown real quality in games but has then been asked to plug gaps and fill in defensive roles to cover folk hero Sandros numerous absences

I'd say raw talent wise in terms of a player I want to see be given a chance under a proper manager I def want Dembele to stay and see what Poch can do as all the attributes are there.

Paulinho IMO is weak mentally and has poor technique for someone of his standing while with Sig he has the technique its just the physical side (pace/athletisism) that lets him down

He has a bit of a thing with Dembele. Personally I still feel most comfortable with Sandro and Dembele as our CM pairing.

I think I'd like to see Poch have a shot with Dembele and see if he can coach out the player I believe is in there. We have seen in glimpses of the monster player he can be, but one that is visibly regressing to the point where he 2nd guesses almost everything he is doing on the pitch. If you watch early vids of Dembele that self doubt is not evident and while now he is physically superior to the young player in those videos his decision making now seems to be about retaining possession at all costs, something maybe AVB had a big part in changing in him. Players that have the physical tools are the ones a good coach can bring on, whereas Siggy is sort of the opposite in my mind.

Ok, so my two big issues with Dembele

1) His chronic lack of creativity and inability to pass the ball damages our entire offensive game. He is the primary blockage in the system – the reason our AMs don’t function effectively, the reason our forwards never receive the ball in space. While we may be able to coach out his pointless dribbling and get him to play it simple (though that’ll be about 10 years too late), you can’t coach vision.

2) While I recognise he is a strong defensive player, he’s been troubled by his hip for nearly 2 years now and it seems to be getting worse (when was the last time he managed to complete 90 mins?). In the high tempo pressing game we’re going to be playing, we can’t carry players with chronic injury problems (that means Kaboul too).

Ok, so my two big issues with Dembele

1) His chronic lack of creativity and inability to pass the ball damages our entire offensive game. He is the primary blockage in the system – the reason our AMs don’t function effectively, the reason our forwards never receive the ball in space. While we may be able to coach out his pointless dribbling and get him to play it simple (though that’ll be about 10 years too late), you can’t coach vision.

2) While I recognise he is a strong defensive player, he’s been troubled by his hip for nearly 2 years now and it seems to be getting worse (when was the last time he managed to complete 90 mins?). In the high tempo pressing game we’re going to be playing, we can’t carry players with chronic injury problems (that means Kaboul too).

1) This is precisely the kind of thing that Poch at least in theory could do a lot of work with in a relatively short period of time, his decision making. Remember Lambert saying that Poch thought him how to play as a lone striker, how Schneiderlin talked about the details in movement and passing they would work on in training.

Remember that Dembele played most of his career further forward on the pitch. A forward or striker for much of his time in Holland I believe and an attacking midfielder for most of his Fulham career. Then with us thrown into a side that had just lost Modric and was lacking in creativity and then the tumultuous second season. I think there's a lot of learning still left for Dembele about that deeper role and I think he could respond very well to the change in management.

2) That is more worrying. However from the outside it's all very speculative.

Yay. Another crap footballer happy to hardly play and pick up his paycheck each week, rather than go somewhere else and play.

Yay. Another crap footballer happy to hardly play and pick up his paycheck each week, rather than go somewhere else and play.

More like not throwing a hissy fit every time he's not starting and actually willing to fight for his place. How absurd.

He may not be the best footballer in the world, but he's been playing in a system that made half of our players seemingly forget how to play the game. He qualifies as a homegrown player as well. Would it really be the worst thing in the world to have him stick around and see if Poch can get the best out of him?

As if, hes far from crap - please tell me how many footballers can strike a ball as well as him, also his touch/technique is quality. He needs to discover what his best role is, maybe Poch will unearth that. Either way he isn't crap and we arent going to obtain better quality squad players than him....

I suppose he regrets not joining Liverpool when he had then chance. Rodgers knows how yo get the best out of him

Liking the cut of your jib

Back