• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Serge Aurier

And he never went on strike or shouted his mouth off to the press. His transfer couldn't really have been handled any better, that goes for the club and for Walker. I wish more players acted as professionally when an impending move is on the cards.
He could have waited until the summer. Plenty of games left last season when he had already made his decision and told Pochettino about it. Put us in a difficult position, solved by good performances by Trippier. But seems a bit unnecessary to start that with important games left of the season.
Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear! Another shocker for him, I don’t know how you teach football intelligence but Poch and co have their work cut out with this one.

On the plus side he did persuade Lucas to come here and I liked the 5 minute cameo I saw last night from his mate.
Did well up until the penalty in the first half. But poor in the second and seemed unable to shake the mistake. Unlike Ben Davies.

Brings uncertainty with these fairly frequent mistakes. Will be interesting to see who Pochettino trusts in the big games remaining after the Juventus second leg.

We need to give this lad a chance rather than get on his back. He is playing in a new league which is faster and more competitive than Ligue 1. On top of that he is being rotated rather than playing every game. I was a big fan of Walker but he made plenty of mistakes but managed to overcome them to be a fine full back.

Comparing him with a young Walker -- Walker was always an incredible athlete, he always had the raw tools to be something excellent. Aurier has to cut out the mistakes just to become a decent full-back at the moment. He has very little pace and doesn't read the game well at all. He started off with some decent passing/vision, but I'm guessing has lost confidence because even that side of his game has dipped.

We should look to get a proper athlete in there, or someone who is excellent defensively. Got to have at least one of those going for you imo. He doesn't have either.

Don't think that one game would have been the catalyst for the move thought I think that point has been overstated. More likely that his agent was whispering sweet nothings in his ear about Guardiola's project and double your money. Like you said I don't bear Walker, Rose, Modric or Bale any ill will for wanting to move. Only clambell for the way he did it and who he moved too.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was necessarily the catalyst but he must have thought I've been here 7 years and we finally get to the CL and the manager doesn't pick me so what's the point. Another reason for me to move on.

He could have waited until the summer. Plenty of games left last season when he had already made his decision and told Pochettino about it. Put us in a difficult position, solved by good performances by Trippier. But seems a bit unnecessary to start that with important games left of the season

I wanted him to stay but at least he was clear about what he wanted for his future and didn't lie to anyone about his intentions. His performances were still good as far as I remember that's all you can ask from a player who doesn't want to be around in the long term.

He could have waited until the summer. Plenty of games left last season when he had already made his decision and told Pochettino about it. Put us in a difficult position, solved by good performances by Trippier.
How did it put us in a difficult position? Gave us longer to prepare. Would only of put us in a difficult position if he'd started playing up, but quite clearly he was a popular guy in the dressing room and did nothing to disrupt. He continued to perform well when called upon, you can always find something to criticise if you look hard enough but utimately he did nothing wrong....

Have to say I've been disappointed in him so far.
But, since poch arrived here there's obviously been a clear plan to play in a certain style and system. It's only now that the evolution has allowed us into a position where we can carry that out. We have the squad to play poch system regardless of what happens.
Until now anyone who has come in has struggled, as did the players poch inherited, and the fullbacks/wing backs are so crucial to the system that they have all taken time to settle.
Rose, walker, trippier and Davies have all needed time, so I will be patient with serge and not judge until Christmas.
The fact that he seems to play better when paired with sissoko, some one he knows and trusts gives me hope.

Another thing for those comparing Aurier to a young Walker. Aurier is 25, Walker is 27. 2 years ago, when Walker was 25, he was still the best right-back in the league. We bought Aurier to be able to perform now imo, it's not a Sanchez type signing.

If you were Poch and looking at where to strengthen in the summer, what position in the first XI is the one that lacks stand-out quality? I would say right-back.

I suppose I've been attached to this club for too long and I see them as an extension of my family, and as I love all my family I try to see the best in them and feel they can be better with constructive help rather than negative criticism.

Another thing for those comparing Aurier to a young Walker. Aurier is 25, Walker is 27. 2 years ago, when Walker was 25, he was still the best right-back in the league. We bought Aurier to be able to perform now imo, it's not a Sanchez type signing.

If you were Poch and looking at where to strengthen in the summer, what position in the first XI is the one that lacks stand-out quality? I would say right-back.

I would agree except Aurier is in first season. So comparing the two is a little difficult.
Pochettino will chop and change both this season but I believe neither are defensively good enough.
3 at the back may negate these problems.
Can't think of a good 'responsible and reasonably priced' right back?

My only concern is how do you coach a player not to do what he clearly does instinctively...

Was a bad buy, just like Janssen. It happens, move him on as quick as possible. It is not the first penalty he has given away and wont be the last, lunging tackle like that in the box is awful.

Back