• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

There's news going around that Pulis is apparently furious at Peace's refusal to sell Berahino - wanted the funds to do some wheeler dealer business yesterday and didn't want to deal with an unhappy Saido come the end of the window. That suggests (if true) that it was Pulis who encouraged Berahino and his agent to put feelers out for his possible transfer.

I wonder if that's connected to Walters handing in a transfer request at Stoke? He was linked with a move to join up again with Pulis at WBA a couple days ago then a few clubs apparently showed interest yesterday but he ended up staying instead. I wonder if Pulis told him he wanted to bring him in but then couldn't due to the Saido stuff

Hate to say it but I agree with AVB, there is no way we're getting Berahino now, whether it's in the Jan window or future, this looks to be a Scheiderlin MK II :(

Last edited:
What is going to happen between now and January that makes you think this? I can't see which one of the big 4 would really need him to be honest...

For a start I don't think we go in for him in January , don't know why but when we go in for a player over a whole window and don't get him we never seem to go back in for them the next window, eg schneiderlain, moutinho

Hate to say it but I agree with AVB, there is no way we're getting Berahino now, whether it's in the Jan window or future, this looks to be a Scheiderlin MK II :(

That depends on many things and is far from a foregone conclusion. If we are still interested in January and are the biggest club in for him, we would be the favourites to sign him.

Plus Poch clearly wants him judging by his comments in the press (about girlfriends, etc). A player would want to go where he is wanted. Whether they sell him to us is another matter.

Yikes. The more info that gets leaked, the more apparent it's becoming that maybe this had far less to do with "typical Levy behaviour" than it had with "bizarre Peace behaviour".

And look, I tend to give Levy a lot more slack than some; but I'm more than happy to call him out on his mistakes (the treatment of Jol, the Berbatov / Frazier Campbell farago - which clearly was a screw up on our part, and so on). But it honestly doesn't look like he was the villain of this particular piece.
No not the villain of the piece but I think he underestimated Peace consequently left the bidding process too late, especially as it would appear berahino was our only option. We must also bear in mind that these big deals rather too frequently go against us. Moutinho, schneiderlin and now berahino and that's without taking into account the mess that was the "ramos" window. Look I recognize he is in so many ways a great chairman but his record on closing the key signings are not great. Perhaps his reputation as a great negotiator is overblown certainly when it comes to purchases. Poch is the one manager I have really believed in since Jol, but we have failed to give him an additional striker or central midfielder. For me this has been a poor window. I hope it does not cost the manager his job.

Reactions: DTA
They don't really sign players based on what's needed. Ar5ena1 actually need a striker, so we can rule them out, but I can see United offering big bucks when Rooney still hasn't regained any form. Chel53a might sign him just for the laughs.
Sorry but I just don't see Man Utd going for him they are in a market way above him IMO. But we shall see...

No not the villain of the piece but I think he underestimated Peace consequently left the bidding process too late, especially as it would appear berahino was our only option. We must also bear in mind that these big deals rather too frequently go against us. Moutinho, schneiderlin and now berahino and that's without taking into account the mess that was the "ramos" window. Look I recognize he is in so many ways a great chairman but his record on closing the key signings are not great. Perhaps his reputation as a great negotiator is overblown certainly when it comes to purchases. Poch is the one manager I have really believed in since Jol, but we have failed to give him an additional striker or central midfielder. For me this has been a poor window. I hope it does not cost the manager his job.

if anything we overestimated him, we didn't believe Peace would be stupid enough to burn the whole thing down just to prove a point, from the sounds of it he's fractured the dressing room, undermined the manager, isolated their key asset and depreciated his value, this could have serious ramifications on their season

Whether or not we get berahino in Jan depends on a number of factors. If he puts in outstanding performances between now and January then imo he won't be sold until the summer especially if WBA have something left to play for e.g fighting relegation. If that happens then next summer, with less time left on his contract, the competition for his signing will probably put him beyond our reach. Of course at any point if we get him it depends on levy meeting Peace's valuation. It is in our interests sadly for berahino to keep his strop going for as long as possible.

if anything we overestimated him, we didn't believe Peace would be stupid enough to burn the whole thing down just to prove a point, from the sounds of it he's fractured the dressing room, undermined the manager, isolated their key asset and depreciated his value, this could have serious ramifications on their season
Berahino was his biggest asset just like berbatov, modric and bale were for us. Levy was always going to be on the back foot. A position he clearly does not work well from. Berahino will calm down eventually especially as pulis is supposed to be a good man manager and did not burn his bridges with the player.

Berahino was his biggest asset just like berbatov, modric and bale were for us. Levy was always going to be on the back foot. A position he clearly does not work well from. Berahino will calm down eventually especially as pulis is supposed to be a good man manager and did not burn his bridges with the player.

possibly, or he might be training with the kids until Christmas

my only worry now is that Peace will sell to anyone but us, even if it means a few quid less, just to further fuel his ego, he can then write a book about how he took on Levy and won

possibly, or he might be training with the kids until Christmas

my only worry now is that Peace will sell to anyone but us, even if it means a few quid less, just to further fuel his ego, he can then write a book about how he took on Levy and won
I think we need to get away from Peace being the nasty evil chairman. It is rather too convenient in that it enables us to paint levy as an innocent victim. We could imo have got berahino this was not similar to the stones bids in that WBA would have sold if we met his valuation. For whatever reason levy did not. That's fine but I sincerely hope Poch is not the victim of this.

Reactions: DTA
I think we need to get away from Peace being the nasty evil chairman. It is rather too convenient in that it enables us to paint levy as an innocent victim. We could imo have got berahino this was not similar to the stones bids in that WBA would have sold if we met his valuation. For whatever reason levy did not. That's fine but I sincerely hope Poch is not the victim of this.

i'm not saying "nasty evil chairman", i'm saying he's an idiot, at 5:30pm yesterday the smartest thing for WBA long term was to sell and move on

i'm not saying "nasty evil chairman", i'm saying he's an idiot, at 5:30pm yesterday the smartest thing for WBA long term was to sell and move on

Quite. He's not evil but he's clearly willing to lose a large chunk of money just to prove a point.

Peace wanted a 'Stone's' type bid IMHO...
London club in Europe! rich bastards!.....£30m AND half upfront for our 'England international'. Cant blame him, we all dream.
I would have not been happy to over £25m for Saido and that pushing it. As for the installments, that was red herring as was the time to get a replacement.
Don't think pragmatism is his strong point.

On a seperate issue, the whole installments based payments is how these large transfers work right? I mean from what I have heard Bale's fee was being paid over a 4 year period and Modric's was similarly structured. I would agree that the £5 million a year is probably too low, but the structure of spreading the payments over years isn't unheard of.

On a seperate issue, the whole installments based payments is how these large transfers work right? I mean from what I have heard Bale's fee was being paid over a 4 year period and Modric's was similarly structured. I would agree that the £5 million a year is probably too low, but the structure of spreading the payments over years isn't unheard of.

It's standard to spread it over the length of the contract

Back