• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

Just a random crap player who we were recurrently linked with after one misguided attempt to sign them. Michael Ricketts, Kenwyne Jones, Stuart Downing etc.

Shame the same didn't apply to Son. Cannot believe after a few years under different managers of being linked with him we ended up blowing 22 mill on the guy.

Just a random crap player who we were recurrently linked with after one misguided attempt to sign them. Michael Ricketts, Kenwyne Jones, Stuart Downing etc.
Very big difference here though (and I think you have probably missed the initial poster's point) is that last summer Pochettino described the player as being the perfect player for his system at WHL. The same manager is still at the club, he is employing the same system and (as of yet) we still haven't signed another centre forward to help take the load off of Harry Kane.

It is now only one year and zero managers on from when we wanted Berahino, whereas it is what?... 5 years and 4 managers since since we wanted Leandro? It is clear that you are deliberately using a poor choice of comparison to try to add credence to your point.

I'm not sure. I think Poch might only name players to throw the scent on his real under-the-radar targets. It's only happened 3 times:

- Berahinho - to disguise our real interest in Son?
- Batshuayi - to disguise our real interest in Janssen?
- Umtiti - to disguise our real interest in Rode?

You never cease to amaze me

Peace's masterplan no doubt is to get him to sign a new contract and then try and flog him for £30-35mill.Can't see too many clubs matching those wages and if he stays another year without signing a contract he probably won't see much action.

^I feel upset on his behalf. He had the chance to move to Spurs but that clown, Peace, has wrecked it. I doubt there is much love between the two. Now he has to play for either Stoke or Crystal Palace - both workhorse clubs.

^I feel upset on his behalf. He had the chance to move to Spurs but that clown, Peace, has wrecked it. I doubt there is much love between the two. Now he has to play for either Stoke or Crystal Palace - both workhorse clubs.

So Peace gets his way and dumps Saido with a sideways move.

He can stay and leave for free in a year almost certainly to a better club which is why the choice may be 12-13mill from us or nothing.

The former one won't make it at Spurs IMO. Still too early to say for the latter one where I think it would be at least 3 years away.

But with Kane and Janssen are both in their early 20s, that doesn't really matter.

The point is more having the space for any future academy prospect to emerge into, rather than having a senior bed blocker.

But with Kane and Janssen are both in their early 20s, that doesn't really matter.

The point is more having the space for any future academy prospect to emerge into, rather than having a senior bed blocker.
But my point is that we won't be looking 3 years ahead for space for youth team players. If Sterling happens to be good enough in 3 years time (realistically you would have to say that at best there is about a 20% to 25% chance of this) then the club would sell one of the players who was blocking his path.

I agree that now we have Janssen, Berahino is no no longer a priority signing (that signing should now be competition/cover for Eriksen), but if for example Pochettino felt that the opportunity was too good (i.e. the price had fallen massively) or if he felt that Berahino was a better bet to make an impact in the same position than (say) N'Jie, or if we could buy Berahino for the sort of amount that we could sell Pritchard for and he rated Berahino higher than Pritchard then you might see us try for an opportunistic deal.

I know you don't like Berahino and never wanted him, but our manager clearly did, to the tune of £23 million as well. The situation may well have passed now. But blocking a 25% chance of a young player coming through in 3 years time would be somewhere close to the bottom of Pochettino's reasons for not wanting him now.

You also make a massive assumption that we will keep Harry Kane at the club long term. Previous history suggests that if he has another excellent season this year then we will struggle to keep him even beyond that.

So do I. I don't know if we turned his head and then Peace didn't allow the move because of it but even if we didn't there is a case to get him now:
1. I am not convinced we have enough goals in this squad, Janssen still looks raw and very left sided, Prem defenders will sort him out, also he might take time to settle. Son in my view should be playing further forward with or without Kane, as he has the running power to get behind defences, which we don't do enough, partly as a lot of teams park the bus against us.
2. He gives us the option to play with another striker who works in the box and is two footed, which means we can play two up in certain games or in Cup games where we need a goal, e.g. crystal Palace last year.
3. We will need more than Janssen, Kane, Son, don't tell me Chadli and Lamella or Harrison can play as strikers.
4. By far the most important reason for going for him is that he has a good understanding, from the u21s, with Kane, and of the strikers we have I think Kane would prefer to play with him.

Gutting really for me would have been a decent signing...Lad certainly has talent. I fear the Berahino boat has sailed.

Back