• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Saido Berahino

I think this whole link exists because people are frustrated that Son and Njie aren't quite up to speed yet.

I wonder if we sign Berahino and he similarly struggles to have an immediate impact (as nearly all new signings in a system like ours will), whether there will be a chorus for a 'proper CF' again in the summer?

This has hit the nail on head. Levy will be saying similar words to Poch I would have thought. A 's*^t or get off the pot' moment for Poch and the crew.

Barahino?
Dembele?
Stick with Son & Ngie?
Bring an older temp in on loan?
Go down the pub?

Decisions, decisions..........

Signing the wrong player is by far the worst option. We've done that enough times in the past to know just how harmful that can be. The net effect of signing the wrong player isn't just a financial cost, it can easily make the team worse

I said that it has to be a player Poch wants. If he wants him, it can't therefore be the worst option. Or have you stopped trusting his judgement?

I think this whole link exists because people are frustrated that Son and Njie aren't quite up to speed yet.

I wonder if we sign Berahino and he similarly struggles to have an immediate impact (as nearly all new signings in a system like ours will), whether there will be a chorus for a 'proper CF' again in the summer?
The link exists because we missed out on him on deadline day and are still in the market for a second CF.

I think you misunderstand. It isn't because they aren't up to speed, it is because they aren't centre forwards. Both may end up being very good players for Spurs, but neither of them will end up being very good players for Spurs in the centre forward position.

I understand the points you are making mate but to be honest I am not sure that Berahino is a typical CF either. From what I have seen of him he is very much in the Defoe style and we all can remember the debates about if Defoe could lead the line or not, seems to me that debate would start up again if we signed Berahino.

I understand the points you are making mate but to be honest I am not sure that Berahino is a typical CF either. From what I have seen of him he is very much in the Defoe style and we all can remember the debates about if Defoe could lead the line or not, seems to me that debate would start up again if we signed Berahino.
Defoe had his flaws certainly but he didn't work out too bad all things considered. In fact I heard mumblings on here that we should get him back (which incidentally I don't agree with). I do agree with you that Defoe playing as a sole striker didn't really work out too well but Berahino has played that role with some success pre-Pulis and so for me he already has one up on Defoe in that regards. If he mostly stays onside then that's two up ;) .

Defoe had his flaws certainly but he didn't work out too bad all things considered. In fact I heard mumblings on here that we should get him back (which incidentally I don't agree with). I do agree with you that Defoe playing as a sole striker didn't really work out too well but Berahino has played that role with some success pre-Pulis and so for me he already has one up on Defoe in that regards. If he mostly stays onside then that's two up ;) .

I loved Defoe and thought he was under rated by some Spurs fans ( and I thought he could play up front on his own, but not getting into that again :)), the point was that from what I have seen Berahino he is the same type of player and completely different from Kane.

I thought Defoe led the line pretty well for Sunderland on Saturday. Despite generally having three on him, he managed to win the ball and hold it up on several occasions. He then had the problem that he barely ever had an option as Sunderland were so slow in getting players forward. He certainly did a better job at this than I would've expected from Son or N'Jie.

Of course if Berahino rally is a much better fit for us than Son up front on his own, and rally is a step up in terms of potential and/or quality, and if Berahino is a good fit in Pochettino's system, and if he is someone that settles quickly that would all change.

I wonder if people would be thinking that if we'd signed Berahino in the summer, and were being linked with Son now?

I think it's just a case of the grass being greener. For me Son is by some distance the superior player and prospect.

With his energy levels and intelligence, Son really is the perfect Poch player. He was also a tremendous player in Germany, and we've seen nothing like the best of him (except a few glimpses).

I loved Defoe and thought he was under rated by some Spurs fans ( and I thought he could play up front on his own, but not getting into that again :)), the point was that from what I have seen Berahino he is the same type of player and completely different from Kane.
Yep definitely similar to Defoe. He'd be near the top of my list (Berahinho that is)

I wonder if people would be thinking that if we'd signed Berahino in the summer, and were being linked with Son now?

I think it's just a case of the grass being greener. For me Son is by some distance the superior player and prospect.

With his energy levels and intelligence, Son really is the perfect Poch player. He was also a tremendous player in Germany, and we've seen nothing like the best of him (except a few glimpses).
As a number 7 you're probably right. As a number 9? I think Son is a long way behind.

I thought Defoe led the line pretty well for Sunderland on Saturday. Despite generally having three on him, he managed to win the ball and hold it up on several occasions. He then had the problem that he barely ever had an option as Sunderland were so slow in getting players forward. He certainly did a better job at this than I would've expected from Son or N'Jie.

Again highlighting the importance of taking style of play into consideration rather than just looking at positions or even roles in isolation.

As a number 7 you're probably right. As a number 9? I think Son is a long way behind.

But Pochettino said he wants someone that can play with Kane. That's definitely a big part of the equation.

You would probably rate Benteke as a better 9 than Firmino? Yet Klopp seems to prefer Firmino as a "false 9" at least some of the time. I don't think it's as easy as saying "player X is better in that role" particularly with young players like Son and Berahino when we clearly have somewhat limited information available to us.

Early signs from Son playing up front for us have been good I think.

I trust Poch and the transfer team. Therefore if they end up making the decision not to sign a striker this January I will not consider that the worst option...

But Poch has already said he wants a striker. I think he has been quoted as saying he wants someone who could both play alongside Kane, lead the line and has some PL experience. That really narrows the field to just about Berahino now that Austin has gone. This desire for more attacking options also seems to back up the fact we were reportedly almost desperate to sign him on the last day of the last transfer window. Therefore not to sign anyone would be a distinct failing imo to give Poch what he wants and would represent an option that is certainly worse than not signing him or someone like him.

Again highlighting the importance of taking style of play into consideration rather than just looking at positions or even roles in isolation.

But Pochettino said he wants someone that can play with Kane. That's definitely a big part of the equation.

You would probably rate Benteke as a better 9 than Firmino? Yet Klopp seems to prefer Firmino as a "false 9" at least some of the time. I don't think it's as easy as saying "player X is better in that role" particularly with young players like Son and Berahino when we clearly have somewhat limited information available to us.

Early signs from Son playing up front for us have been good I think.

Son doesnt have the body strength or clinical finishing a CF needs in MP's tactics.

I agree and I have always thought Defoe was a top player, however he is not a replacement ( same as Kane) and my point was that neither is Berahino.

So if we were to buy him ( as a Kane understudy) we would have to change the way we normally play as they are not compatible ( imo anyway).

I agree and I have always thought Defoe was a top player, however he is not a replacement ( same as Kane) and my point was that neither is Berahino.

So if we were to buy him ( as a Kane understudy) we would have to change the way we normally play as they are not compatible ( imo anyway).

So does the team play to suit Kane or does Kane play to suit the team?

Back