• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Both failed with us because each believed they could/would tame Levy into their way, yet neither could. In Mourinho's case, he lied to get the job (stated on several occasions he could achieve more with the squad than was being achieved when it was clear back then areas needed rebuilding), and in Conte's case, he simply did not deliver on his previous behaviors whereby the moment someone does not give him exactly what he wants, he blows up and walks. I am not saying in any way that Mason is comparable with regards to career (that would be silly on my part) but what you cannot deny is he has looked to make more use of the squad he has in ways which bring out the best in said-players than his predecessor, who simply kept hammering away the same system and routines despite injuries robbing him of his best players to play it!
The last part is why I think he needs praise at the very least. The team in free fall under Stel, put some players in, some out, changed it around depending on oppo, dropped Dier which both Jose and Conte never would and in todays case we looked very solid and very much worth the win. Its a brief rest from the doom and gloom and idea that there was only one way to play and one set of players able to play it (ironically for Conte to meltdown on those players he continued to play regardless of form).

I don't think he will get the job and I don't think he would be ready but he has come in and done the job asked of him and done it well so far.....again

Sent from my SM-A127F using Fapatalk

Third time lucky? Or just take another punt for Levy... ends up with the same result I suppose.

Just hope he has learned and moved on. Either that he goes again with a successful manager and clears the squad and gives time to rebuild with the manager in place.

Just have seen nothing from Mason to suggest that he could build a team.

I thought Levy had moved on from the footballing side and that will now be the new guys domain.

Well done to Mason, to get changes into team at this point of season is impressive.

To the question some are asking, no I wouldn't want him appointed, because it's highly unlikely he will succeed which helps neither us or the club.

He's barely into his early 30's, he could be part of a Nagelsmann staff, then move on to his own outside, and still come back before he's even 40.

Well done to Mason, to get changes into team at this point of season is impressive.

To the question some are asking, no I wouldn't want him appointed, because it's highly unlikely he will succeed which helps neither us or the club.

He's barely into his early 30's, he could be part of a Nagelsmann staff, then move on to his own outside, and still come back before he's even 40.
But unlike Nagellsmann he knows the league, played for and coached with some top coaches, and knows the club and ethos
Nagellsmann got his chance because he came through at Hoffenheim much younger than Mason is now with less experience

Pretty much sums up my attitude to it as well, he needs to gain more experiance as a manager for me and the new manager has a big job on his hands when he takes over ( players to move on, systems to change) i am not sure we would be doing us as a club and Mason himself any favours by giving him the job just now.

Arteta was a bigger household name due to his playing career which is likely why he had suitors from Spain, that doesn't really speak for his abilities at the time and I'd like to think that being a coach/manager is more complex than copying another managers setup, though in the case of Arsenal & Arteta i certainly hope that's the limit of his managerial qualities because it will be a short lived career if that's all he has got going for him.
Arteta was also the actual assistant for some years. Mason has just been a coach as an installed part of the coaching team in comparison. Pep specifically hired Arteta because he had a relationship with him and rated his potential.

Mason in contrast is a club coach who had been assigned to the coaching teams of Jose, Nuno and Conte. They seemed to take to him, but he wasn't their man so in contrast to Arteta we don't know how much hands on coaching he's been doing.

I guess this spell in charge is something of a tryout. It's just we can't really compare to Arteta or Naglesmann first roles.

Sent from my XQ-BC72 using Fapatalk

Arteta was also the actual assistant for some years. Mason has just been a coach as an installed part of the coaching team in comparison. Pep specifically hired Arteta because he had a relationship with him and rated his potential.

Mason in contrast is a club coach who had been assigned to the coaching teams of Jose, Nuno and Conte. They seemed to take to him, but he wasn't their man so in contrast to Arteta we don't know how much hands on coaching he's been doing.

I guess this spell in charge is something of a tryout. It's just we can't really compare to Arteta or Naglesmann first roles.

Was he an assistant manager at City? A quick google suggests he was an 'assistant coach' along with a couple of other people, is that the same? Dunno tbh

I think the idea that Pep rated his potential as you put it, despite him having no coaching experience at all kind of ties in with my thinking - having/gaining experience is obviously important part of a coaches development but their thinking/ideas/motivation etc is also key and may even be more important - Mason may well have all of that in abundance for all we know and tbf the way he talks & carries himself plus some of the early signs wrt team shape and tactical changes/subs etc show he has something about him - Arteta was linked to Arsenal a couple of seasons earlier than when he joined, when they appointed Emery, at that point he was only a year or so in to coaching and for me highlights that experience isn't really the be all and end all (especially when we're talking little more than coaching experience and a managers first job) in terms of showing the required potential.

Imagine if we told Mason to say go to Brighton, to gain some experienced. Then 2 years later he succeeds Guardiola at City and never looks back!

I suspect reading the posts the comparisons on Mason to Arteta are more a route to work, where they started and that route of development rather than a cast iron direct comparison to where Arteta is now.

But even if you were to make direct comparison lets not ignore than Arteta was also given time to learn on the job at Arsenal, 8th and 8th before this breakout season, I would be confident Mason could achieve that with Spurs if asked (not that I think he will or should be asked BTW).

Last edited:
Was he an assistant manager at City? A quick google suggests he was an 'assistant coach' along with a couple of other people, is that the same? Dunno tbh

I think the idea that Pep rated his potential as you put it, despite him having no coaching experience at all kind of ties in with my thinking - having/gaining experience is obviously important part of a coaches development but their thinking/ideas/motivation etc is also key and may even be more important - Mason may well have all of that in abundance for all we know and tbf the way he talks & carries himself plus some of the early signs wrt team shape and tactical changes/subs etc show he has something about him - Arteta was linked to Arsenal a couple of seasons earlier than when he joined, when they appointed Emery, at that point he was only a year or so in to coaching and for me highlights that experience isn't really the be all and end all (especially when we're talking little more than coaching experience and a managers first job) in terms of showing the required potential.

Its all abit of a state of mind as this post proves TBH. Firstly no one knows who will be successful such is the nature of the game.

But as with players managers have to come from somewhere, everyone would have taken Conte and Jose I suspect but even they started their journey in less glamourous surroundings, thats just the nature of the game.

Wait he got one more year of experience, and just because arsenal were chasing him it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

If he has potential then it won't matter if he goes away to learn more, surely it would be less of a risk no?

That was decent from Mason yesterday. Found a way to get the best out of Porro and Royal depending on if we did or didn’t have the ball. I’ve said all season on many threads that we need to get an extra body into midfield to stop the opposition arriving on the edge of our box at will. Having 6 for the press as part of a 442 was good work.

And losing Dier and moving Romero to the middle made a big difference. We’ve seen how slow Dier is to engage when teams have made it in to dangerous areas, Romero will not stand for that and was quick out to the channels to block anything.

Still quite limited on the front foot, but I really think a middle 2 of Bentancur and Bissouma could make a big difference with more progressive passes. Then we just need an upgraded LWB and LCB….hopefully Udogie can hit the ground running.

Wait he got one more year of experience, and just because arsenal were chasing him it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do.

If he has potential then it won't matter if he goes away to learn more, surely it would be less of a risk no?

I guess my point regarding your first is that us as fans are fixiting on experience with Mason, where in the comparison with Arteta it's a marginal difference between them, people bought in to him and gave him his shot.

I agree with your second point and as I've said previously I'm not saying he should get the job, i just don't agree with some of the logic being used against him.

What is a Levy man exactly and what makes Mason one? Or Pleat for that matter
If there is such a thing then Timmeh's your man. The Tottenham manager who never tired of telling us he had 'the best win ratio ever' but still got fired by Levy at the end of his first half-season.

Point is with Daniel, you're never allowed too many hits before you're fired. Maybe if Mason had won every game this time round he might have stood an outside chance.

Levy even preferred Stellini ahead of him, so I think we can forget it. It just ain't gonna happen..

Why?

Nagelsman I get the argument.
Arteta comparison is almost a carbon copy.

Back