• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Oh dear!

For sure Mason is not the most technically gifted, and sometimes like tonight his passing is found wanting, but here are some of the vital qualities he does bring to the party:
  • an exceptionally high-energy pressing game in support of his colleagues
  • persistently disrupts the flow of the opposition all over the park
  • puts his foot in where it matters
  • has a terrier-like ability to win possession
  • ability to move the ball swiftly forward once in possession
I would say the latter is perhaps his most important asset, essential when counter-attacking or attempting to break down a defence that sits back.

IMO Mason is the most creative player in our squad. He has the vision for a pass like no one else. I only saw the second half last night, but in the first half highlights later didn't he set-up the best chance with a chipped ball?

He attempts a lot of incisive high-risk passes, and doesn't quite have the accuracy of Eriksen (who trails Mason on vision), so he does give the ball away at times. But remember the alternative is turgid sideways passing.

Remember Mason is a #10 finding his feet further back in CM, rather than an industrious battler who can pass.

IMO Mason is the most creative player in our squad. He has the vision for a pass like no one else. I only saw the second half last night, but in the first half highlights later didn't he set-up the best chance with a chipped ball?

He attempts a lot of incisive high-risk passes, and doesn't quite have the accuracy of Eriksen (who trails Mason on vision), so he does give the ball away at times. But remember the alternative is turgid sideways passing.

Remember Mason is a #10 finding his feet further back in CM, rather than an industrious battler who can pass.

I think you might be over-egging it a bit there GB. I like Mason but you'd have to be pretty blinkered to claim that we have been turgid or unadventurous in his absence.

I think you might be over-egging it a bit there GB. I like Mason but you'd have to be pretty blinkered to claim that we have been turgid or unadventurous in his absence.

Sure, but that's because Alli and Bentaleb (even Dier a bit) possess the same qualities.

I meant more compared to the other CMs we had post-Modric and pre-Masaleb

Basically I think Poch prefers aggressive passers who are occasionally wayward, to safe passers who slow transition.

Sure, but that's because Alli and Bentaleb (even Dier a bit) possess the same qualities.

I meant more compared to the other CMs we had post-Modric and pre-Masaleb

Basically I think Poch prefers aggressive passers who are occasionally wayward, to safe passers who slow transition.

For me this is the big (and pretty key) difference between Poch and AVB. It's the main reason why Poch has been able to find that balance between attractive football and a system that makes us hard to beat. AVB failed miserably at it.

Poch likes players who's first look is forward which suits the pacey, young teams he likes to put together.

For me, out of the CMs Mason and Alli are the two that do this best. That being said, there's only room for one of them in a 2 man midfield where Dier is undroppable, and Mason won't keep a starting place with performances like last night.

Let's be honest, it's a nice problem to have.

For me this is the big (and pretty key) difference between Poch and AVB. It's the main reason why Poch has been able to find that balance between attractive football and a system that makes us hard to beat. AVB failed miserably at it.

Poch likes players who's first look is forward which suits the pacey, young teams he likes to put together.

For me, out of the CMs Mason and Alli are the two that do this best. That being said, there's only room for one of them in a 2 man midfield where Dier is undroppable, and Mason won't keep a starting place with performances like last night.

Let's be honest, it's a nice problem to have.

But you also can't play 60 games at the intensity Mason and Alli do, so they will both get lots of game time.

It's also the key position (along with the WFs) to make a substitution, to keep the intensity for the last 3rd of a match.

Well I never got a lot of the hype that some placed on Masons head last season, but I also think it is far to early to be writing him off either. Just coming back from injury ( and I agree he was poor last night) I will wait and see how the rest of the season pans out for him.

Similar to what I said about Chadli, Mason is a good squad player but with how the team are playing at the moment he is no where near the starting 11 when all are fit and not suspended. Again (like Chadli) it's no coincidence that we have played our best football and scored so many goals without him in the team.

Not taking anything away from Mason and I do rate him but in current form he is not as good as anyone in the starting 11.

Similar to what I said about Chadli, Mason is a good squad player but with how the team are playing at the moment he is no where near the starting 11 when all are fit and not suspended. Again (like Chadli) it's no coincidence that we have played our best football and scored so many goals without him in the team.

Not taking anything away from Mason and I do rate him but in current form he is not as good as anyone in the starting 11.

I disagree. Mason is a decent player and I could see him becoming a first choice player again before the end of the season. I would agree that he is short of that at the moment but Poch tends to stick with players who are in form. If Mason gets a run in the team, I think that it would be foolish to think that he cannot hold onto his place.

To those picking on his performance for the last game, apparently he was quite ill up to 30 minutes before game.

He mentions it in one of the post game interviews.

Cheers. Thought he was alright all in all apart from a couple of misplaced passes that he really should have done better with.

Positive from Carroll too when he came on. Shows that he's a very effective passer of the ball, though his path to getting regular starts looks a tough one.

Even just back from injury son looked dangerous. Son scored as many goals in 2 games than mason in over a year.

Mason has never proven he's good enough. He'll be gone next summer so we'll never have to have this full conversation over and over again.

Even just back from injury son looked dangerous. Son scored as many goals in 2 games than mason in over a year.

Mason has never proven he's good enough. He'll be gone next summer so we'll never have to have this full conversation over and over again.

Is this a serious post?

Who is this Chadli bloke? Does he play for us?

Joking apart, where is he? Didnt realise his injury was that bad.

Back