• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ryan Mason

Top drawer, old bean - not top draw. ;)

I'm with you, though; I think he looks like a good player and although I like Thomas Carroll's composure and passing, I think physically Mason is better equipped.

P.S. Sorry about the spelling pedantry; at least you did not spell "reins" - things you use to steer a horse - as "reigns" - something a monarch does.

Never apologise for being you.

You're right out of the top drawer.

Definitely a good sign. Clubs like Barca and Manu that have produced fantastic young players have also produced a host of top flight players. I think it's almost a necessity for a top class academy.

Not entirely sure if Bentaleb should be included with those or more with the "signed when young and further developed" players like Rose. But either way a good thing to do!

Ignoring Bentaleb from the above group the players listed are within an age group of only 3 years. I don't think our previous PL player/defender production reached that kind of frequency. I think it's at least somewhat likely that another group of players will follow those and we might keep up a similar frequency.

It's a good source of income if nothing else. It all helps. Even if Carroll's development doesn't reach the heights required of a regular first-team slot at Spurs, i think we could easily get £5-8m for him. Didn't we get a figure along those lines for Livermore? We got £8m for Caulker didn't we?

I think we could easily get £15m for Townsend, given his England exploits.

He shouldn't be in the starting line up imho (well at least not every week). Extremely talented player with a bright future ahead (further up the pitch imo) but we need to change the starting midfield 2 and the way we are approaching games in this difficult period.

-----------------Stambouli----Dembele------------------

keep it compact in the middle and retain possession. If Dembele holds the ball for too long? good...means we're not being opened up like we currently are every single week.

He shouldn't be in the starting line up imho (well at least not every week). Extremely talented player with a bright future ahead (further up the pitch imo) but we need to change the starting midfield 2 and the way we are approaching games in this difficult period.

keep it compact in the middle and retain possession. If Dembele holds the ball for too long? good...means we're not being opened up like we currently are every single week.

Hate to agree right now but a game or two on the bench will see him come back better IMO. Baffled as to why Stambouli wasn't in the squad yesterday. I like him so hopefully just a niggle.

Is Dembele the answer though?

Interesting, Id never thought about that as Mason has definitely been one of our better players.

But often when a team is struggling a manager changes tactics a little, making sure you're harder to beat with a solid core in the middle - maybe worth a try, but means you really are heavily relying on those front 4 to create....

No. Mason must start - we could do a lot worse than picking Lennon just so he offers some protection as our 3 forwards do little or no work. Mason has been quality other than yesterday and has shown he can control the game by keeping the ball moving.

Strombouli does not impress me right now and dembele is all over the place. For me it's one of those two with mason. He is the only one who looks like a decent midfielder at this time

Couldn't agree more.

No. Mason must start - we could do a lot worse than picking Lennon just so he offers some protection as our 3 forwards do little or no work. Mason has been quality other than yesterday and has shown he can control the game by keeping the ball moving.

Strombouli does not impress me right now and dembele is all over the place. For me it's one of those two with mason. He is the only one who looks like a decent midfielder at this time

I agree,Mason must play.

If Mason plays then give him a game in front of Dembele and Stambouli, Chadli and Eriksen on either sides.

Agreed. His best position to me is further forward anyway so I'm all for it.

Can I ask (as someone who knew nothing about this guy until his debut), was he played further forward at U21 level ETC or just assuming he'd be better there because of his skillset?

Can I ask (as someone who knew nothing about this guy until his debut), was he played further forward at U21 level ETC or just assuming he'd be better there because of his skillset?

I'm assuming because of his skill set but he did play the majority of youth games further forward according to most, and a poster that knows him has said mason wants to play further forward and that is his natural position.

I'm assuming because of his skill set but he did play the majority of youth games further forward according to most, and a poster that knows him has said mason wants to play further forward and that is his natural position.

I have been a huge fan of the kid since he was 18. He really could do a job further forward. He scored 25 in a season at youth level.level. Tottenham though have seemed as if they want to push him further and further back as the years have gone on.

I have been a huge fan of the kid since he was 18. He really could do a job further forward. He scored 25 in a season at youth level.level. Tottenham though have seemed as if they want to push him further and further back as the years have gone on.

Modric scored loads of goals in his youth too, sometimes your skillset is better off used a little deeper

Injury has unfortunately dictated his development, although last season at Swindon I believe he played more games in a deeper role. The lad has vision to pick a pass and make a run, he'd be fine in any midfield where his primary role wasn't that of a winger or a DM. Then again he is looking more and more efficient at tracking runners that run into the channel between the CB and FB. I'd still be in favour of seeing him in a rotational three with Stambouli and one other (personally a new signing).

He started off as a striker, for our academy he was a 10 and scored loads but started to play as a number 8 in the past few years.

Modric scored loads of goals in his youth too, sometimes your skillset is better off used a little deeper

Especially when you stop growing first.

That said Messi may have been really special for Barca to have invested in growth hormone shots.

Back