• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ross Barkley

I rate him highly but I would certainly would not be keen on playing him ahead of Dele as I will be expecting about 20 league goals from him next season while I see Silva more of a play maker.

Sure he would be an excellent signing for us Unfortunately, I feel it will be a moot point as I expect richer teams to blow us out of the water with their financial package. Why come to Spurs for about £70K when you can get between £150-200K somewhere else?

I know we are building a new stadium but that wage ceiling is going to hinder us.

Well he is going City now for £60m (silva that is)

With regards to Barkley if we make a bidI could see him choosing us ahead of richer teams because I think he has seen what Poch has done for the likes of Rose, Walker, Kane, Dele, Dier and now Trippier

But would he improve us, and would he come in at a reasonable price? Still very big questions, imo, even if I'm not quite as doom-and-gloom about his potential signing as some of our other fans are.

Well he is going City now for £60m (silva that is)

That makes sense. He will probably sign for at least £150K a week while we will probably have no more than £60m to spend for the summer. I think by this time next year we will both be saying what an excellent signing he was for City.

City will have some attack when you add Silva to Jesus, Aguero, KDB, Stirling and Sane which is more the reason why we should not help improve their defence by giving them Walker.

But would he improve us, and would he come in at a reasonable price? Still very big questions, imo, even if I'm not quite as doom-and-gloom about his potential signing as some of our other fans are.

At the every least he improves our squad which as far as I am concerned means he improves "us". Bearing in mind he is English and his age I could see him costing approx £20m. Anymore I would tell them to jog on. As he only has a year left on his contract Levy will bring his "A" game to the negotiating table :D

Everton fans are delighted they are upgrading on him with Siggy

I think Barkley will end up at Saudi Sportswashing Machine

I think a key factor between the 2 players is that at 27 Siggy is playing at his peak while Barkley at 23 is not. He just needs the right guidance which I think Poch can give him.

But if Poch thinks he is not the one for us then I am fine with that too

Yeah, I wish people would stop saying 'Team x,y and z aren't interested in a player so he cant be any good'. Such a flawed argument....

Indeed Man Utd looked at Berbatov but did not think he was worth it, ditto Liverpool with Dele. Ironically we later sold Berbatov to Man Utd for a club record while Liverpool could not afford Dele if they tried.

At the every least he improves our squad which as far as I am concerned means he improves "us". Bearing in mind he is English and his age I could see him costing approx £20m. Anymore I would tell them to jog on. As he only has a year left on his contract Levy will bring his "A" game to the negotiating table :D

Well, Everton fans on GOT are making the point that Burnley are asking for 25m for Keane and *rse are asking for 35m for Oxlade-Chamberlain, both on the last years of their respective contracts - thus, they should at least be getting 30m-odd for Barkley.

I don't think he'll come for 20m, definitely not. Maybe 25m, but that's still half of their publicly stated price. Might well be more. Thus, I'm not sure if that's the route worth going down - spending 25m+ on someone who won't necessarily be a starter straight away. Not to mention wages - Barkley will presumably want 100k a week or thereabouts, which I'm not sure he necessarily deserves yet.

Yeah, but other Everton fans (again, on GOT) are making the point that Barkley outdoes Siggy quite comfortably on several indicators -

L1Mk6je.jpg

(Courtesy GOT - https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/threads/ross-barkley.77981/page-1603#post-5481061 )

if we can get him for a reasonable fee, id take him, wouldn't improve our first team but would add to our squad.

I will not deny they were good choices but just as finances meant the Silva was a non started i fear the same would apply to Mahrez

Mahrez will be similar bracket to Barkley (£25-30m). Leicester apparently made a gentleman's agreement last summer with him that he could leave this one.

Arsenal seem our main competition for him (as Sanchez's replacement). Can they afford their traditional big wages now they've got to cut costs post-CL?

Mahrez will be similar bracket to Barkley (£25-30m). Leicester apparently made a gentleman's agreement last summer with him that he could leave this one.

Arsenal seem our main competition for him (as Sanchez's replacement). Can they afford their traditional big wages now they've got to cut costs post-CL?

But Mahrez is already on 100k a week, isn't he? Why would we chase a player with a questionable work rate, who isn't even all that pacy, physical or consistent (all variously key to our style of play) and who will likely want more than we pay even Kane?

Gentleman's agreement mean sweet fuk all and as for wages, well they have offered Sanchez £250K so they can afford to pay Mahrez £150K. Both Milan clubs are now backed by Chinese money so if they start rebuilding he would be a player for them to consider.

I would love Mahrez to come to Spurs but it depends on the financial package. If we did sign Mahrez we would not sign any other African player methinks

But Mahrez is already on 100k a week, isn't he? Why would we chase a player with a questionable work rate, who isn't even all that pacy, physical or consistent (all variously key to our style of play) and who will likely want more than we pay even Kane?

Mahrez is the one missing piece of our jigsaw - a playmaker with spark. A dribbler who can create chances and score with very limited space.

In someways I think he can be a bit different from our mould, because he's that x-factor player for the times nothing else is working. This team's van der Vaart.

Re money - if his motivation is his career, he'll join us.

Back