• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Rose Hanbury

Most of the post on here write about early diagnosis, preventative care and better information. Few if any have any medical answer for the increase, years ago we were told smoking was the biggest cause of cancer now far less people smoke yet the figure rises. I'm concerned it might be something in the things we consume or the amount of electronic gadgets we use, even the air we breath.

Radio 4 las night, we smoke less, drink less, eat more fruit and veg and exercise more and yet cancer in the "young" are growing and we don't know why.
I've always had a suspicion that cancer is a doctors "get out of jail" card, whenever they don't know what it is they label it cancer.

Euthanasia is the answer, IMO. We aren't supposed to live through all these diseases. We aren't productive after 80.
There definitely comes a time when the quality of life should be more important than the quantity.
I get that life is sacred and all that but I've watched too many die horrible deaths after months of agony and suffering.

Most of the post on here write about early diagnosis, preventative care and better information. Few if any have any medical answer for the increase, years ago we were told smoking was the biggest cause of cancer now far less people smoke yet the figure rises. I'm concerned it might be something in the things we consume or the amount of electronic gadgets we use, even the air we breath.
Microplastics and ultra processed foods?

Almost certainly a contributing factor.
Pace of life and stress must be up there as well.
Especially when you look at the demographic.
Average life span has been creeping up, it can only go so far without severe medical intervention, will we reach point where the medical tech out grows our bodies physical limits and begins to do more harm than good. Pumping you full of drugs can't always be healthy.
These fleshy containers aren't built for much more than our three score years and 10.

I've nearly finished reading the Dr Chris van Tulleken's book on UPFs, an eye opening (if not surprising) read. Well written and well referenced/evidenced.

Then the behaviour/mental health crisis around screen/gadget use is coming down the road soon.

I agree with euthanasia as a personal choice, not sure I'm ok with setting productivity as a criteria. I write as a man approaching his 80th year and don't feel ready to have some hairy arsed council offical taking me away with the bins.
Your lucky, we rarely get the bins taken away round my way.

We must also be one of the unhealthiest countries, Especially in Europe. Generalising here but as adults, other than those that love football or cricket etc. in their youth and then continue into adulthood, most adults in our country barely do any sport or exercise other than a tiny percentage that go to the gym or run regularly. Our diet (in general) has also been slowly getting worse and worse over recent years too.

Maybe he knows more than we do about science. When I moved 12 years ago I clearly remember being told on the news 1 in 5 of us will get cancer, this morning I'm told its 1 in 2. Would we all sit back an accept that sort of information about anything else. Why has that number leapt up, what are governments and science doing about it? Watching cats on YouTube and posting on X like the rest of the world.
People are living longer and the average age is going up. The longer you live the more likely you are to get cancer.

We must also be one of the unhealthiest countries, Especially in Europe. Generalising here but as adults, other than those that love football or cricket etc. in their youth and then continue into adulthood, most adults in our country barely do any sport or exercise other than a tiny percentage that go to the gym or run regularly. Our diet (in general) has also been slowly getting worse and worse over recent years too.

Doesn’t help when organisations like Cancer Research got criticised for “fat shaming” for a campaign they did a few years ago that compared obesity to smoking. I mean it’s literally their mission to educate the public and make them aware of the dangers over eating which is a major cause of cancer, diabetes and heart disease. I get that no one wants to hear they are overweight or they need to exercise more, but if cancer research aren’t allowed to tell the truth about cancer and the causes of it then I don’t know who is.

People are living longer and the average age is going up. The longer you live the more likely you are to get cancer.

Actually I understood longevity to be falling now the healthy - ration fed/wartime generation are deep into extra time.

Food education in this country is dreadful, absolutely astonishing those that can't cook a simple meal.

Heart related conditions are the biggest killer in this country and thats in general down to what we stick in our bodies, thats also no including the underlining conditions that stem from it.

The overall sugar intake has skyrocketed, in part from ultra processed foods, but also in general; soft drinks, energy drinks, sweets, etc. Humans are also less active than when I grew up in the 80s/90s. I'm no health professional, but it's got a lot to do about lifestyle, IMO.

Actually I understood longevity to be falling now the healthy - ration fed/wartime generation are deep into extra time.
I don't know about trends in England but in Ireland it's constantly increasing, with life expectancy higher here than in England.
Life expectancy is also linked to wealth, so maybe the downturn in the UKs economy in the last few years is having an impact?

The overall sugar intake has skyrocketed, in part from ultra processed foods, but also in general; soft drinks, energy drinks, sweets, etc. Humans are also less active than when I grew up in the 80s/90s. I'm no health professional, but it's got a lot to do about lifestyle, IMO.

Yep and development in society meaning everything built for people to do less, don't even have to get up to change the channel anymore haha, I jest but its a number of those gains that mean people are now inherently lazy. People don't even walk to pick up their takeways anymore

100%, when I was young there was only 4 channels on TV that were boring. Played outside all day every day in the garden or at parks with mates. Climbing trees, riding bikes etc and generally just mucking around. You don't see that as much now, more people inside on phones.

I also think in general the majority of adults are stressed and over worked so they have less time to spend with their children as well. I know I sometimes work a bit later than I want and miss that time with my daughter between nursery pick up and bed and because of that means I often don't have much time to cook anything so you end up eating crap.

Back