• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ron Vlaar

have to say ive only seen his name crop up since the WC - and i don't think it's wise to base ones opinion on International tournaments. not that you are doing so - but as i say i didn't noticed people mention him prior to the WC

I did bring him up specifically on here before the world cup, and a couple of other posters agreed that he would be a good signing. But I didn't suggest him last summer or anything like that and didn't anyone else doing so either.

I agree with monkeybarry that he's unspectacular, but solid. I really think going down the PL proven route this summer for the majority of our (first team) signings is a good choice and Vlaar seems like one of the better plausible options.

I also think that Vlaar alongside several of our current centre backs looks like a potentially good partnership, arguably as important as just the ability of each centre back. Whereas of our current 4 first team centre backs there are very few partnerships that I feel confident about.

Edit: But definitely a fair question, like you I'm cautious of rating players based on an international tournament alone.

Initially I thought that van gaal would get the holland players for Man U, but I keep reading about how he keeps dissing people off throughout his career....it's different playing for your country in the World Cup, compared to the daily grind at club level.

Surprised none of the red tops have not linked us with him.

Free transfer... centre half... PL experience... Tottenham Hotspur... How can they not come up with a story?

Seriously though, we could probably do much worse in our attempts to plug our leaky defence. Seems to be a good organiser, decent in the air and - odd brainfart apart - quite solid.

I'd rather stay with Verts/Fazio. Don't know why, but I've got a good feeling about these two. I think Fazio really needed a season to get up to speed in the pl, and next season we'll se a much better version of him. Vlaar will probably go to Liverpool and turn out not to be their saviour.

I rate Vlaar, but not sure it makes sense now from a squad management perspective. We have 4 senior centre backs in Fazio, Verts, Dier and Wimmer. 4 centre backs, with none of them particularly injury prone, seems just about right. Would be really hard pressed giving playing time to both Dier and Wimmer if Vlaar comes in.

Unless we're planning on moving out Fazio or Verts I don't really see it.

I rate Vlaar, but not sure it makes sense now from a squad management perspective. We have 4 senior centre backs in Fazio, Verts, Dier and Wimmer. 4 centre backs, with none of them particularly injury prone, seems just about right. Would be really hard pressed giving playing time to both Dier and Wimmer if Vlaar comes in.

Unless we're planning on moving out Fazio or Verts I don't really see it.

Can't say I agree with that. For a team playing in Europe, I feel five centre backs is more sensible. Just because they don't seem "injury prone" doesn't mean a couple of them won't pick up injuries at some stage. And then we're left with no choice but to play the same two central defenders in every match for a while. I do agree that if the season goes well, Spurs shouldn't need more than four CBs, and if we get to next May without having major injury problems then those who argued for five look like they got it wrong. But it's all about risk management in my view. Better safe than sorry.

As it happens though, while I also rate Vlaar, I think it's perfectly fine to have a youngster as a fifth CB. Right now we have Veljkovic in that position, and he can also cover in midfield, handily enough.

Vlaar is good, but doesn't scream " essential signing ".
With Wimmer he has growth potential, but if it doesn't work out has a resale value. Vlaar doesn't.

I'd rather stay with Verts/Fazio. Don't know why, but I've got a good feeling about these two. I think Fazio really needed a season to get up to speed in the pl, and next season we'll se a much better version of him. Vlaar will probably go to Liverpool and turn out not to be their saviour.

So would I, I think Fazio and Jan are a good pairing and both are better players then Vlaar.

Back