• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ron Vlaar

Modric THFC

Jimmy McCormick
http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-plot-ron-vlaar-transfer-3902689

Tottenham plot Ron Vlaar transfer from Aston Villa in players plus cash deal

Spurs supremo Daniel Levy is determined to beat Southampton to the Holland World Cup centre-half.

The north Londoners will offer money, and the chance to take German midfielder Lewis Holtby in exchange.

Levy may also throw in a player or two on loan for a season to help Villa as they face a hard campaign while trying to find a buyer for the club.

Tottenham want a strong defender and have been willing to let Michael Dawson go - with the former skipper a possible option to go to Villa in the deal.

New Spurs coach Mauricio Pochettino wants to strengthen the defence he has inherited, and the 29-year-old known as Concrete Ron would be a huge asset.

Southampton are already keen as they wait for Liverpool target Dejan Lovren to move on, but Tottenham will be confident they can beat the Saints in the race for a player who has just one year left on his contract.

And offering players to Paul Lambert's Villans as a consolation could get the deal over the line.

Villa are finding it hard to recruit and spend money, so trading one player for two - or even three - makes sense to them.

And a couple of loans would also fit neatly with wantaway owner Randy Lerner’s current thinking, as he tries not to burden the club with long-term debt while looking for a buyer.

Yeah just saw this!! do people think this is a significant upgrade on Daws/Kabs..... i am not so sure!!!

Does he have that long remaining on his contract to even countenance a players plus cash deal?

Or could this be yet more Mirror fiction?

Slow

Injury-prone

Turns 30 in february

Do not want to sell Holtby

= No thank you

While I don't like the sound of your first two points, I would have absolutely no issue in us signing a 29 year old centre half.... In fact I think it is just about the ideal age for a player in that position.

Yes get it done Levy. Would be a great signing. Although would he be exposed in our high line? Was one of the if not the best defender at the World Cup. But I was saying I wanted him before the World Cup.

PL experience.
Leader.
Good organiser.

Slow

Injury-prone

Turns 30 in february

Do not want to sell Holtby

= No thank you

Slow compared to who? I specifically tried to pay attention to his pace at the World Cup after someone claimed he was extremely slow. Didn't look particularly slow to me.

32 and 27 league appearances (all starts) for Villa in his two PL seasons, not that bad I think.

Turns 30, and that's what we need. Someone experienced who can also organize a back 4, something I think Vlaar has demonstrated himself capable of doing. If Vertonghen is out I don't trust any combination of Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches based on what we've seen in the past. I would put Vlaar in alongside either one as a better option than any combination of those 3.

Slow compared to who? I specifically tried to pay attention to his pace at the World Cup after someone claimed he was extremely slow. Didn't look particularly slow to me.

32 and 27 league appearances (all starts) for Villa in his two PL seasons, not that bad I think.

Turns 30, and that's what we need. Someone experienced who can also organize a back 4, something I think Vlaar has demonstrated himself capable of doing. If Vertonghen is out I don't trust any combination of Dawson, Kaboul and Chiriches based on what we've seen in the past. I would put Vlaar in alongside either one as a better option than any combination of those 3.

Throw in 3 32 game seasons in the 3 seasons prior to joining Villa.

The "injury prone" part is obviously a reference to the knee ligament problems he had 2007-08 which kept him out for most part of the season in Holland.

At first I thought no but he is a leader (something we are very short of), has international and PL experience and doesn't think he's Beckenbauer unlike most of our CB's. Would not want to let Holtby go as he looks exactly what Poch is looking for with the high tempo pressing.

No.

Holtby is one of those that needs to stay. Plus I value him far higher than I do Vlaar. So Villa would have to give us a lot of money even if the two players were exchanged.

Vlaar looked good in the World Cup. But that was in a three man central defence where he was free to pick up the pieces.

In a two man central defence playing a high line........? I'd fear for him and us. Visions of John Terry floundering all over the place under AVB's high line at Chelsea.

Have thought he was a solid, unspectacular, option since I saw him for Ditch u21s

Just a good experienced solid cb.
The kind you expect to be in a CL fringe team - Ajax, Hamburg, Sevilla.

Which is around the level we are at.

If you're talking about before the world cup then yes. If you're talking about previous transfer windows then not as I can remember.

have to say ive only seen his name crop up since the WC - and i don't think it's wise to base ones opinion on International tournaments. not that you are doing so - but as i say i didn't noticed people mention him prior to the WC

Back