• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

A 'decent' game? He was outstanding.

That touch to Eriksen that almost lead to a goal was sublime. And add to that his strength and determination to knock Lovren off the ball and deliver a perfect cross between a defender and the 'keep er for Eriksen's second. Then add him knocking in hatfuls of goals.

And here is something from Amy 'Gooner' Lawrence from The Guardain:

Just as it proved premature to load too many excitable expectations on the group of players Tottenham purchased with their Gareth Bale windfall, perhaps those who have dismissed their longer-term prospects at White Hart Lane will also turn out to be hasty. When the summer comes, and Tottenham attempt to analyse this season of turbulence and try to figure out the best way to progress, some encouraging answers might be staring them in the face.

The unstable and haphazard backdrop to the season has not made for the calmest environment for new signings to acclimatise, but there are signs that some of Tottenham's players will emerge the stronger for it. In the absence of Emmanuel Adebayor, Christian Eriksen and Roberto Soldado, right, demonstrated how the seeds of a promising partnership have been sown.

They have not had too many opportunities in tandem (they started only once together in the previous 11 matches, in the Europa League against Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk). On this occasion their movement, and the way they sought each other out, was noticeably complementary.

Eriksen's initiative, in showing the hunger to hunt and pounce on a couple of predatory finishes, shows there is more to him than the luxury arts of an authentic playmaker. Actually he scored the kind of goals that might have been more naturally associated with Soldado's repertoire. The Spaniard did not finesse his performance with a goal but he was warmly applauded for his efforts, with some silky link play central to Tottenham's ability to rouse themselves from a terribly self-inflicted 2-0 deficit.

A dozy opening half-hour, with Sherwood upstairs trying to keep out of trouble and get a decent view from the directors' box, showed 2013-14 Tottenham at their worst. That recklessly high line almost encouraged Southampton to play with confident assurance and press mistakes out of the home defence. There had been a number of alarm bells in the opening 15 minutes, and it felt as if the sharp Southampton attackers and leisurely Tottenham defenders were playing in different time zones. Sherwood's team posed themselves the kind of problems that make it too easy for critics to put two and two together and make Louis van Gaal.

Cavalier defending, with Kyle Naughton the chief culprit, allowed Southampton to cruise into a two-goal lead delivered expertly by Jay Rodriguez and Adam Lallana. Southampton's attacking movement and energy was so impressive, and Eriksen deserves credit for applying himself with the same quality to kickstart the Tottenham comeback.

He gave a brilliantly straight answer to the post-match question as to how Tottenham recovered from their cumbersome two-goal deficit. "Score three goals," he said plainly, fixing the interviewer with a stating the bleeding obvious stare. Simple.

Increased effort was paramount, as demonstrated by the Soldado-Eriksen connection to force the equaliser early in the second half. The Dane also had a hand in the matchwinner with a cute lay-off to invite Gylfi Sigurdsson to wallop in a late decider.

In a developmental year, this has been a challenging first season in English football for Eriksen. A fabulous start, as he excelled on his debut, and scored on his second appearance, outlined his promise. With his creative instincts and classy touch, he looked like a player blessed with the kind of talent to build a team around. That may well turn out to be the case but as he has adjusted to the Premier League it has been a learning process. Having shone fitfully, in the last few weeks Eriksen has found a new stride in this team, which augers well for next season when he should feel more settled.

Soldado is perhaps the more curious case, and midway though the game Gary Lineker tweeted his belief that the Spaniard can cut the mustard. "In all seriousness I reckon Soldado could still come good. Often takes foreign players a while to adapt. And he CAN play." He has not been an obvious favourite of Sherwood's, and recently admitted on Spanish radio that he might have abandoned ship if this Spurs experience had come when he was younger, saying: "I would have probably returned home after a month."

The statistics are still unhelpful and every expensive goalscorer is judged by his strike rate. Clearly Soldado needs to up the ante in that department. But while this season might be one to file away as a test of character, the broader picture of his Tottenham career could look different this time next year.

Players such as Soldado and Eriksen (together with the forgotten man Erik Lamela) were bought to collectively fill the chasm left by Bale. That was too tall an order while they endeavoured to adjust to a new football culture. But their qualities may well come in increasingly useful for Tottenham.

It's interesting what Soldado mentions about social media in his interview with Metro. That it apparently has helped him a hell of a lot that he has received so much support over Twitter and Instagram. Very interesting, I think. Maybe us fans can have more direct influence over our team than we think, just by making sure we really support the lads through the channels we can (like social media). The Butterfly Effect really do become more visible with the internet.

And you have to admire his attitude. What our football club needs. He's got plenty of skills too. Will become better and better. Bobby Solider, there's just something special about him. Love the way he always celebrates so passionately when we score. Had an excellent game yesterday. :)

Last edited:

Had a decent game (for him). After every match it says 'some nice link up play'. But that's not nearly enough. Suarez has some nice link up play too. Soldado was supposed to score 25 this season in his sleep. Needs to be scoring. That's what we need and thats what we brought him for. Can't keep relying on our midfielders to score. If he's just a 'link-up' man, and a very expensive one, then we still need a goal-scoring forward.

Doesn't seem to be hurting Chelsea. Don't get hung up on the stereotypical player roles, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Soldado is more than a link up man, he's damn close to a complete striker.

Yes, he isn't scoring (and he needs to fix that), but I'd tell people go watch the Southampton game again, I can clearly recall at least 3 occasions where he made the right run, lost his marker, got in the 6 yard box for the delivery and the cross either didn't come or was very poor (both Townsend & Eriksen were guilty of poor pass/decision).

He did the right thing for his teammates, unfortunately they haven't learned to play him in as well yet, I'm confident that at least Eriksen will pick his runs sooner vs. later

i thought he was a one-trick pony and he'd left his trick in Spain. i was dead wrong. sublime player. needs to regain his confidence and have more intelligent players like Erikson around him.

Spurs boss reveals what he told Soldado after Southampton win

Head coach Tim Sherwood revealed after the game that he had told him not to worry about goals and just focus on playing like a fan would – with everything he had.

“I thought he was great,” the Spurs boss said. “I said to Robbie he can’t score every week.

“Sometimes your play is not going to be fantastic. One thing you have to guarantee the fans is 100 per cent with your desire and when you leave the pitch you can hardly walk.

“He’s tired down there and that’s what he needs to be. He’s only going to get better from that because he runs around.

“He knew he had to step up to the plate as Ade wasn’t fit to play.”

Sherwood did admit that the Spaniard has been unfortunate that, because of the strength of the opposition, he hasn’t started regularly since his last goal against Cardiff in February.

“He’s been unlucky,” he said. “He scored against Cardiff and then we played Chelsea and Arsenal.

“He got left out because Adebayor has played so well but credit to him. He’s training well and done himself no harm.”
http://www.london24.com/sport/totte..._told_soldado_after_southampton_win_1_3476034

One thing you have to guarantee the fans is 100 per cent with your desire and when you leave the pitch you can hardly walk.

That kind of stone age mentality says it all really.

He’s tired down there and that’s what he needs to be. He’s only going to get better from that because he runs around.

Yes, dazzle us with your amazing tactical insight.

Henry, Anelka, Bergkamp....2nd season syndrome...full pre season and a full understanding of what to expect.

Better that than being the next Michael Ricketts

One thing you have to guarantee the fans is 100 per cent with your desire and when you leave the pitch you can hardly walk.

That kind of stone age mentality says it all really.

He’s tired down there and that’s what he needs to be. He’s only going to get better from that because he runs around.

Yes, dazzle us with your amazing tactical insight.

I'd prefer said stone-age mentality over 'give up after sixty minutes and mooch around for the remaining thirty before cheerfully jogging off after being tonked 4 or 5-0'. Fans like seeing players bleed for the club. Sherwood tries to encourage said dedication. Hence, Sherwood is in the right. And certainly Soldado's relentless effort hasn't done him much harm when it comes to the fans singing his name throughout the game, whether he's playing or not.

The second one, though...that sounds awfully like a certain 'run arahnd a bit'... :p

So he's probably going to finish the season with a grand total of 2 goals from open play in the league. He cost £26m and he's contributed 2 goals from open play in the league :ross::ross::ross:

To put it into context, i would expect a free transfer from the conference to get at least 4 playing in our team.

Last edited:

Since scoring against Cardiff he has played 309 minutes without scoring. In the same period Ade has played 810 minutes, scoring twice against Sunderland.

Since scoring against Cardiff he has played 309 minutes without scoring. In the same period Ade has played 810 minutes, scoring twice against Sunderland.

and the most pointless stat i've ever read award goes to.....

whats' the stats of how many open play goals Ade has scored this season in the league in comparison to Soldado?

and the most pointless stat i've ever read award goes to.....

whats' the stats of how many open play goals Ade has scored this season in the league in comparison to Soldado?

Apart from the three games Ade was "injured", Soldado was left on the bench. How is he going to score goals from there?

Apart from the three games Ade was "injured", Soldado was left on the bench. How is he going to score goals from there?

eh? i'm talking about (open play) goals to games/minutes ratio THIS SEASON for both players. I'm sure the season didn't start with the Cardiff (home) game?

So he's probably going to finish the season with a grand total of 2 goals from open play in the league. He cost £26m and he's contributed 2 goals from open play in the league :ross::ross::ross:

To put it into context, i would expect a free transfer from the conference to get at least 4 playing in our team.

Except he hasn't cost £26m, yet.

Back