• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Official - Soldado

poor guy was competing with ade, paulie, eriksen and lennon for space. under this situation, me too would have gone for Pav, who seemed capable of squeezing out a goal in the tightest of situations

I'm not prepared to just write him off after half a season, still a long way to go. When a striker gets a mental block it's horrible, these things have to just be seen out. Same as with Lamela, we'll regret selling him off 6 months down the line. I don't think our team looks balanced at all right now, which is a bigger problem.

It's not about balance, the team need a manager who is going to ignite some passion. Passion that is sorely missing at the moment. We need a winner, someone who has done it before, knows how to get the best out of players and has tactical awareness.

Regarding Soldado, what a disappointment? It doesn't matter how good he was in spain, he's in england now and is struggling to adapt to a faster paced, far more physical league. It doesn't help that he's playing in a team that has no movement or quick thinking/ passing but so does Adebayor and he uses strength to compensate.

It's not about balance, the team need a manager who is going to ignite some passion. Passion that is sorely missing at the moment. We need a winner, someone who has done it before, knows how to get the best out of players and has tactical awareness.

Regarding Soldado, what a disappointment? It doesn't matter how good he was in spain, he's in england now and is struggling to adapt to a faster paced, far more physical league. It doesn't help that he's playing in a team that has no movement or quick thinking/ passing but so does Adebayor and he uses strength to compensate.

Well put.

There were numerous times yesterday that we played very quick one touch football, adebayor chance in the first half springs to mind straight away. Half volley which Harper turned over

What is so disappointing for me about Soldado is that he seems incapable of creating (or even looking like creating) a goal for himself. For such an expensive player that AVB was convinced would be fantastic for us, he is such a let down.

He doesn't appear to possess any of the attributes of a top striker - strength, speed, good in the air, excellent shot with both feet. Absolutely nothing. What did AVB and Baldini see in him?

Bang on the money. Was there yesterday and he was a huge disappointment again. I cannot see what we have paid £26m for. I have a bet with a mate that he won't score more than 2 league goals to the end of the season.

I think he is having a tough time in settling into the league and the team. It has been disappointing that he hasn't scored a few more goals - Southampton away being a prime example. However, I do think that we should be a bit more understanding and allow him to feel more at home, the same going for Lamela.

We as a fanbase obviously expect someone to to hit the ground running when they have cost what Soldado and indeed, Lamela have cost. That is understandable to a degree but because it hasn't happened, we have to try and hold back on just wanting to discard them. I firmly believe that both players will look a lot better next season once they have had the benefit of playing and living in this country for a year and having a full pre season programme with our club rather than a 70-30 split between us and their former employers.

I think he is having a tough time in settling into the league and the team. It has been disappointing that he hasn't scored a few more goals - Southampton away being a prime example. However, I do think that we should be a bit more understanding and allow him to feel more at home, the same going for Lamela.

We as a fanbase obviously expect someone to to hit the ground running when they have cost what Soldado and indeed, Lamela have cost. That is understandable to a degree but because it hasn't happened, we have to try and hold back on just wanting to discard them. I firmly believe that both players will look a lot better next season once they have had the benefit of playing and living in this country for a year and having a full pre season programme with our club rather than a 70-30 split between us and their former employers.

For Lamela, patience is more affordable. He's younger and so will continue to develop, and could give us many years service ahead, until Real Madrid decide that he's their next big thing.

For Soldado, he's older, will not have a good sell on value, especially if he continues to perform as he is. He could prove to have a good couple of seasons with us, or he could prove to be an expensive mistake and we have to write his value off. If we write his value off, I can understand the board then becoming more touchy about the transfer fees of future signings, not wanting to be burned again. I hope Soldado succeeds, but it's looking less likely every time he puts on our jersey.

The guy is a good finisher and has proven it, had he not proven it in the past then yep I would have had serious concerns. You can argue that he isnt suited to this league but he has had chances - chances that in Valencia he was putting away regularly. So what has changed? Must be down to luck and confidence.

As someone mentioned, its a Torres situation which is a bit alarming. I think we need to write off this season with him but stay with him for next season BUT making sure that we actually play to his strengths. The first 15 games was not the case.

For Lamela, patience is more affordable. He's younger and so will continue to develop, and could give us many years service ahead, until Real Madrid decide that he's their next big thing.

For Soldado, he's older, will not have a good sell on value, especially if he continues to perform as he is. He could prove to have a good couple of seasons with us, or he could prove to be an expensive mistake and we have to write his value off. If we write his value off, I can understand the board then becoming more touchy about the transfer fees of future signings, not wanting to be burned again. I hope Soldado succeeds, but it's looking less likely every time he puts on our jersey.

I agree with El Guepardo, Soldado should be the finished article thats why we spent so much on a 28 year old. The biggest disappointment for me is we are not seeing any improvement from him, if he was holding the ball up more but missing chances we could say ok he's getting to grips with the league and just needs a goal to get his confidence up, but everygame is like its his debut for the club.

If he turns it around I will be amazed, I sadly think we need to cut our losses with him and sell him in the summer. Lamela has time and size on his side, if he bulks up a bit I still think he can become a good player for us

Of course, It is a slightly different situation to Lamela but I think we have to try and get away a little bit from this sell on value. If we can't sell him on and make anywhere near our money back then that is just one of those things imo. We have made plenty of money on numerous players, way over and above what we payed for them and I don't just mean players like Modric and Bale.

He cannot have just scored all the goals that he did for Valencia if he was a poor player. We just need to persevere with him rather than just discarding him. At the end of the day, we would never be getting that money back regardless. He could score 30 goals for the next 2 seasons and still no one would give us what we payed because of his age.

I think he just needs to get a couple of goals, that might come in the Europa game with Dnipro and then he will hopefully get a little patch of goals towards the end of the season.

If his lack of form was due to the adaptation process then you'd expect him to be struggling with getting into goal-scoring positions, because that is pretty much what his game is about, but that has not been the case as the problem has more so been in regards to his finishing. Initially under AVB you could argue he was adapting as he never seemed to be in the right position to get a strike on goal but under Sherwood, especially for the first few games, he has received numerous goal-scoring opportunities that he has just completely fluffed, which for me is more of an indication that he is severely suffering from a lack of confidence as opposed to a player struggling to adapt to the style of a new league.

Last edited:

There were numerous times yesterday that we played very quick one touch football, adebayor chance in the first half springs to mind straight away. Half volley which Harper turned over
Yes a nice move and volley, of course the cross to Ade delivered by...

I agree, but I'm not sure he'll be wearing lily white when he does
Agree that it'll be more likely an away game ;)

I'm still confident he will turn it around and everyone will be eating their words.

Back