• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Re: Soldado - Official! - Medical Completed!!

He'll be fine. Just need to create some chances. Dropping Townsend and bringing in Lamela would help Soldado

Nice assist from Soldado today, but he never really looked like scoring.

Which is kind of important if you're playing as a lone striker.

Defoe was much more lively in the 13 minutes he was given.

I knew this would happen when we signed him...people expect too much from him imo. He's a poacher and needs his teammates to create chances for him to be at his most effective. If i'm being totally honest he's got far better link up play and passing than i thought and i've been pleasantly surprised.

He needs his teammates to create more for him. Now we have Eriksen, Holtby on form and Lamela still to come it will happen. It's not like he's missing chances galore is it? he's getting in decent positions but not been given the opportunities (except Cardiff away).

How many times has that been said about a top poaching type striker in a big game?

Up against a solid Chelsea team where he got isolated in the second half and was well marshaled in the first this is kind of what happens to lone strikers. So often they don't look like scoring, until they get a chance and do.

He did what could be expected from him I thought. Got himself a touch of space to get the assist. Worked hard, tried to hold the ball up. Worked the channels a bit to get involved in play and create some space for others. Take part in our overall defensive play and pressing.

Not a great game, but not a bad one either.

If he wasn't working and did and Ade (drifted through the game) I'd be concerned. He worked his balls off and you may not have been able to see the on TV. He also got stuck in and gave as good as he got

I'd start Defoe next Sunday though as its against the Spam and he loves soaring against them

I really wanted us to sign him when he was at Valencia, and I'm sure he's still a quality goal-scorer. I just wish we went with Benteke. A striker who is a bit more independent from the rest of the team would seem to suit us more, although it is early days and hopefully, Soldaddy can prove his worth over the course of the season.

Would love Benteke up top for us though.

I really wanted us to sign him when he was at Valencia, and I'm sure he's still a quality goal-scorer. I just wish we went with Benteke. A striker who is a bit more independent from the rest of the team would seem to suit us more, although it is early days and hopefully, Soldaddy can prove his worth over the course of the season.

Would love Benteke up top for us though.

Completely agree

We would have had a injured Benteke

We have to figure out how we supply Soldado with the service JD's has got, imo, if Soldado had got the chance late in the game today that JD failed to put away, he would have scored. Remember thinking why hadn't we given Soldado that kind of chance during the game.

We have to figure out how we supply Soldado with the service JD's has got, imo, if Soldado had got the chance late in the game today that JD failed to put away, he would have scored. Remember thinking why hadn't we given Soldado that kind of chance during the game.

That reasoning doesnt work. If Soldado was on he may not have made the same run Defoe did in order to be in that position in the first place.

Lol like when he missed that sitter against Cardiff?

Not too worried about Soldado. I watched him for years and he know we haven't see close to the best of him yet. A goal or two will set him on his way.

That's not really fair, we were a man up for nearly the entire time Defoe was on. Before that we couldn't get possession over midfield, which was hardly Soldado's fault. I won't pretend he was great today, but it's hard to do more as a striker when your midfield is completely dominated from the 35th minute til Torres went off.

I'll make anyone a bet, soldado will score goals once townsend is out the team....

I thought Townsend was good today. No wasteful shots and looked to create for his teammates. His movement off ball could have been better but other than that it's hard to criticize him. He easily could have had an assist or two.

I was listening on the radio to some of the first half and it seemed that Soldado was getting stuck into the thick of things with Terry and Luiz; They seemed to be rattled by Soldado and getting into little niggly battles with him. Is he now our best wind-up merchant against scum like the chavs?

Bit odd, two of our best chances were through Townsend, just soldado was not in the right place at the right time.

Exactly, some people are just prone to myopic views of certain players. Andros made several darting runs and caused some havoc for Cole/eden. It seems to me that shot on sight policy might actually be from the coaches.

Exactly, some people are just prone to myopic views of certain players. Andros made several darting runs and caused some havoc for Cole/eden. It seems to me that shot on sight policy might actually be from the coaches.

I don't know...he's passed up better shots than the ones he takes from outside the box. I think it's more likely that the coaches told him to stop shooting so much.

thats completely wrong to assume that. in one of the recent games solly had a one on one with less of a disadvantaged angle like defoe did the other day and soly played it straight at the keeper

so the assumption he would score is completely biased in his favour and against defoe.

if i am honest i'm not to ken on that kind of reasoning to be honest. just cause of someones continental pedigree which quite frankly means dingdong once you come into the premier league and have to prove yourself...people start dingdonging all over and disrespecting people that have done a job here for years.

every time i have seen JD play for us he seems more involved than solly , defoe worked is way into that position. if solly was playing there is no telling how he would hav tried to work himself in there...he might never have gotten that opportunity

I love how Defoe and Ade got so much **** for lack of goals last season yet with Soldadi the excuse is lack of service. Defoe and Ade did not have the luxuries that Soldado currently has and i'm pretty confident both would have more than 2 goals if played from the start of the season.

Back