• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Berahino often plays as an inside forward and could play instead of Lamela or Chadli whilst being capable of playing backup to Kane.

AFAIK Austin has never played anywhere other than striker. So there's a huge amount of difference - it's about far more than just who you think makes a better striker.
There is also the additional factor that Berahino could play up with Kane behind him in the number 10 role which would give us a nice combination of pace, skill, strength and guile. Whereas I fear that Kane as a 10 playing behind Austin as a 9 would leave us a little short of pace up front. As I said before though Berahino AND Austin (as backup number 9 for when Kane doesn't play) would be be excellent business by us.

What I like about Berahino is that he would be effective both centrally and on either flank. I remember him tormenting the living day lights out of Man Utd last season in an evening match that was on the box.

Soldado could do with a mention occasionally, especially in his own thread

Yeah you are right and I will mention him.

The phrase 'absence makes the heart grow fonder' is so applicable right now. Mention Soldado now and a number of fans will talk about a class act who worked his gonad*s off and if it wasn't for sheer bad luck, he would have (and could still) be a top striker for us.

I am sorry but this is utter tripe..... where has the notion that he worked hard come from - there were times when we would have been better off having a traffic cone up top. He was constantly bullied by defenders, often seemed reluctant to truly put himself between the ball and a defender, barely held the ball up and brought others into play and I barely remember him ever chasing down a last cause..... in fact him putting in a half arsed jog next to a defender bringing the ball out was a pretty common site.

I remember on MFN last year when we had beaten Everton at home and Neville picked up on the difference that Kane made playing for us and compared him directly with Soldado in the game and also clips throughout the season. He spoke how Ade and Bob rarely pressed, chased down balls and the difference made with him in the side. I have always said it that whether it was in the right areas or not - Ade was more of a menace for defences and made them work harder on and off the ball.

For me as a centre half, I would bet that nearly every defender in the league (bar Lovren!!) would be so thankful to see Soldado on the team sheet as you know you will have an easy time on the ball, do not have to worry about any pace so you can get very close to him and dominate him physically - of course the guy has ability (everyone in the perm does) but you would be confident of dominating him in the air, on the ground and keeping him away from the goal.

The other issue is that his confidence is gone and so has his technique currently. He has missed nearly every type of chance possible and displayed a horrific lack of composure in front of goal. He has been an embarrassment and this perceived nice guy, tried hard doesn't wash. The whole thing is a £25m abomination and he HAS to be sold immediately.

People are clutching at straws if they think he could still have a role to play. A couple of nice crosses or passes does not make him an ideal candidate to play wide or deep and his performances have been lacklustre and painful to watch. I understand the hype around him when he signed but its time to let him go and move on

Haters will always use the 25m fee. It wasn't.

The same way his devoted supporters keep saying it was only 13m, that's OK. The deal was 26 million and do you really think further payments would only be activated if he scored 100 goals for us and was an unadulterated success? How do you know that another instalment wasn't due after a year, another lump sum after 20 games etc? YOU DON'T - the reported fee was 26m

Regardless, I am not a hater - For 13m or even less the guy has been a complete disaster. This whole 'work hard' thing has to stop - it is gonad*s and based upon very little.

A few good instagram posts and a look of anguish on his face after a mistake seems to have made him into a cult hero.

The perceived positives people look for in Soldado are the exact same that people look to deride Ade at any opportunity. I don't love or hate either but can't wait till Soldado is back in Spain away from our club.

Reactions: DTA
The same way his devoted supporters keep saying it was only 13m, that's OK. The deal was 26 million and do you really think further payments would only be activated if he scored 100 goals for us and was an unadulterated success? How do you know that another instalment wasn't due after a year, another lump sum after 20 games etc? YOU DON'T - the reported fee was 26m

Regardless, I am not a hater - For 13m or even less the guy has been a complete disaster. This whole 'work hard' thing has to stop - it is *******s and based upon very little.

A few good instagram posts and a look of anguish on his face after a mistake seems to have made him into a cult hero.

The perceived positives people look for in Soldado are the exact same that people look to deride Ade at any opportunity. I don't love or hate either but can't wait till Soldado is back in Spain away from our club.

Hard work and personal responsibility.

o_O

Why do people get so annoyed that some believe the reports that he only cost 13m? It's as though you want him to have cost as much as possible so it makes him even more of a failure - strange attitude to take imho

It's not as though it's plucked from thin air is it? it's come from a journo who has decent links with the club and was reported before he'd even kicked a ball for us

Again a very strange thing to take issue with

Why do people get so annoyed that some believe the reports that he only cost 13m? It's as though you want him to have cost as much as possible so it makes him even more of a failure - strange attitude to take imho

It's not as though it's plucked from thin air is it? it's come from a journo who has decent links with the club and was reported before he'd even kicked a ball for us

Again a very strange thing to take issue with
I think it is very likely that the up front fee paid by us was indeed £13 million (it isn't unusual for 50% of transfer fees to be paid up front). However I think it is very unlikely that no other clauses have been triggered over the two years that Soldado has been at Spurs.

Last edited:
I think it is very likely that our the front fee was indeed £13 million (it isn't unusual for 50% of transfer fees to be paid up front). However I think it is very unlikely that no other clauses have been triggered over the two years that Soldado has been at Spurs.

I am pretty confident that we haven't paid whatever clause was in there for goals scored.

I think it is very likely that our the front fee was indeed £13 million (it isn't unusual for 50% of transfer fees to be paid up front). However I think it is very unlikely that no other clauses have been triggered over the two years that Soldado has been at Spurs.

Well it certainly wouldn't have been goal scorinng related or trophy/CL dependant, so unless it was entirely appearence based it's unlikely it would have risen much higher - even then, how many games has he played in? (Too many LOL)

These types of addons are to protect the buying club if the signing turns out to be a dud, otherwise it'd just be staggered payments, basing it on appearnces wouldn't do that - especially the number of games a player can accumulate over two seasons (1 as a bit part player) of a 4 year deal.

Anyway the latest report which said he cost 13m was after the season finished and was worded so as to imply the targets have not yet been met, iirc

The largest add on would almost certainly have been Champions League qualification. Trophy wins.. Europa League win etc.

The same way his devoted supporters keep saying it was only 13m, that's OK.

Yes it is because in all likelihood its is the truth. He cost 13m +. Burt did an interview with him, about 6 months in and the source of the 13m came from the player himself, its the same article where he discusses his wife losing there baby and the support from everyone was superb.

Back