• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Roberto Soldado

Why isn't Baldini getting a lot more stick? Beats me.

Probably because Soldado was AVB's call and Baldini was just the go between who apparently got an excellent deal - 50% upfront and 50% add-ons which I guess were never reached.
Mainly because people who don't like AVB like to pretend that everything bad is AVB's fault and everything good is someone else's.

If Soldado scored 20 goals this season we'd all be reading about how AVB never wanted him etc.

He was out with a serious injury problem and took some time to come back. He got sent off (rather dubiously) against us and had an enforced suspension.

Do you want to take a bet with me here and now that he will score more than Solly by the end of the season (excluding penalties!!!)
He's played more than twice as many PL minutes than Soldado and Villa have no choice but to keep playing him, so of course he'll score more.

If Harry Kane played for Villa then my money would be on Soldado over Benteke.

He's played more than twice as many PL minutes than Soldado and Villa have no choice but to keep playing him, so of course he'll score more.

Selective as usual...

Even if they score exactly the same amount of goals, Benteke's sheer presence makes him ten times as useful as Soldado. Did you see Villa's first goal yesterday. Out of nothing the guy wins a hopeful punt forward and directs his knock on straight to Agbonlahor's feet. There is no chance in hell of Soldado doing anything equivalent.

Mainly because people who don't like AVB like to pretend that everything bad is AVB's fault and everything good is someone else's.

If Soldado scored 20 goals this season we'd all be reading about how AVB never wanted him etc.

What an utterly ridiculous post! Me not wanting AVB? I was one of his biggest fans, right till the end even when many was whinging him off!

However it is fairly obvious to me that Soldado was AVB's choice. This is mere speculation, but my feeling is that Levy was quite keen on Benteke - hence the early noises - as he was exactly the type of player Levy likes to buy. However Benteke was not an AVB type player (think Lukaku at Chelsea under AVB) and we soon shifted over to Soldado

Problem is we seem to have lost on all our three record signings. What are the chances of that?!
We've had more misses than hits with our record transfer signings in recent decades...

Ilie Dumitrescu (Steaua Bucharest, £2.6m - August 1994)... Giga Popescu (PSV, £2.9m - September 1994).... Chris Armstrong (Crystal Palace, £4.5m - June 1995)... Les Ferdinand (Saudi Sportswashing Machine, £6m - July 1997)... Sergei Rebrov (Dynamo Kiev, £11m - June 2000).... Darren Bent (Charlton, £16.5m - June 2007).... Paulinho (Corinthians, £17m - July 2013)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...broken-YOUR-Premier-League-club-20-years.html

Interesting!! I wonder what category Lamela will fall into? Its still 50-50 for me.

Not for me. He ant shown enough improvement to my mind. I think he might be decent come 26/27 but we can't wait. I would cut losses and try to get a good solid sale back to Italy

it was all by committee - let it rest.

even for poch ... hoping that poch gets his man won't make sense if the decision is still by committee.
i believe the common thing that ties the committee together is "player attributes" -that's what poch wants, that's what the committee scouts and buys.

What on earth does that last sentence mean? Non sequitur City Arizona !

What an utterly ridiculous post! Me not wanting AVB? I was one of his biggest fans, right till the end even when many was whinging him off!

However it is fairly obvious to me that Soldado was AVB's choice. This is mere speculation, but my feeling is that Levy was quite keen on Benteke - hence the early noises - as he was exactly the type of player Levy likes to buy. However Benteke was not an AVB type player (think Lukaku at Chelsea under AVB) and we soon shifted over to Soldado

The truth is Soldado was scouted, and signed, because he and everyone thought Bale was staying one more season. If Bale was in the side he would have probably scored at least 15-20 goals in his first season because there would've been real speed going forward.

It's been said before and will probably be said again. He would thrive in a different set up with more crosses coming in.

(let me clarify, I'm not saying we should change our set up)

The truth is Soldado was scouted, and signed, because he and everyone thought Bale was staying one more season. If Bale was in the side he would have probably scored at least 15-20 goals in his first season because there would've been real speed going forward.
I've said this from day one. I'm convinced the board thought Bale would stay for one more season and feed the balls into Soldado. He would have been immense with that scenario

True. When you look at Soldado when he first joined he was looking to make lots of runs but the ball never game. It was being passed sideways across the midfield at the time

Soldado was clearly AVB's call though. Baldini had only just joined when he went over to Valencia to conclude the deal.

Paulinho, Soldado, Chadli appeared to have been on the radar before Baldini joined. Capoue seemed to be AVB's call too as he went straight in the first XI. Think Chiriches, Lamela and Eriksen were Baldini's calls.

What on earth does that last sentence mean? Non sequitur City Arizona !
It's not that complicated but I'll talk you through it anyway.

If Villa had a striker as good as Kane then I'd expect Benteke to play a bit part like Soldado. As it stands, Villa have no choice but to play Benteke so just by being on the pitch more, he'll probably score more.

Soldado was clearly AVB's call though. Baldini had only just joined when he went over to Valencia to conclude the deal.

Paulinho, Soldado, Chadli appeared to have been on the radar before Baldini joined. Capoue seemed to be AVB's call too as he went straight in the first XI. Think Chiriches, Lamela and Eriksen were Baldini's calls.
Isn't it wonderfully convenient when all the players you don't like we're bought by a manager you don't like, and all the ones you do were bought by someone else?!

It's not that complicated but I'll talk you through it anyway.

If Villa had a striker as good as Kane then I'd expect Benteke to play a bit part like Soldado. As it stands, Villa have no choice but to play Benteke so just by being on the pitch more, he'll probably score more.

Or maybe Benteke would partner Kane. Incidentally, That combination is what I would like to see here for some games. I certainly don't want the Sollyman here by himself. Had enough of that thank you.

Villa have Agbonlahir and Weiman. We have Kane and.........no one.

Kane is being run into the ground for the very reason that we don't have any viable back up. It is beginning to drain him.

Isn't it wonderfully convenient when all the players you don't like we're bought by a manager you don't like, and all the ones you do were bought by someone else?!

Really? I think Chadli is proving to be a great buy whereas Chiriches was a waste of money and Lamela has potential but was massively overpriced. Not sure what you're getting at.

Or maybe Benteke would partner Kane. Incidentally, That combination is what I would like to see here for some games. I certainly don't want the Sollyman here by himself. Had enough of that thank you.

Villa have Agbonlahir and Weiman. We have Kane and.........no one.

Kane is being run into the ground for the very reason that we don't have any viable back up. It is beginning to drain him.
I hate to be the one to break it to you, but buying another striker and then putting an extra striker in our formation doesn't make either of them any less used up than Kane already is - we'd just have two tired strikers instead if one.

If you're suggesting we use Benteke to give Kane a break from time to time then I go back to my original point - buying him wouldn't have put us in any better a position than we are with Soldado. In fact, if most of the press are to be believed, we won't have to pay half of Soldado's fee due to clauses not being met. Whereas Villa wanted most of the fee up front so we'd be £30M in the hole rather than £16M.

Back