• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

Swansea is on example, but Chelsea under AVB is another. Of course in the latter there were a lot of other factors at play, but in general I think it's fair to say that such an approach will take more time to become effective, and that it might be less suited to some players than others. Though it's hard to say without seeing and hearing exactly what goes on on the training ground and in the dressing room.

Overall I would probably prefer this kind of system too. Though it could be a 'grass is always greener' effect.

I dont think its "grass is greener", I think its quite a logical conclusion.

AVBs time at Chelsea was a **** up, I think he made fundamental errors but also ultimately the players werent interested. His time at Porto? Well, speaks for itself doesnt it - his system won the league with record goals and clean sheets (iirc), a domestic cup and EUROPA League.

I think its all about the start. If the players get on board with the manager (as they did at Porto and Swansea) then good things can happen very quickly. If they dont you have a AVB at Chelsea situation...

Swansea is on example, but Chelsea under AVB is another. Of course in the latter there were a lot of other factors at play, but in general I think it's fair to say that such an approach will take more time to become effective, and that it might be less suited to some players than others. Though it's hard to say without seeing and hearing exactly what goes on on the training ground and in the dressing room.

Overall I would probably prefer this kind of system too. Though it could be a 'grass is always greener' effect.

That's the thing. If a manager is given the opportunity to build the team with the style of player he wants and all the obstacles are removed, then I think he will do well with the implemented system. It's easier to do that at a smaller club when trying to establish them than it is at a bigger club I would say. At Swansea, Rodgers could make it all his own, particularly as he was able to carry on a philosophy laid down by his predeccessors. At Chelsea, AVB tried to implement it but the obstacles were that influential players weren't suited to it. FWIW if the end result of today was Harry out and Villas-Boas in if these rumours are indeed going on then that would make me very happy. I don't think he'd have the obstacles here, most of our influential players should enjoy playing the way AVB wants, and would be natural, instinctive fits.

It's true that when watching a team that is given freedom, and things don't go well, it's understandable to say 'they need more direction'. But equally if a team is in bad form playing a structured system then the criticisms just as easily will be 'they need to be able to try something different now and again, they are too restricted'.

But in any case I think we do have some kind of system at Spurs. I think Harry's preferred system is wingers staying high up, waiting to counter and when there's an injury to one of them, we have to change. But there is a system there. It's just that if we do have to change it Harry is more willing to alter the approach to suit the players that come in, rather than play someone like Rafa as a pure winger in the Lennon mould.

Oh come on man. We can't pick and choose when we decide to give some sort of credibility to tabloid journalism

Thats precisely what you can do (not that I know whether the Mirror is worth listening too) because journalists often have a club where they are well connected - so you can pick up on journalist/club combinations to know which stories to pay attention too...

Thats precisely what you can do (not that I know whether the Mirror is worth listening too) because journalists often have a club where they are well connected - so you can pick up on journalist/club combinations to know which stories to pay attention too...

And most importanly - depending on your agenda

in any case I think we do have some kind of system at Spurs. I think Harry's preferred system is wingers staying high up, waiting to counter and when there's an injury to one of them, we have to change. But there is a system there. It's just that if we do have to change it Harry is more willing to alter the approach to suit the players that come in, rather than play someone like Rafa as a pure winger in the Lennon mould.

If that is the case why have the key players in this system (lone front man, wingers) not been provided more back up? There has been so little stragey to our buying...

Oh come on man. We can't pick and choose when we decide to give some sort of credibility to tabloid journalism

You're quite right, but we also have to consider how that story would get out there.

None of 'Arry's mates in the press would just start making brick up about him for no reason - I have a friend who until recently worked in the Sports (online) section of the Mirror and there are some people you run the story past first in order to keep them onside and keep the friendship in place. Harry is very high up that list of people.

If the Mirror are writing a story about Harry and it has no direct quotes, you can bet your house on the fact that the source is Harry himself.

Indeed.

Whereas when Redknapp loses say Lennon to injury, he ends up moving Rafa, Bale and/or Modric out of their best positions to accomodate a second (not even very good) forward.

The best way is surely to throw in someone like Gio or Fredericks as a direct replacement and kept the system that was working so successfully and our best players in their strongest positions.

Eh? you critcise Redknapp for playing a natural AM on the wing and suggest he should have instead played a natural AM on the wing?

Not at all - you can choose to ignore a perfectly valid source if the info is detriment to your general agenda. Just an observation

but its hardly like the are pillar of crisp accurate and non biased info

but either way, how many people actually truly can pinpoint the corrct tabloid journslidt for their club?

[I]
You're quite right, but we also have to consider how that story would get out there.

None of 'Arry's mates in the press would just start making brick up about him for no reason - I have a friend who until recently worked in the Sports (online) section of the Mirror and there are some people you run the story past first in order to keep them onside and keep the friendship in place. Harry is very high up that list of people.
If the Mirror are writing a story about Harry and it has no direct quotes, you can bet your house on the fact that the source is Harry himself[/I]

Yeah if you throw up enough crap every day,there be a chance some of it will stick one day.

Harry for England they were saying,only two other candidates and they got it wrong big style,lol.

Last edited:
Yeah if you throw up enough crap every day,there be a chance some of it will stick one day.

Harry for England they were saying,only two other candidates and they got it wrong big style,lol.

It wasn't just the press though was it? Harry was telling all his old mates at Portsmouth that the job was in the bag too - not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg here, but someone convinced someone else he was England manager elect.

It wasn't just the press though was it? Harry was telling all his old mates at Portsmouth that the job was in the bag too - not sure which is the chicken and which is the egg here, but someone convinced someone else he was England manager elect.

Why wouldn't he,if everyone kept saying to him he's the one and if so why,oh yeah the job he'd been doing at Tottenham for the last three years,what a crap record he had here.

Why wouldn't he,if everyone kept saying to him he's the one and if so why,oh yeah the job he'd been doing at Tottenham for the last three years,what a crap record he had here.

My point is that you can't assume the press made up the fact that he was going to get the job when you don't know who told whom it was going to happen.

Back