• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

I've been supporting this club for a long time, trust me - 3 top 5 finishes in a row is impressive - for Spurs.

who are now supported by people with amazing amnesia issues, it would seem

I'm more than happy for him to continue, but as for the longer term (beyond next season) I get the impression that Levy wants to keep his options open for a little while longer. I don't think they have the greatest relationship.

Jol managed 2 Top 5 finishes on the bounce and still wasn't enough to save him

All about context, imv - numbers alone are completely irrelevant.

AND, Jol didnt preside over two end of season debacles - which cost us two CL places. He didnt have nearly the squad that H has and Jol had lasagnagate as well.

Jol managed 2 Top 5 finishes on the bounce and still wasn't enough to save him

All about context, imv - numbers alone are completely irrelevant.

and in which of those seasons did he get into the CL quarter finals, or produce teams that dominated matches from start to finish?

You need to start wearing out another word, your excessive use of the word context has made it paper thin and meaningless.

AND, Jol didnt preside over two end of season debacles - which cost us two CL places. He didnt have nearly the squad that H has and Jol had lasagnagate as well.

Of course - both had to deal with different sets of variables. Jol had better strikers in his second 5th place season. Everything else behind them (bar King and Lennon) were Fulham/Rovers squad players at best. Which is were they ended up eventually.

Go back to playing with your four year old (or yourself if that makes you happy) and leave the grown ups to have a proper debate.

If you were having one I might agree, but seeing as I'm discussing this with someone who thinks that we have a manager who intends to start the season with Saha as our first line striker, quite why you think you are capable of having a rational debate is lost on me.

If you were having one I might agree, but seeing as I'm discussing this with someone who thinks that we have a manager who intends to start the season with Saha as our first line striker, quite why you think you are capable of having a rational debate is lost on me.

Again, you are off point and off message. The point I was making is that H has in all probability left us with only Saha up front. What he INTENDS is anyones guess. The FACTS speak for themselves. Ade was only on loan and therefore technically no longer our player. Defoe wants out because Redders had tinkled him off. H also sold Crouch and Pav with no replacement.

So quite who's fault is that?

Again, you are off point and off message. The point I was making is that H has in all probability left us with only Saha up front. What he INTENDS is anyones guess. The FACTS speak for themselves. Ade was only on loan and therefore technically no longer our player. Defoe wants out because Redders had tinkled him off. H also sold Crouch and Pav with no replacement.

Levy? He's the one that runs the show on transfers.

There's over two months till the season starts. Do seriously think the only business we'll do is give Saha a new contract?

nayimfromthehalfwayline said:
Redknapp is a manager of vast experience with average players and bottom end teams. He had NO experience at this level whatsoever. I think its fair to say since he joined he has far exceeded all expectation of him.

To be clear, Redknapp didnt join us with a record comparible to Hiddink, Capello, Mourinho...

And yet people mention managers like Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert as potential successors and are shouted down as naive and unrealistic because these managers dont have experience at this level!

There are things all three managers do I believe better than Redknapp. I think they each have a great deal of potential, and already show worthy qualities. If we took one on I would be excited at the prospect.

Amazing how quickly people forget.

totally agree with the sentiment of this post - i don't think there is one manager in the world (other than Mourinhio, backed with lot's of cash btw) who anyone could guarantee would come in and bring success or an improvement on HR - does that mean we should never change manager ?

i think in this particular part of the Great Redknapp Debate the difference is that some people are impressed with potential whilst others are more impressed with a c.v with cup wins and titles (from abroad with little comparative circumstances to ours) on one side you have people saying "so and so is a great manager because he has managed at the 'top level' and won titles in italy/spain/wherever" whilst the other side are saying "so and so is showing great potential in this country, he get's his team playing excellent football/is tactically astute/does ridiculously well within his budget etc etc"

for my money im more impressed with the qualities of a manager than the titles he has won - if the people saying they'd rather a 'proven' manager were to back that up with the qualities that manager has, that he could bring here then id be more swayed by their argument but everyone seems to be more concerned with what they have won rather than what they do. the next manager we have here, whenever that is - i want them to have the qualities that i mention above and i also think experience in this country is a huge factor as well - so for me the best candidates for the job are the managers that have been mentioned before by those of us arguing for potential.

It don't think it is Levy's repsonsibility to indentify the targets for Arry in addition to negotiating the transfers. ;)

On a side note - offering Saha a new contract would be a massive, massive mistake, imv.

There's over two months till the season starts. Do seriously think the only business we'll do is give Saha a new contract?

Who knows what is going to happen in the future. I do know how we currently stand though.

Righto, so discussing Jol in a Redknapp thread is sticking to the point is it.

The question is too silly to answer.

It don't think it is Levy's repsonsibility to indentify the targets for Arry in addition to negotiating the transfers. ;)

On a side note - offering Saha a new contract would be a massive, massive mistake, imv.

I read an article somewhere today about how Harry was pretty much sidelined in the transfer activity. Of course everyone is free to suggest targets, but Levy makes the decisions. It's all about getting value for money, potential and resale value. That rules out a lot of Harry's suggestions.

I read an article somewhere today about how Harry was pretty much sidelined in the transfer activity. Of course everyone is free to suggest targets, but Levy makes the decisions. It's all about getting value for money, potential and resale value. That rules out a lot of Harry's suggestions.

id imagine every well run club has some sort of limitations on what the manager can or cannot do in the transfer market. i can't imagine many club leave the manager free to sign every player they want

some might call it not backing the manager but it's more a case of managing the clubs finances/stability

Righto, so discussing Jol in a Redknapp thread is sticking to the point is it.

The question is too silly to answer.

Once again you fail to enter into a constructive debate. You must be proud to have the same intellect as your four year old daughter.

Are you suggesting it is Levy who indentifies the targets and even picks the team for HR?

Arry, here's a list of some players I'll buy for you. Make it work, old boy!

Sorry, but I find that extremelly far fetched.

Arry and his assistants /scouts draw a list (or asks someone to type it for them) and give is to Levy. Next they sit down and discuss the targets and Levy goes away to study each and every one - possible, affordable, sustainable, good investment vs. return, etc.

Look at Tevez for instance (lol)

HR - Daniel, I see he might be available. Would it be possible?

Levy goes away and investigates. Later on.

DL - No - can't work for us.

His words, mind you. Conversation closed. Same with Parker - Arry convinced Levy he would be very beneficial to the club and Levy in turn convince the board

I don't doubt that Levy or his lawyers do all of the negotiations over fees and salaries, but I doubt that Harry has no input into the targets.

I would imagine that in January when the targets they wanted were too expensive, off elsewhere or staying put that HR suggested the likes or Nelsen and Saha as stop gaps, to have as support for the front line players.

All of this opprobrium poured on Redknapp, under the mistaken impression that they were the age, fitness or calibre that HR actually wanted is ludicrous in the extreme. Another example of the stupidity of some of the supporters who use it as an example of his paucity of managerial skills, without seeing it as proof of his experience in the market.

Back