• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Redknapp

Exactly how good it is rather subjective though. Some think we're punching slightly above our weight, others think we should be doing better. To bring in someone else to maintain our current performance level is a risk, exactly how risky depends on how you see things. Going from Jol to Ramos was a calculated risk that didn't pay off. Levy won't do that again unless he feels the chance of success is a lot higher.

Well i believe have the players to do better, i suppose it all depends on how Levy feels about it as he is the man whose opinion really matters.

He did turn down Saudi Sportswashing Machine after Allardyce was sacked and Levy had been interested in him for some time, but it hadn't worked out earlier.

Graham, Gross and Santini came with league winning experience, none of them did too well.

Our two best managers since Venables both came with one measly cup win to their name.

Which serves as evidence against the notion that only a manager with a sparkling CV is fit to take us over...

Last edited:
What you add to the equation that some people are chosing to ignore is

- The risk is not just maybe the new manager comes 7th/8th the first year
- The risk is changing Harry for Rodgers (as example) could be a 150M risk (over 2-3 years) by time you factor in Harry's payoff, changing players to what the new manager wants, perhaps missing CL one year we would have gotten it, etc.
- And that's not even considering the new manager may fail

We are already at a fiscal disadvantage to everyone above us, plus some below us and have a stadium project to pay for. That kind of risk because "maybe" someone will do 1 spot better on the table? does not make any business sense.

- What risk? Fiscally compared to the last two seasons we are talking about the pennies the Europa league brings in
- ?ú150m is total scare mongering. Redknapp is in the last year of his deal, its a ?ú5m pay off tops. Any manager coming in does not need to rebuild the entire squad, unless its Sam Allardyce. Rodgers/Martinez as is the examples in this thread would thrive with the players we have and only need to suppliment weak areas (same as any manager)

I do hope this debate will end by August and we can all get behind Harry. He's our manager next season, it's a done deal, so let's hope we all move on before then.

And a reminder that the GG poll came out 75/25 in favour, so you anti folks need to accept you are a minority opinion. People will listen and debate with you, but you don't have a right to claim your argument is a no-brainer or self-evident. 75% disagreeing with you shows it is something very far short of that.

Fwiw, my favoured option was Harry to England, Martinez to Spurs. Not because I'm anti-Harry (I was very supportive of him all through the dog days post-Emirates this season), but because I thought England was a good job for him, and because of my emerging sense that Martinez is a Special One. As it is, I am happy that Harry has another go and still think he can crack Top 3.

- What risk? Fiscally compared to the last two seasons we are talking about the pennies the Europa league brings in
- ?ú150m is total scare mongering. Redknapp is in the last year of his deal, its a ?ú5m pay off tops. Any manager coming in does not need to rebuild the entire squad, unless its Sam Allardyce. Rodgers/Martinez as is the examples in this thread would thrive with the players we have and only need to suppliment weak areas (same as any manager)

Pay off, change of support staff, price for new manager nad his support staff, potential player in/out and if the new manager isn't an instant success (gets 7th twice), could easily be in that range. And I've yet to see a manager who keeps the squad they get, without real change.

I do hope this debate will end by August and we can all get behind Harry. He's our manager next season, it's a done deal, so let's hope we all move on before then.

And a reminder that the GG poll came out 75/25 in favour, so you anti folks need to accept you are a minority opinion. People will listen and debate with you, but you don't have a right to claim your argument is a no-brainer or self-evident. 75% disagreeing with you shows it is something very far short of that.

Fwiw, my favoured option was Harry to England, Martinez to Spurs. Not because I'm anti-Harry (I was very supportive of him all through the dog days post-Emirates this season), but because I thought England was a good job for him, and because of my emerging sense that Martinez is a Special One. As it is, I am happy that Harry has another go and still think he can crack Top 3.

I really can't see that happening, but i also can't see it needing to be happen.

As long as everyone is behind Spurs, the rest does not matter.

I really can't see that happening, but i also can't see it needing to be happen.

you have to wonder sometimes.

It seems that some people would rather see the club crack up, just to prove their pet theory or personal dislikes proved correct or disappear.

I'm sure everyone will always be behind Spurs no matter what. It's just hard to support management at times. Especially when they are employed by us and have digs at where our league table position 'should' be, become seriously defensive when asked about certain situations and cast up random points about where Spurs were before they took over, and have an uncanny ability to fold when tactics are required.

Some people think they are better than others on this board or people that dont like Harry are beneath them. Those are the ones I question most as those are the ones that lack any sort of clarity as to who should be in charge of our great club.

Harry's job was to finish in the top 4 which would give us CL football. He finished in the top 4 but we do not have CL football, regardless of what happened elsewhere, he failed. Would I support him enough to give him another year ? Yes, but only because the managers I'd like seem to be happy in their current jobs.

I'm sure everyone will always be behind Spurs no matter what. It's just hard to support management at times. Especially when they are employed by us and have digs at where our league table position 'should' be, become seriously defensive when asked about certain situations and cast up random points about where Spurs were before they took over, and have an uncanny ability to fold when tactics are required.

Some people think they are better than others on this board or people that dont like Harry are beneath them. Those are the ones I question most as those are the ones that lack any sort of clarity as to who should be in charge of our great club.

Harry's job was to finish in the top 4 which would give us CL football. He finished in the top 4 but we do not have CL football, regardless of what happened elsewhere, he failed. Would I support him enough to give him another year ? Yes, but only because the managers I'd like seem to be happy in their current jobs.

Plus he's only got one more year on his contract. So if he does under perform he can be let go for free.

Ehhh, what?

Ehhh, what?

I can do that too, look...

You see ? When you select bits and read them it makes no fudging sense. But if you dont select bits and read everything I fudging wrote it should be come clear.

I can do that too, look...

You see ? When you select bits and read them it makes no fudging sense. But if you dont select bits and read everything I fudging wrote it should be come clear.

Errr no. What you said is completely illogical, in the most literal sense, even if you read it all.

Well I've read plenty of the 'should he stay or should he go' Harry debates on the internet and one thing that I just cant agree with is , we go into the new season without either, Harry getting a new contract or we pay him off and appoint a new manager. This one year remaining on his contract has to be sorted either way and I'm not buying into all that one year rolling contract Guardiola had at Barcelona so if its okay for him, it'll be okay for Harry .

If Harry is not given the contract he feels he deserves and is asked to carry on with his duties whilst his contract is run down, I would expect some serious tactical blow-outs next season and our club will feel the wrath of Harry like we've not yet seen ...

For me, Levy has to either back him or sack him .

A new contract is his to earn. I'd leave till xmas at least. If he starts making a fuss, fire his ass.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896...ouple-redknapp-and-levy-must-put-differences#

Tottenham's odd couple Redknapp and Levy must put differences aside to avoid summer of strife
Relationship between the White Hart Lane powerbrokers has become increasingly fractious following Spurs' failure to secure Champions League but a solution must be found

Harry Redknapp himself describes his relationship with chairman Daniel Levy as one of an “odd couple” and recent speculation about differences of opinion would be nothing nothing new considering the history between the pair in the three-and-a-half years they have worked together at Tottenham.

Levy has a reputation as one of the most demanding executives in the country and his current opinion of Redknapp can be accurately gauged by the lack of movement with regards to the new contract offer the Spurs manager has asked for since missing out on the England job.

The rumours about the deterioration of their relationship have been rife, with suggestions in some quarters this week that Redknapp felt he needed to go on holiday and clear his head following the disappointment of failing to secure Champions League qualification.

February and the feel-good atmosphere that engulfed White Hart Lane suddenly feels a world away. Back then, Spurs were third in the Premier League and the chairman-manager formula was prospering. Levy granted Redknapp a holiday in Dubai following his court case and was in contact with the 65-year-old on a daily basis to try and persuade him to turn down a potential approach from the Football Association.

How things have changed.

Spurs suffered a terrible end-of-season slump, won just four of their final 12 games and finished in fourth spot having once been considered as genuine title contenders. The most bitter blow came in Munich last Saturday when Chelsea won the Champions League, relegating Spurs to the Europa League next season.

It presents challenges for both Levy and Redknapp, not least in how they are going to keep their best players, the likes of Gareth Bale and Luka Modric, from the clutches of Champions League-participating clubs.

On that matter, the pair will work together. But, increasingly, they are clashing.

Levy, for example, is the man driving the club’s transfer business - including attempts to sign Jan Vertonghen, Loic Remy and Emmanuel Adebayor - with Redknapp feeling increasingly isolated and out of the loop.

The slow progress in previous transfer windows has frustrated Redknapp, with Levy sometimes unwilling to pursue targets and at other times making unreasonable offers for players, his hardball stance notoriously maddening for players and other clubs.

Levy looks to run the club with good sense. With a ground capacity of 36,000 they are forced to make every penny possible from commercial revenues to stay competitive at the same time as raising ?ú400 million needed for a new stadium.

“I suppose anyone who’s working with Daniel would make an odd couple,” Redknapp said last year.

“He’s a businessman, a clever businessman with a fantastic business brain. He’s a good negotiator. It’s a very well-run club from the top. The new training ground will be amazing. The whole set-up, he has to take a lot of credit for the way he has run the club.”

If Levy is the businessman, Redknapp sees himself as the football man. While Levy was vindicated last year for his belligerent stance in keeping Modric, it was Redknapp who had to push his boss on an almost daily basis to sign Scott Parker.

But for both to get what they want, Champions League football is essential. Redknapp met his target of a top four finish this season but will accept the disappointment that the Londoners’ ended up praying for Bayern Munich to win on penalties, having once been 13 points clear of bitter rivals Arsenal in third place in the Premier League.

The likelihood is that Spurs will sell Luka Modric this summer and grant the playmaker his desire to leave. That will go some way towards softening the financial blow after missing out on ?ú35m in revenues that would have come from a place in Europe’s elite competition.

Levy has decided that he wants Redknapp to take charge of Spurs next season, but the England speculation has taken its toll.

During the team’s terrible run of form towards the end of the season, players privately complained about fatigue, a lack of tactics and match preparation. The suspicion was that Redknapp had mentally switched off, thinking he would be getting a call from the Football Association about becoming the next Three Lions manager.

In that period of limbo, Spurs sounded out potential replacements, including Swansea boss Brendan Rodgers, with forward-thinking, progressive ideas that made the Redknapp regime appear archaic to some within White Hart Lane.

In appointing Redknapp in October 2008, Levy accepted that he could not get his preferred management system - a director of football and head coach - to work.

If Redknapp does not receive an offer of a new contract - his current deal expires next summer - then speculation will hang over the club throughout next season. For the sake of stability, the Spurs boss needs to settle his differences with Levy and sign a new deal.

Clashes between managers and chairmen, particularly over transfers, are hardly new. Tottenham’s fourth placed finish this season, not to mention their performances, still indicate progress.

The odd couple has proven a strange but successful partnership in the past. They need to reconcile their differences and pull in the right direction once again.

Redknapp is a manager of vast experience with average players and bottom end teams. He had NO experience at this level whatsoever. I think its fair to say since he joined he has far exceeded all expectation of him.

To be clear, Redknapp didnt join us with a record comparible to Hiddink, Capello, Mourinho...

And yet people mention managers like Rodgers, Martinez and Lambert as potential successors and are shouted down as naive and unrealistic because these managers dont have experience at this level!

There are things all three managers do I believe better than Redknapp. I think they each have a great deal of potential, and already show worthy qualities. If we took one on I would be excited at the prospect.

Amazing how quickly people forget.

Agree with this. There are plenty of potential candidates out there who potentially could do a better job than Rednapp

I have been challenged to name a "winner" that I would like to replace him. I think there are many but I would personally favour either Rodgers or Moyes.

Rodgers has a great pedigree. Learned under Mourinho. Plays a great brand of attacking football. Gets the best out of players. Buys well. Is tactically astute. Has achieved some success. Did brilliantly to keep Swansea in the PL last season.

Moyes has consistently done it at the highest level despite being hampered by limited funds. Has a much better transfer record than Harry's - both buying and selling. His teams are always fit and competitive from start to finish. Has a passion and a great desire to win. Got Everton into the CL against all the odds. Has developed some really good young players through the ranks.

Others to consider would be Martinez and Lambert.

Any new appointment would have course be a risk. I dont think that Levy will sack Rednapp at the moment though. So this is merely speculation. As ASpace says - we will never know until we see someone else do the job. I really hope Rednapp delivers next season for all our sakes. However given the collapses of the last two years and his record in crucial games, I really have lost faith in him that is all.

I will of course continue to support the team whoever is the manager. We all want the best for Spurs - we just differ on how to achieve it
In my opinion.

which manager would you consider 3 top 5 finishes on the bounce, to be sufficient to earn a decent contract, then?

It's not up to me. I don't mind one way or the other. If Levy really saw him as our manager for a few more years I think would have gotten an offer long ago. Now it's up to Harry to impress.

It's not up to me. I don't mind one way or the other. If Levy really saw him as our manager for a few more years I think would have gotten an offer long ago.

Jol managed 2 Top 5 finishes on the bounce and still wasn't enough to save him

All about context, imv - numbers alone are completely irrelevant.

It's not up to me. I don't mind one way or the other. If Levy really saw him as our manager for a few more years I think would have gotten an offer long ago. Now it's up to Harry to impress.

I've been supporting this club for a long time, trust me - 3 top 5 finishes in a row is impressive - for Spurs.

who are now supported by people with amazing amnesia issues, it would seem

Back