• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Preseason 2014

Considering how their team fperformed in the World Cup compared to England, I don't think we have the moral authority to make fun of their strange football lingo, to be honest. :) Like with everything else, the US will overtake England in football sooner rather than later: it's inevitable. So we'd better get used to 'endzones' and 'three point conversions' becoming standard fare.

Never going to happen.

Never going to happen.

Oh please, take it from one who lives here and witnesses the growth of grass roots 'Soccer" on an almost daily basis, the US will be a real force at international level in the next ten years or so. Seattle Sounders are getting 60'000 fans at home games. If David Beckham gets his team of the ground in Miami, watch the sport thrive even faster here.
It's happening here and as an expat Londoner living here for ten years now, the development of the game here has been nothing short of astounding to watch. Yes I find all the bizarre terms and phrases irritating, but watch out because they will be a force to be reckoned with. Go Soccerball!:eek:

I agree with the view that Football will grow in the States to a major sport. I saw Ardiles play for Fort Lauderdale in the late 80's in front of about 3,000 fans in a back water stadium, now they fill 50,000 arena. Families like it as both sex can play it in local parks and it's far safer that gridiron. The main stumbling point for most Americans is the draw as they like to see an outright winner.

I wouldnt pretend to know that much about US football, but as has already been alluded to the growth in the US for the sport has been sensational. Exactly the same thing is happening there as used to happen in the early days of the PL - The main big names who came to the PL were stars who had already had their best careers (yes as with anything there are the odd exception) the likes of Zola, Vialli etc and from then the league went from strength to strength. To completely dismiss the notion that the US couldnt catch up with and surpass the EPL is nothing short of ignorance and arrogance. Living in the US is a amore attractive propostion, their country is so much bigger than ours the more popular the sport gets the more home grown stars they will produce. The marketing potential out there far exceeds anything over here.

It could easily happen at some point....

Oh please, take it from one who lives here and witnesses the growth of grass roots 'Soccer" on an almost daily basis, the US will be a real force at international level in the next ten years or so. Seattle Sounders are getting 60'000 fans at home games. If David Beckham gets his team of the ground in Miami, watch the sport thrive even faster here.
It's happening here and as an expat Londoner living here for ten years now, the development of the game here has been nothing short of astounding to watch. Yes I find all the bizarre terms and phrases irritating, but watch out because they will be a force to be reckoned with. Go Soccerball!:eek:

Don't want to take this really off topic but hasn't the US had stadiums getting packed out, people falling in love with football, playing it themselves etc... back when Pele and other big names were other in America only for it to then fall apart for about 20 years before being revamped as the MLS?

Don't want to take this really off topic but hasn't the US had stadiums getting packed out, people falling in love with football, playing it themselves etc... back when Pele and other big names were other in America only for it to then fall apart for about 20 years before being revamped as the MLS?

Completely different.

The original NASL was built on sand. No solid foundations. Just a bunch of fading stars from Europe and South America. No grass roots base to the pyramid. No U.S. stars rising through the ranks.

MLS has avoided those mistakes.

Thanks for the summaries and goals posts, didn't get the chance to see this one (yet at least, and doesn't sound like I missed out so I probably won't).

Hopefully just a result of a lot of changes and a lot of first team players still missing. Last two friendlies is usually where it starts getting a bit more serious and the team starts resembling what we'll see in the league.

For me Lennons performance against Toronto and Chicago was very encouraging. Looked more relaxed with the ball, mostly good passing and looked more determined. The one-two-one-two with Bobbie for the second goal last night? I haven't seen him doing that before.
Lamela is on track to gaining match fitness and confidence. What he did with Bobbie, Lennon and Eriksen against Toronto in the first have was a joy to watch.
Davies is also fitting in nicely, even did his job as a CD the last minutes against Chicago.
For me Walker, Townsend and Rose looks to have problems to adapt to the new system. The three of them keeps the ball for too long, but lets hope they will learn in the coming weeks.

This. I live in Canada, so whatever happens in the US filters through to us here in Ontario after a while, but interest in football is picking up massively across the place. Whenever TFC travel to the US, they're usually greeted with packed stadiums and relatively fierce home atmospheres, and reciprocally there seems to be more passion here at the BMO Field these days when teams come to play. TFC's picked up on this too: they're forming embryonic rivalries with the likes of Montreal and Sporting Kansas City, and for the first time I can genuinely feel a 'football culture' permeating North America whenever I flip ESPN on and watch the pre and post-game nattering when the over-enthusiastic commentators hype up routine challenges and fairly mundane skills to an outrageous degree. :p

As a nation, the US has always been one that constantly strives to overtly dominate at whatever endeavour it takes up: as a people, Americans tend to be fiercely nationalistic and competitive, and as individuals they're some of the most enthusiastic and accepting people you can find out there. All that together means that the US usually takes a long time to get into sports where it feels disadvantaged relative to the rest of the world (preferring to remain insular and committed to sports it regularly excels at), but once it picks up an overseas sport (Ice Hockey, or most of the Olympic sports) it pursues winning with a fervour rarely seen in more laid-back nations. Via a combination of the 'soccer mom' phenomenon following the 1994 World Cup, the unexpected run to the quarter-finals of the 2002 WC, and the post-2000 influx of Mexican and Latino immigrants from the South/football-loving immigrants from elsewhere in the world, the United States has finally started turning its attention to football. And as K.D.D.D.Soc and harr1984 have mentioned, the advantage of football relative to the other sports the US plays and the huge marketing potential of the game in the North America means that, sooner rather than later, it will become a fully-fledged national past-time, up there with American football, baseball and hockey.

And when that happens (coupled with the effects of the wise investments American football administrators are making in grass-roots football across the country coming to fruition), the sceptered isle will probably have to make way in yet another sport as the US goes barreling past. :p

From what has been seen from Poch in the past, plus how we seem to be in the friendlies plays so far, how do people think we will cope nearer the end of seasons?

Will we be physically strong nearer the end of games, especially tight games? Will we be physically strong nearer the end of the season?

I must admit the pressing game that Poch seems to favour makes me worry that perhaps it can drain players physically over a season. I seem to remember Athletic Bilbao tailing off in Bielsa's last days; i wonder if the training around constant pressing was starting to take a toll after the 'punching-above-our-weight' allure starts to wane.:-k

I have to say (and this might be controversial here but) in AVB's fisrt season, the last 3/4 months I found we seemed to have that physical edge to get late equalisers/winners. This to me came from the fact that we were a bit minimalist (sometimes even boring) in our approach and we certainly didn't do constant pressing. It was damn effective at that time though. Perhaps the time we've been most able to 'hang in there' and get something out of a game when it seemed we were/should have been well out of it.

My main fear now would be that our 'pressing game' if implemented like it seems Poch might (like imo in the case of Bielsa) may lead to near end of season burnout.

Am I worrying over nothing much? Are there 'down-times' playing the way that the Bielsa-followers (like Poch) like to try and implement?
One thing that AVB and Mourinho do have in common is that they try and take advantage of times in a game when you can 'rest' and run the clock down a bit. Over a season this can be very handy (though, there is nothing like 'resting' whilst clocking up goals a la Rodgers' Liverpool last season!).

In fact, are there any 'big clubs' who play the Bielsa-style pressing game across Europe?

For me Lennons performance against Toronto and Chicago was very encouraging. Looked more relaxed with the ball, mostly good passing and looked more determined. The one-two-one-two with Bobbie for the second goal last night? I haven't seen him doing that before.
Lamela is on track to gaining match fitness and confidence. What he did with Bobbie, Lennon and Eriksen against Toronto in the first have was a joy to watch.
Davies is also fitting in nicely, even did his job as a CD the last minutes against Chicago.
For me Walker, Townsend and Rose looks to have problems to adapt to the new system. The three of them keeps the ball for too long, but lets hope they will learn in the coming weeks.

Agree with everything in this post . Last season was a poor one for Lennon and I were beginning to lose my patience with him. I've always seen him more than just a right winger and I'm hoping Poch will do too. I want to see Lennon expend his energy further up the field, with and without the ball rather than running the line on the right.

We could be being harsh on Walker Rose and Townsend as two of them are returning from injuries, but I fear you're right .

Agree with everything in this post . Last season was a poor one for Lennon and I were beginning to lose my patience with him. I've always seen him more than just a right winger and I'm hoping Poch will do too. I want to see Lennon expend his energy further up the field, with and without the ball rather than running the line on the right.

We could be being harsh on Walker Rose and Townsend as two of them are returning from injuries, but I fear you're right .

Rose and Townsend I have my doubts about, but Walker was clearly playing within himself, not sure if it was a confidence thing, extra caution due to length of layoff, but he never got of 2nd gear.

This. I live in Canada, so whatever happens in the US filters through to us here in Ontario after a while, but interest in football is picking up massively across the place. Whenever TFC travel to the US, they're usually greeted with packed stadiums and relatively fierce home atmospheres, and reciprocally there seems to be more passion here at the BMO Field these days when teams come to play. TFC's picked up on this too: they're forming embryonic rivalries with the likes of Montreal and Sporting Kansas City, and for the first time I can genuinely feel a 'football culture' permeating North America whenever I flip ESPN on and watch the pre and post-game nattering when the over-enthusiastic commentators hype up routine challenges and fairly mundane skills to an outrageous degree. :p

As a nation, the US has always been one that constantly strives to overtly dominate at whatever endeavour it takes up: as a people, Americans tend to be fiercely nationalistic and competitive, and as individuals they're some of the most enthusiastic and accepting people you can find out there. All that together means that the US usually takes a long time to get into sports where it feels disadvantaged relative to the rest of the world (preferring to remain insular and committed to sports it regularly excels at), but once it picks up an overseas sport (Ice Hockey, or most of the Olympic sports) it pursues winning with a fervour rarely seen in more laid-back nations. Via a combination of the 'soccer mom' phenomenon following the 1994 World Cup, the unexpected run to the quarter-finals of the 2002 WC, and the post-2000 influx of Mexican and Latino immigrants from the South/football-loving immigrants from elsewhere in the world, the United States has finally started turning its attention to football. And as K.D.D.D.Soc and harr1984 have mentioned, the advantage of football relative to the other sports the US plays and the huge marketing potential of the game in the North America means that, sooner rather than later, it will become a fully-fledged national past-time, up there with American football, baseball and hockey.

And when that happens (coupled with the effects of the wise investments American football administrators are making in grass-roots football across the country coming to fruition), the sceptered isle will probably have to make way in yet another sport as the US goes barreling past. :p

Fantastic post and couldn't agree more.

Football/Soccer (whatever its called) has always been popular in the US to some extent (large immigrant population, played extensively at school levels).

People talk about the World Cup, or any other "pick your point of view" as the key influencers for the progress of football in the US, a lot of people will disagree with me, but the big change that has and will continue to foster growth of the sport in America is the designated player model, specifically starting with David Beckham.

Here's why, 10 years ago, like most gifted athletic kids in the US, you would be playing "soccer" +1 or 2 of Baseball/Basketball(see Nash here)/American Football at school/college/university level, time comes for you to make a choice at which one you will take a sot at going Pro with, in a country where money is revered, you look at your earning potential, Baseball/Basketball/American Football = millions of dollars annually, Soccer (outside of you being one of the few American players to make it in Europe) = less than a $100K. Not a difficult choice ... best players went to other sports.

With Beckham showing you could stay in MLS and be one of the best paid athletes, the expansion of the designated player system, you now have the opportunity to stay in US and make good money (see Donovan/Dempsey examples), better athletes will opt for soccer.

Now all they need is a college soccer system that makes money and they will really improve over next 10 or so years.

I second that commendation.

The US national team already seems to be in the same league as the England team and as international success builds, local interest will take root.

FWIW, as I type this, business channel CNBC has just announced it is to interview the business officer of a New York soccer team about its new sponsorship deal.

It might even by the Red Bulls, the team famous for beating Arsenal FC last week in the New York Cup.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/27/sports/soccer/red-bulls-edge-arsenal.html?ref=soccer&_r=0

Arsenal thus become the first Premiership team to lose to a MLS team in a (pseudo) competitive match, I believe.

Edit: Ah, it is New York FC, not the Red Bulls.

Last edited:
Back