• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre-Season: *** Tottenham Hotspur vs Real Madrid OPSFMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Difference between a feeder club and a club that sells

- Ajax, SCBC, West Ham are feeder clubs
- All clubs except Real/Barca are selling clubs, look at Manure, first Ronaldo, now De Gea, no choice.

Our Academy is very good, but people don't get/understand what success is

- One King, Kane, etc. that becomes a great player once every x number of years is great
- but the Mason, Pritchard, etc. that help us as decent PL level players and squad depth are the main draw (save us on mid level buys).
- And the Livermore, Cauker, etc. that we sell on for 3-7M make it almost a zero cost operation to us.

This is also the first real crop of youngsters to have come through the academy since we ramped up our focus on youth development several seasons ago - I mean it could purely be coincidence that we find ourselves with 4 or 5 (?) exciting young players in the first team squad this season and after this we won't produce any more but i think as long as we keep doing what we have been doing we can expect to see good returns over the coming years

How to change a thread...

But it's relevant to highlight where we are and what our current ambitions are

4 clubs in the world dictate who and what they want and that's Barca and Madrid plus City and PSG due to their oil money or scale/attraction

You the have to find your niche and fit in your own place in the pecking order

It's a world wide game now and that's a very Big change from 20 years ago... And a big change from only 10 years ago

We as a club are changing our strategy to suit our position and finances. Is there anything wrong with that?

We all would love the team to win the league but currently we don't have the finances or clout to do that. We have to aim for as high as we can and if we weren't doing that I would be concerned

Our current philosophy is develop our Own players whilst investing in talent that can develop with is. Again is that a bad strategy?

Even with a new stadium and bigger financial means we may be able to afford better players but attracting them is a different position.

United this season would not have go Schweinstegier if they weren't in the champions league imo even with the mega salary their sure to be paying him

What we have to do is become the best pound for pound fighter for our size and see where that takes us

Did you actually read my post? GB was stating that our new model for success was dependent on a production line so that when/if the current crop of Kane, Bentaleb etc are sold, they will be replaced by new superstars from our academy. I was pointing out that very, very few have made it as successes from our academy in the past and indeed the only top, top players I can recall coming from there in recent times were Hoddle, King and Judas.

This strategy therefore hardly gives me cause for optimism.

But how long has our current youth strategy been in place? Since it has, we have had a stead stream of Premier League quality players and the signs are that the next group is as good or possibly even better than the current lot.

But how long has our current youth strategy been in place? Since it has, we have had a stead stream of Premier League quality players and the signs are that the next group is as good or possibly even better than the current lot.

It's been in place since the days of Moniz where paper you we changed the focus from athelticmsim to skill

We have brought through in recent years players there were sold for very good money at no detriment to the club

The new crop are an extremely well developed and coached bunch that could, could be anything with the right next steps. Each player needs a tailored plan and I believe we actually do that now

It wouldn't be suprising to see us with a suqad in a few years that's half from the youth set up

It also wouldn't be suprising to see with a squad with only one or two due to the nature of players stepping up and developing

What is key is how many of these players make it firstly as professional players and ideally premier league quality and good enough for us.

The signs are hugely encouraging and exciting but as with every battle there will be knocks on the way

How to change a thread...

But it's relevant to highlight where we are and what our current ambitions are

4 clubs in the world dictate who and what they want and that's Barca and Madrid plus City and PSG due to their oil money or scale/attraction

You the have to find your niche and fit in your own place in the pecking order

It's a world wide game now and that's a very Big change from 20 years ago... And a big change from only 10 years ago

We as a club are changing our strategy to suit our position and finances. Is there anything wrong with that?

We all would love the team to win the league but currently we don't have the finances or clout to do that. We have to aim for as high as we can and if we weren't doing that I would be concerned

Our current philosophy is develop our Own players whilst investing in talent that can develop with is. Again is that a bad strategy?

Even with a new stadium and bigger financial means we may be able to afford better players but attracting them is a different position.

United this season would not have go Schweinstegier if they weren't in the champions league imo even with the mega salary their sure to be paying him

What we have to do is become the best pound for pound fighter for our size and see where that takes us
Good point but I think you are doing Man United a disservice there. They got Di Maria last year without being in the champions league. They can get anyone they want to really regardless of the champions league because they are the most successful club and largest club in English football.

I agree it is too early to judge. However, my main point is that while I can agree with the overarching policy of a youth strategy, my concern is over reliance on this to stand us in good stead - particularily if we don't spplement our youth with real quality in key positions. That is where our Achilles heel will prove to be imo.

Good point but I think you are doing Man United a disservice there. They got Di Maria last year without being in the champions league. They can get anyone they want to really regardless of the champions league because they are the most successful club and largest club in English football.

They paid £60m and just lost £20m on him due to having no patience caused by a lack of success

There huge but last season he was the only proven top player they signed and that was because he was in £250k a week and no one else bid as much for him when Madrid were clear he was being sold

In this league they could get anyone they wanted to because they can soend more than most but there not as attractive as they were by any means

If they get a period of success and stability then they would be like Munich IMO in that they are the biggest side but also the side with most current success

Next season we will have a minimum of three players from our youth team as first choice starter for us (Rose, Bentaleb and Kane) and perhaps 4 assuming we don't sign another central midfield player and Mason continues. That is an unbelievably good number of players to have brought through the academy.... and those players have all seen off expensive signings to earn their place in the team. On occasions those 4 are also likely to be supplemented the likes of Pritchard, Carrol and Townsend. Behind those three there are also the likes of Winks, Onomah, Velkojvic, Kyle Walker Peters, Oduwa, Cameron Carter Vickers and Mcgee. With numerous other very highly rated players in the next age groups coming through (Edwards, Sterling, etc).

Having so many talented youth players is great for the morale and togetherness of the squad and also ensures that we don't need to go out and waste money on players like Stambouli to make up the numbers. If we can continue to nuture our youth in the right way then it should allow us to use all of our budget on buying the 2 or 3 special players that elevate a team into the top 4.... and it's worth pointing out here that developing our youth in the right way will often involve allowing them to go off and have good loan moves - even when the player might be useful in a few games for Spurs).

Next season we will have a minimum of three players from our youth team as first choice starter for us (Rose, Bentaleb and Kane) and perhaps 4 assuming we don't sign another central midfield player and Mason continues. That is an unbelievably good number of players to have brought through the academy.... and those players have all seen off expensive signings to earn their place in the team. On occasions those 4 are also likely to be supplemented the likes of Pritchard, Carrol and Townsend. Behind those three there are also the likes of Winks, Onomah, Velkojvic, Kyle Walker Peters, Oduwa, Cameron Carter Vickers and Mcgee. With numerous other very highly rated players in the next age groups coming through (Edwards, Sterling, etc).

Having so many talented youth players is great for the morale and togetherness of the squad and also ensures that we don't need to go out and waste money on players like Stambouli to make up the numbers. If we can continue to nuture our youth in the right way then it should allow us to use all of our budget on buying the 2 or 3 special players that elevate a team into the top 4.... and it's worth pointing out here that developing our youth in the right way will often involve allowing them to go off and have good loan moves - even when the player might be useful in a few games for Spurs).
Good post. It certainly is something to be proud of. It's like our own La Masia.

Excellent post. The key part is highlighted and what I have been banging on about.

agree with a lot of what you say, but who do you consider special players that we could realistically sign?

agree with a lot of what you say, but who do you consider special players that we could realistically sign?

When I say ‘special’ I don’t necessarily mean World class players who are already proven, I mean young, exciting talents who are just breaking through and starting to look special…. For example Depay (when we were first linked a year before Man Utd took him), Icardi, Kramer, Lacazette, Abdennour, Tielemens, etc)

20 million pound type signings that are affordable if we don't have to keep paying 6 million fees to fill squad positions.

When I say ‘special’ I don’t necessarily mean World class players who are already proven, I mean young, exciting talents who are just breaking through and starting to look special…. For example Depay (when we were first linked a year before Man Utd took him), Icardi, Kramer, Lacazette, Abdennour, Tielemens, etc)

20 million pound type signings that are affordable if we don't have to keep paying 6 million fees to fill squad positions.

but do you think the club are prepared to gamble on these 20 mill plus signings, however talented they might be. I think we now have a manager and chairman who both are careful with money and value and will not overspend on any player.

i think we will be looking at 15 mill or less, sub 25 year old players.......yes we will look for young exciting talents who are just breaking through, but even these are costing a lot these days and their transfer fees will put us off and just make us look elsewhere imo.

but do you think the club are prepared to gamble on these 20 mill plus signings, however talented they might be. I think we now have a manager and chairman who both are careful with money and value and will not overspend on any player.

i think we will be looking at 15 mill or less, sub 25 year old players.......yes we will look for young exciting talents who are just breaking through, but even these are costing a lot these days and their transfer fees will put us off and just make us look elsewhere imo.

Yes yes and all day long yes - we must be prepared to "gamble" 20 million plus on two or three players that can make the difference.

Think of it like this. When we signed the likes of Modric and BerbatoV, they would now be in the 20 million plus price range in today's market. Those are the type of players we need to supplement our youth.

Yes yes and all day long yes - we must be prepared to "gamble" 20 million plus on two or three players that can make the difference.

Think of it like this. When we signed the likes of Modric and BerbatoV, they would now be in the 20 million plus price range in today's market. Those are the type of players we need to supplement our youth.

i agree, but like i said i get the feeling Poch and Levy dont think like this

the club will take a long time to recover from wasting the Bale money like we did. Weve now gone in a whole different direction with our dealings

i agree, but like i said i get the feeling Poch and Levy dont think like this

the club will take a long time to recover from wasting the Bale money like we did. Weve now gone in a whole different direction with our dealings

We've reverted to type more than gone a whole other direction, imv

Indeed.

And with the added TV money, £20-25m is the new £15m.

i personally dont think it works like that. The new tv money will be swallowed up by higher wages

also think about it, up until now we have signed one player over 20 mill in Lamela, mainly because of the Bale money, and look how that has turned out. Levy is risk averse, and he will be devastated at how much money we have lost on recent big money moves

Actually, a big test will come this summer with Berahino. Lets see if we go above 20 mill for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back