• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Pre-Season: *** Tottenham Hotspur vs MLS All-Stars OPSFMT ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt watch the full game but the bits I did i was quite impressed, especially with the game being played at altitude.
We looked to have real pace on the break and the young players look a threat already, real eveidence of the centre halfs taking the ball off the keeper in the right and left back position. Cant see that working with Fazio but its a brave style to play, hope we have the players for it.

And that was a fantastic achievement taking into account the said pairs age and experience but to expect a top four finish with them playing in the majority of league games is unreasonable looking at the strength of the teams above us, so what is your point?
It will be a real freak for us to finish top 4 with the amount they are spending. But it is not madness to think we can finish top 6 with the pair (as was the statement) considering we did it last year and we have a years improvement

Do you think it would be a good idea to play him in midfield if the style of play does not suit him?
For what it's worth, I think the best thing for Veljkovic (who I really rate) would be a season-long loan to one of the teams pushing for Championship promotion (assuming one of them needs a centre back - which I think is probably his best position, long term). Then he can come back next season and replace whichever of our centre-backs gets the least amount of game-time this season. I don't think a season largely spent on the Spurs bench is what he needs at this point in his career. But I do think he might be ready next year to step up into our first team.

For what it's worth, I think the best thing for Veljkovic (who I really rate) would be a season-long loan to one of the teams pushing for Championship promotion (assuming one of them needs a centre back - which I think is probably his best position, long term). Then he can come back next season and replace whichever of our centre-backs gets the least amount of game-time this season. I don't think a season largely spent on the Spurs bench is what he needs at this point in his career. But I do think he might be ready next year to step up into our first team.

Sounds sensible to me

Loan him to Serie A. That's where he'll end up playing. We at least owe him that.

Loan him to Serie A. That's where he'll end up playing. We at least owe him that.
From what I've seen of him (albeit mostly for his national team at under-age level) he has the potential to be a top quality player. I don't share your eagerness to write him off just yet. I'd rather keep him in England and see if he starts to fulfil his potential.

From what I've seen of him (albeit mostly for his national team at under-age level) he has the potential to be a top quality player. I don't share your eagerness to write him off just yet. I'd rather keep him in England and see if he starts to fulfil his potential.

I doubt the Championship suits his playing style.

I doubt the Championship suits his playing style.
Really? What is it about his playing style (at CB) that wouldn't suit the Championship?

He's comfortable with the ball at his feet and always seems to be in the right place to make a crucial interception. He isn't a speedster, that's true, but is no slow-coach either (certainly holds his own against any of our current first team CBs in terms of pace). He's good in the air and his passing is excellent. He really has the potential to be the all-round defender.

Over the past 3 years or so he's the one youth player that's really stood out for me. I'd love to say I foresaw the emergence of Bentaleb or Kane... I didn't... but I've seen Veljkovic play maybe 6 or 7 times and I've not seen him have a bad game so far. That's pretty impressive in my book. He's not the finished article yet; needs to be more physically assertive and he does have a tendency to get turned... but those are things that come with experience (I mean, the kid's only 19... it'd be a miracle if he was a fully rounded centre back by now).

Personally I've seen nothing to suggest he couldn't handle the Championship this year. Nothing at all. But maybe I'm missing something. What makes you think he couldn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back